Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

721 and a CSR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:56 AM

I went to watch a recording tonight and had a black screen with searching for authorized content message. Next I tuned to the channel to see the 721 message. WTF?
Called the D* number on my bill. At the prompt said 721, and the system said it would resend my authorization. No help so then pressed zero.
It was just before 2 AM in Alabama, when the CSR came on the line and said she would resend it herself. Again no luck. This was for Showtime that I've had for years.
Then I asked her to check their computer so see if it took a dump. While she was checking, I remembered that an earlier CSR had given me a Showtime for several months for free [due to problems before]. That was it, the computer had canceled the package. The CSR was quick to add it back and that got the channel back, but not the recording, bummer. By this time I'd asked her how many mean & nasty customers she'd had. She said she'd lost count & we figured that was before her first coffee break. :lol:
Now to make up for the lost recording [which will re-air in a few days which I told her], she gave me $5 off for the next three months. I told her she didn't have to [and hadn't asked for it] but she wanted to do something for what had happened.
10 min after she was to go home, & she was still laughing at 2 AM.
I won't say she was a rocket scientist, but I didn't need one & found a friendly voice, that fixed the my problem.
As bad as a call do D* can be, getting them to laugh has always worked the best for me.:D
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ext 721

Ext 721

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:08 AM

As bad as a call do D* can be, getting them to laugh has always worked the best for me.:D

Sugar, not vinegar, eh?

Always the best way to get soemthing out of anyone. Be a friend!
....Not Purchased.

#3 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:47 AM

I thought you were supposed to hop straight to retention, threaten to leave, etc, and demand free service for a year, and new receiver, and limo service. Isn't that what everyone else does?

Nice to see someone get rewarded for playing by the rules and being a nice guy.

#4 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:59 AM

Good for you, VOS. I have always respected your counsel, and now I respect you even more! :)

Cheers,
John

#5 OFFLINE   gnwes

gnwes

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:02 AM

Im always nice and never get anything..... so lucky you. :rolleyes:

#6 OFFLINE   Badger

Badger

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:11 AM

I also had a pretty good experience when calling D* 11 days ago to upgrade to a HR20, 2 new lines, and 5 lnb dish. The first CSR wasn't real friendly and I declined the offer. After about an hour of thought I decided that the offer wasn't too bad and decided to accept it. I called back and the person who answered the phone wasn't sure how to write up the order and asked if I would hold while she found someone who could and I said that was fine. After about 5 minutes on hold another person came on the line and said I should hang up as there was no reason I should have to be on hold and they would call me back. In about 4 minutes I was called back by "Virgil" and he was great. He quickly ran through setting everything up and said I could have installation the next morning which was fine with me. He explained the commitment clearly. The installer was here on time the next day and the install was done in about an hour with another 45-60 minutes while he ran the wife and I through the operation of the HR20. He did such a nice job with that that I gave him a $20 tip. When he left he gave me his cell phone number and encouraged us to call him if we had any questions while we were learning to operate the HR20. So I made 2 calls to D* which were answered immediatly upon completion of the auto answering deal, spent no more than a half hour total on the phone (mostly with "Virgil" setting everything up), and had an install by a very competent tech less than 24 hours after my order was placed. We're happy with D*.

#7 OFFLINE   talkdj

talkdj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:33 AM

My experience with Direct has been fantastic (which is not the way it was when we were previous subscribers 6 years ago). They give me credits when I don't even ask for them and the support is very good. Though I did have a problem with getting the MLB in HD and found out that I was missing the Superfan part of the package (ching ching another $39). But now we can see most of the Mariner games in HD so my wife is very happy. That's what it's all about isn't it? God speed Directv! Now could someone please fix the HD signal of WEWS (Ch. 5) here in Cleveland.

#8 OFFLINE   CobraGuy

CobraGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:34 AM

I also had a pretty good experience when calling D* 11 days ago to upgrade to a HR20, 2 new lines, and 5 lnb dish. The first CSR wasn't real friendly and I declined the offer. After about an hour of thought I decided that the offer wasn't too bad and decided to accept it. I called back and the person who answered the phone wasn't sure how to write up the order and asked if I would hold while she found someone who could and I said that was fine. After about 5 minutes on hold another person came on the line and said I should hang up as there was no reason I should have to be on hold and they would call me back. In about 4 minutes I was called back by "Virgil" and he was great. He quickly ran through setting everything up and said I could have installation the next morning which was fine with me. He explained the commitment clearly. The installer was here on time the next day and the install was done in about an hour with another 45-60 minutes while he ran the wife and I through the operation of the HR20. He did such a nice job with that that I gave him a $20 tip. When he left he gave me his cell phone number and encouraged us to call him if we had any questions while we were learning to operate the HR20. So I made 2 calls to D* which were answered immediatly upon completion of the auto answering deal, spent no more than a half hour total on the phone (mostly with "Virgil" setting everything up), and had an install by a very competent tech less than 24 hours after my order was placed. We're happy with D*.

Wow. That is fantastic. Unfortunately, there are just too many stories of an opposite nature...

#9 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:39 AM

It has been great almost every time I have talk to a CSR. At worst it has been good at couple of times. If you talk to them nice and like if they are you friend that goes a long way.

#10 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

My experiences are great. I have had contact with DirecTV only 3 times in 7 years. Can't beat not calling them at all. 1st time was initial install. Second time was upgrade to 5lnb and H20. 3rd time was for a piss-poor 5lnb mount. Not a bad track record.

#11 OFFLINE   SledDog

SledDog

Icon

• Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:38 AM

As with all else, you usually only hear about the bad experiences. It's nice to hear about the good stuff. The folks at D* have been great from start to finish on my new install. I switched from E*.

#12 OFFLINE   rkjg24

rkjg24

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

As with all else, you usually only hear about the bad experiences. It's nice to hear about the good stuff. The folks at D* have been great from start to finish on my new install. I switched from E*.

Exactly. People like to tell the bad things, rather than good.

#13 OFFLINE   Ext 721

Ext 721

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:14 AM

Wow. That is fantastic. Unfortunately, there are just too many stories of an opposite nature...

On the average, most people receive average service, and write nothing.

And when excellent and poor service happen, the poor service stories are 10 times as likely to be shared as the good stories.

Human nature.
....Not Purchased.

spam firewall