Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is my father-in-law Grandfathered?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HelpingHand

HelpingHand

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

Hello,

Sorry for the sappy title but I really need some help -- I am in way over my head. My dying father-in-law has decided to dedicate whatever time he has left to watching tv. To make a long story short, he needs to replace his c-band/ku dish with something else because it is all rusted out. I did not know ANYTHING about the big dish so I decided to make things easy and ordered Dir*. Once installed he wanted to know if he could get east coast networks like he had (a long time ago) with his big dish. He lives in San Francisco CA. He wants access to the east coast major networks because he liked to watch prime time earlier. Apparently since he has a 4dtv 920 receiver that does not process digital he lost access to the east coast major networks. He has NOT canceled the big dish.
Dir* says there is no way he can get east coast networks because he has access to local channels in San Francisco. So I called his Big dish provider NPS and asked them if there was some way he could get the east coast channels again. They said since he had them before (and did not cancel) he can have them again (he was grandfathered). Can someone confirm this before I waste (a lot)more of his money?
So my question is, if we replace his 920 unit with a 922 and replace the dish with a new (non-rusted) dish will he be able to get east coast programming again? I would hate to make another mistake and waste even more of his money just to find out that there is no way he can get the east coast prime time.

Thanks for any help, quotes or leads you can give me!

Craig

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:01 PM

NPS is associated with DishNetwork (E*) only.

According to the law, any change in service providers should automatically terminate any grandfathered status, so it's gonna be hard to say....he might still be "part of NPS", even if he went to E*. The key here is, "might".

The SFO stations might grant a new waiver, but they don't have to. Network O&O stations are pretty lenient on waivers, so you might want to check with them directly.

If he still is subscribing to the big dish, with the DNS (Distant Network Service), I think they would still consider him "grandfathered", even if he had to upgrade the BUD equipment.

#3 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:04 AM

Hello,

So my question is, if we replace his 920 unit with a 922 and replace the dish with a new (non-rusted) dish will he be able to get east coast programming again?
Thanks for any help, quotes or leads you can give me!

Craig

Yes. Sometimes old C band dishes can be had for free simply by asking the owners if they want them removed.

The SHVERA rules do not allow anyone to change providers and maintain their grandfather status.

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

The members here may also be able to help.
http://www.dbstalk.c...isplay.php?f=67
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall