Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is Cable Unbeatable?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

While I love the cable industry, I have to disagree with L33. I fully support cable going 100% digital only, which means I support forcing cable customers to do what DBS customers have to do. Digital set top terminals for every TV set.

I do agree with the technology part but in a different light. With DBS you've got upgrading issues. New receivers for MPEG 4, new dish antennas to see additional orbital slots, new multiswiches for the new LNBs, etc. I no way I’m I saying this is bad, it’s the opposite, it’s progress. But personally, I’d rather have the cable company do the upgrading at their end and if need be I go to the office for new hardware. No cost, no commitment and relatively simple.

At least with cable there will be a cable card option, if you are lucky enough
to have bought a new TV with a cable card slot. With the July 1 FCC new cable card rule, TV manufacturers will be making new TVs with the slot. Or if you buy your own set top box with cable card slot. I have two Sony DVRs with cable card slot. Also, even with cable going all digital, most new TVs have QAM that will pick up unencrypted channels. Satellite does not have these options.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,727 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:37 AM

Until cablecard 2.0 starts coming in televisions, it isn't a complete answer to a STB. Then, if SDV gets a foothold, cablecard isn't going to help you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...