Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI, Digital out, Dolby + Panasonic plasma

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PortlandSpartan

PortlandSpartan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

Ok, here is my situation. My setup consists of an HR20, Panasonic plasma, Samsung audio system, XBOX360, and soon to be an Oppo DVD player. My problem is going to be with audio inputs on the surround player. It has two optical inputs - one is currently used by the XBOX and one is used by the HR20. I will need to go optical out from the DVD player.

Can I utilize the HDMI capabilities of my TV to consolidate audio outputs? My thinking is that I can go HDMI out of the HR20 and HDMI out of the DVD player and then use the one digital optical out of my TV into the surround system. Would that work?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:47 PM

The answer is it depends. It depends on whether your tv will properly pass the DD output to your surround sound system. There are a lot of tvs that do not. Primarily, tvs with a digital output typically send the digital signal out if you are using the bulit in ATSC tuner to recieve OTA HD stations. You would be much better served either upgrading your surround sound system to one that actually has enough inputs, or buying an optical switcher...

#3 OFFLINE   PortlandSpartan

PortlandSpartan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

The answer is it depends. It depends on whether your tv will properly pass the DD output to your surround sound system. There are a lot of tvs that do not. Primarily, tvs with a digital output typically send the digital signal out if you are using the bulit in ATSC tuner to recieve OTA HD stations. You would be much better served either upgrading your surround sound system to one that actually has enough inputs, or buying an optical switcher...

Don't I wish. :)

Worst case is I don't go optical with the XBOX. Thanks for the info.

#4 OFFLINE   skakusha

skakusha

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:29 PM

Most Plasmas and TV's only pass DD 2.0 through the TV. I have a Panny 42 inch. I think it is THU60X. . . something like that. . . I bought it last year. I was very frustrated until I read the book and realize dit was the TV.

Of course, as most people on here, I did not read the book until I had an issue.

There are plenty of switch boxes you can get. Also, try using the coax digital inputs on your receivers for 5.1, to bypass the need for fiber optic. In case you don;t use these, they are on many boxes, except the HR20, and you can use a good rca cable to do this and still get 5.1.

Good Luck!

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:38 PM

There are optical to coax [digital] adapters for about $15-20. I googled it once and found a bunch.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:11 AM

Do your DVD player and receiver not have digital coax inputs? That's how I have my DVD player connected due to the same lack of optical inputs.

#7 OFFLINE   jimbojive

jimbojive

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:25 AM

the panny doesn't passthru 5.1
i don't understand what it is for.
Panasonic 50" TH-50PX600U
Visio 32" VW32
HR20-700 thru HDMI
HR20-100
Cable
JVC 1028rx
Media Center PC
Slimeline

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:30 AM

the panny doesn't passthru 5.1
i don't understand what it is for.

It is like my Sony, if I use the TV to watch OTA HD, then it outputs 5.1 to my AV receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:24 PM

My JVC only passes the Digital OTA optical, had to use the Digital Coax out on my DVD to the receiver, then my two Optical inputs are for my HR20 & TV. Found this out after buying the TV, I had planned on using the Optical out of my TV also for the HR20 & DVD, luckily I had enough inputs on my receiver.

#10 OFFLINE   PortlandSpartan

PortlandSpartan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for all the input folks. Sounds like coax is my only option here.

spam firewall