Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Slimline 5-LNB Install?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

I have a new Slimline that I'm looking to install in place of my older 3-LNB unit. Can I do this install myself without a meter? I looked through the instructions and it doesn't look that too terribly hard to do. Based on what I've read here, it looks like many folks have done it also.

Comments?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:39 PM

Sure you can do it without a meter. Just make sure you've got a partner to shout out the signal levels to you as you're aiming the dish.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

Watch the installation videos at this link. They are for the AT9 as opposed to the AU9 Slimline, but the overall procedure is essentially the same.

http://www.solidsign...tall_videos.asp

Pay particular attention to the fine tuning steps.

Carl

#4 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:17 PM

Watch the installation videos at this link. They are for the AT9 as opposed to the AU9 Slimline, but the overall procedure is essentially the same.

Pay particular attention to the fine tuning steps.

Carl

Thanks, Carl and Poitnarf.

Are the Look Angle Calculators on emantechnology.com any help?

I figure if I take my time I should be fine - that and if I shoot for aligning to the 110 satellite with the others on the edge, I should be ok. Does that make sense?

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:15 PM

Thanks, Carl and Poitnarf.

Are the Look Angle Calculators on emantechnology.com any help?

I figure if I take my time I should be fine - that and if I shoot for aligning to the 110 satellite with the others on the edge, I should be ok. Does that make sense?

That is for the old phase III dish which is center lined on the 110 SAT. The Slimline is center lined on the 101 SAT. Do you work on the 101. Check the 119 for your tilt adjustment, but all of your focus should be on the 101 so you get the 99 & 103 SATs centered. This is a must as they have a narrower beam than needs to be "nailed" where the Ku [101,110,119] are broader beams.
This is why you need to split the 101 power drops equally. [See video].
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:15 AM

Plumb the pole.........if it is not you will have a long afternoon!........Line of sight must be clear....dent the pole before setting it in concrete so it won't rotate.....tune the 101 as above.......at some point mark the pole and dish where you get a good signal..........tune az first.....know that as you tighten the az (rear) bolts you will affect the el slightly...Enjoy!

Joe

#7 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

If you've got a 13" or smaller TV, or a small LCD, bring them right outside along with the receiver if you can. Connect the dish to the receiver, the receiver to the Tv, and then just go into the signal strength setting on the receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   Ext 721

Ext 721

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:32 AM

Plumb the pole.........if it is not you will have a long afternoon!........Line of sight must be clear....dent the pole before setting it in concrete so it won't rotate.....tune the 101 as above.......at some point mark the pole and dish where you get a good signal..........tune az first.....know that as you tighten the az (rear) bolts you will affect the el slightly...Enjoy!

Joe

also know that if your pole's perfectly plumb when you begin, it won't be once dish is on. Weight on one side makes the diff.
....Not Purchased.

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

Ext721

I have had problems with that. The weight seems close to balanced but any wind at all can be an issue. Loose or wet soil can be an issue.

I plan to start pounding the pole into the bottom of the hole a foot or so and switching to quick dry concrete and using a little water near the top of the hole....and.......... doing other work after setting the pole before putting the dish on or tuning.

I have started leaving the pole level tool in the top of the pole to check with the dish on; have many of them already.

Every change produces a change....Non Pen roof mounts on lawns next?

Joe

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

Non Pen roof mounts on lawns next?
Joe

Two trip installs with time for the cement to set.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Helpful info. How do you make sure the mast is plumb? I've done installs of the 3lnb, but i never knew if I was doing it right. ha-ha. Sorry for stupid question. I want to get a 5lnb soon.

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

Helpful info. How do you make sure the mast is plumb? I've done installs of the 3lnb, but i never knew if I was doing it right. ha-ha. Sorry for stupid question. I want to get a 5lnb soon.

There is a bubble level in the top of the mast.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

Oh, I remember that on the 3 LNB dish now! ha-ha. Thanks.

I sure want the 5 LNB, but that video makes it sound like rocket science.

So you guys basically:

Get 101 as perfect as possible on the signal strength, and then fine tune the ka sats?

Thanks.

#14 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:43 PM

Oh, I remember that on the 3 LNB dish now! ha-ha. Thanks.

I sure want the 5 LNB, but that video makes it sound like rocket science.

So you guys basically:

Get 101 as perfect as possible on the signal strength, and then fine tune the ka sats?

Thanks.

The bottom line is: look at the 101 & use the fine tuning adjustment to tune "off center" to some level [say X], then count the turns of the fine tuning as you go back up in level and then down the other side to "X" again. Now divide the number of turns to get there by 2. Then turn it back [by the number/2] to where it in now "centered". You need to count the turns instead of watching the power level, because the top of the power level is kind of flat & you need to be in the middle of the "flat", to be peaked on the narrower 99/103 beam.
Do this for both "up & down" and "side to side".
Much like the "old way", but with the "new fine adjustments".
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:25 AM

The bottom line is: look at the 101 & use the fine tuning adjustment to tune "off center" to some level [say X], then count the turns of the fine tuning as you go back up in level and then down the other side to "X" again. Now divide the number of turns to get there by 2. Then turn it back [by the number/2] to where it in now "centered". You need to count the turns instead of watching the power level, because the top of the power level is kind of flat & you need to be in the middle of the "flat", to be peaked on the narrower 99/103 beam.
Do this for both "up & down" and "side to side".
Much like the "old way", but with the "new fine adjustments".

It has fine tuning knobs on elevation and azimuth?

Your instructions were *very* clear. I finally *maybe* understand it. If you're west coast, do you have to change the skew, or no?

Thank you very much. The instructions were great.

Edit - I watched the video again and it makes more sense now. Thanks again, you really helped.

#16 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:43 AM

Uh oh, watched the earlier video. What's this v-band converter module at the receiver?

That is required for ka?

#17 OFFLINE   WolfsPride

WolfsPride

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:35 AM

PLEASE do yourself a Favor and DO NOT use the bubble level. If there's the slightest tilt in the mast the bubble may still show in the middle. Use a Torpedo. ( Small level)

#18 OFFLINE   CobraGuy

CobraGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:09 AM

PLEASE do yourself a Favor and DO NOT use the bubble level. If there's the slightest tilt in the mast the bubble may still show in the middle. Use a Torpedo. ( Small level)

Right. Use of the bubble level is assuming it fits perfectly and is calibrated perfectly. My bubble level was giving me inconsistent readings. I switched to a torpedo level (checking at multiple points around the pole) and got it perfect. I mounted two monopoles and made sure the level was still perfect. Mounting the dish did not move the pole one bit whatsoever. With the monopoles, it stayed perfectly straight.

#19 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:57 AM

Uh oh, watched the earlier video. What's this v-band converter module at the receiver?

That is required for ka?

Ka hi band doesn't need any converters. The "B-band" converters [BBC] are [or will be] needed for [Ka-lo] the new SAT(s) coming soon.

And as others with more experience have posted: use a good level to "plumb" your mast.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:34 AM

Well, the install went off ok without too many hitches. Using the instructions from the video and website, I did the setup and had to work only with the Azimuth settings as the location was about 10 degrees BELOW the setting suggested by both the website and on-screen settings. The percentages on 101 were honed in and I believe we're strong across all the others based on what I've seen.

I do have a question though - which are the LIVE satellites today from DirecTV and why are there others listed in the setups that you can't see? Can someone point me to a list of everything they have and what is active and what is not?

Thanks!

spam firewall