Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CSR got my HR20's serial number wrong but it works fine anyway. Should I worry?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Fish Man

Fish Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

Here's the deal:

My 3 week old HR20 was getting flakier and flakier so I decided it was clearly defective and called the distributor I got it from (Value Electronics) for a replacement. (I considered getting the replacement through DirecTV, but thought going through Value Electronics would be more painless.)

They sent me a new box, from which they had specifically removed the access card (told me to use the one from the defective receiver). They sent with it a return label that will return the old one to "DSI", the wholesaler from whom Value Electronics apparently got it.

I connected up the new box, with old access card installed and called DirecTV to activate it.

The CSR was quite friendly but he thrashed for quite some time to get the new unit activated. He clearly wasn't the most competent CSR there. He repeatedly apologized for all the trouble he was having and even once joked, "I'm glad my supervisor isn't looking over my shoulder, I'm kind of screwing this up!"

Anyway, he finally got it activated. I checked several channels and everything looks fine.

Now here's the part that worries me a bit:

When I check my account profile on DirecTV's web site, the serial number for the old HR20, that I will be returning to the wholesaler, DSI, tomorrow is still showing on the web site.

This is simply the serial number on the bottom of the unit, not any sort of electronic number. The CSR must have gotten the receiver ID and access card ID right (eventually) or the unit wouldn't be working.

My new HR20 is working great (huge improvement over my flaky old unit :) ), but I wonder if some bookkeeping problem will arise when the defective unit with the serial number their computer shows me as still having installed shows up as a return.

Should I call DirecTV and let them know that the serial number showing under my profile on the web doesn't match the one on my box, or should I simply keep my big yap shut since everything is working fine? I'd hate to open my mouth when everythings fine, only to open a can of worms that would disrupt my service! In other words: If it ain't busted, don't fix it.

What do you folks think?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,553 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Yes, you should call DirecTV to make sure that the serial number on your account matches the actual serial number of your DVR. It may cause you problems later if they don't match.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

And they should be able to tell in the account history all the serial numbers that have been attached to your account. That should make it easier for them to straighten it out.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   Fish Man

Fish Man

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:23 PM

Got it fixed.

It took two calls, which was mostly my fault.

The first CSR really had a hard time figuring out how to change it. He finally got it, and I looked at it on the web. Looked good, thanked him, hung up. Then I looked at it again on the web page.

D'oh! One digit missing in the middle!!

So, I called back.

The next CSR knew exactly how to change it but read it back to me wrong three times before he got it right. But, he got it right.

spam firewall