Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving questions...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   miksmi21

miksmi21

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

Hey all,

I'm in the process of moving....currently I have a simple install of an 18" dish, a 4 port multiswitch and 2 receivers (R15 DVR and a standard receiver).

In my move, believe it or not, my wife gave me license to get a HDTV in the process...so I want to get HD of course. So here's my questions.

1. How early should I contact the moving number for DirecTV? We close in late June.

2. Does DirecTV through their moving services offer the ability to upgrade at that time. The hope is that I can get the Slimline dish and an HR20 added to what I already have. Different multiswitch as well.

3. Currently I have the Ultimate package...is adding HDTV a matter of just asking them to add it? The DirecTV webpage seems misleading as if I would lose channels by adding HTDV...as the Ultimate package doesn't seem to include HDTV.

I want to try and make the move almost seamless. I may or may not have the HDTV at the time of the move...but will be within a month of moving for sure.

Thanks All!!
I'm faster than most snakes! -Dwight Schrute - The Office

DTV HR20-100, HR20-700, HR22-100, iPhone-XM Skydock

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:33 AM

For both item 1 and 2, you really need to call and talk with a CSR. I would say the earlier the better on item 1, and just don't know for item 2.

For item 3, what is the Ultimate package? It is not one of the current offerings. The Premier package (the one that includes all of the premium movie channels) does not include HD, and adding HD will add $9.95 a month to your bill. Adding one additional receiver or DVR (for your HD set) will add $4.99 per month. So you are looking at $14.98 additional monthly cost by adding an HD unit and upgrading to HD. If you replace one of your existing units rather than adding to them, your additional cost would be $9.99 for HD but you would avoid the additional receiver fee.

I would highly recommend the HR20 hi-def DVR for your HD installation.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:36 AM

I would call them soon and tell them that you are moving and what day you would like to have your install done. If you call now you could probably pick the day you want.

I would tell them that you also want to upgrade to HD. The should have no problems installing the 5 LNB dish at your new house with the correct mult-switch (Zinwell WB68) and your HD DVR.

#4 OFFLINE   miksmi21

miksmi21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:41 AM

Thanks Guys!! This will help. I'll call them later today.

Yeah Carl...I meant the Premier package...my wife was yelling at me from another room at the time of posting...so my head was in my fanny. :grin:

#5 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:50 AM

Hey all,

I'm in the process of moving....currently I have a simple install of an 18" dish, a 4 port multiswitch and 2 receivers (R15 DVR and a standard receiver).

In my move, believe it or not, my wife gave me license to get a HDTV in the process...so I want to get HD of course. So here's my questions.

1. How early should I contact the moving number for DirecTV? We close in late June.

2. Does DirecTV through their moving services offer the ability to upgrade at that time. The hope is that I can get the Slimline dish and an HR20 added to what I already have. Different multiswitch as well.

3. Currently I have the Ultimate package...is adding HDTV a matter of just asking them to add it? The DirecTV webpage seems misleading as if I would lose channels by adding HTDV...as the Ultimate package doesn't seem to include HDTV.

I want to try and make the move almost seamless. I may or may not have the HDTV at the time of the move...but will be within a month of moving for sure.

Thanks All!!

I used the Movers Connection and was installed yesterday. I got the 5LNB dish, full install (3 DVRs) and an HR20-700. All of that for $19.95 plus tax. You do have a new 2-year commitment with the HR20, otherwise it's a 1-year.

#6 OFFLINE   surfbird

surfbird

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

1. Call just for info if nothing else.. you can always set up a date & reschedule it. But great offer for movers connection for may & june.. additional ird either standard or advanced receiver is free (just dh) unless HD_DVR then it is $100 less making it be $199.00 & depending on your acct status - programing credit from either 6mo - 12mo = $10 off. + hbo & showtime for $3 extra a month.. SWEET deal..

2. Does DirecTV through their moving services offer the ability to upgrade at that time. YES, something most of you forget.. whatever it takes to make your existing receivers & additional receivers is included in an installation UNLESS it is considered custom work.. "meaning.. you request or hiding line, burying them, or putting on a pole just because u want it instead of usual install"

3. Currently I have the Ultimate package...is adding HDTV a matter of just asking them to add it? The DirecTV webpage seems misleading as if I would lose channels by adding HTDV...as the Ultimate package doesn't seem to include HDTV. just add the hd package for the $9.99 to Prmr pkge.

I hope that helped. Robin

#7 OFFLINE   miksmi21

miksmi21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:27 AM

1. Call just for info if nothing else.. you can always set up a date & reschedule it. But great offer for movers connection for may & june.. additional ird either standard or advanced receiver is free (just dh) unless HD_DVR then it is $100 less making it be $199.00 & depending on your acct status - programing credit from either 6mo - 12mo = $10 off. + hbo & showtime for $3 extra a month.. SWEET deal..

2. Does DirecTV through their moving services offer the ability to upgrade at that time. YES, something most of you forget.. whatever it takes to make your existing receivers & additional receivers is included in an installation UNLESS it is considered custom work.. "meaning.. you request or hiding line, burying them, or putting on a pole just because u want it instead of usual install"

3. Currently I have the Ultimate package...is adding HDTV a matter of just asking them to add it? The DirecTV webpage seems misleading as if I would lose channels by adding HTDV...as the Ultimate package doesn't seem to include HDTV. just add the hd package for the $9.99 to Prmr pkge.

I hope that helped. Robin

Wow...this is great. Once again...thanks all. Sounds like this is going to be easier than I planned. *Keeping fingers crossed of course*

Protected By... spam firewall...And...