Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would it be obvious if the wind moved my dish?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpcv8

dpcv8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:59 AM

I've been out of town for a few days, and I get back home and when I turn on the TV I get the old searching for satellite signal message on the tv. I have an HR-20.

it's overcast out, but nothing abnormal.

I run a test of the sat and most of the signals on the 101 are in the low 30's mid 50's with an zero or two and the odd 80.

the 110 and 119 are all low 90's.

Apparently it was very windy the past few days. I have access to the dish so I took a look at it and gave it a shake. Nothing moved when i tugged on it. If I couldn't move it I couldn't imagine the wind moving it, but who knows. If the wind did move the dish would it be noticeably loose?

I can't think of any other reason why I'd lose signal off the 101 but still have clear strong 110 and 119.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:40 AM

1/32" is too much movement. Can you just look at the dish and see that small amount? Call for service.

#3 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

I had some large wind movement a few months ago. I experimented with very slight adjustments and got it all back to mid 90's (on most transponders). I used my neighbor's dish angle as a reference for azimuth.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...