Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA and Diplexing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

If you diplex your OTA with your DTV, picking the right diplexer can and will make a huge difference. I was using the Phillips diplexers and and was missing a number of channels. Based upon reading in the Cutting Edge Forum, I replaced them with the Channel Master 4002IFD to combine and the Channel Master 4001IFD to split.

Holy Cow!!! What a difference. I got channels I was not getting before and the ones i had been getting are seeing dramatic increases in the signal meters. I was getting pixelation on one VHF channel here in Cincinnati and now. No pixelation at all.

BTW, these are not expensive diplexers At www.solidsignal.com the 4001 is ~$7 and the 4002 is ~#12

Best 19 bucks i've spent in a long time.
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:53 PM

Thank you for your post.

As I was preparing this roundup I was just blown away by the differences. It started when I needed to use a diplexer with the new Single Wire Multiswitch I am testing.

The best diplexers as you note are literally 12 times better than other diplexers that cost a fortune.

The amazing part if that these are not $50 each like you might expect. They are just $7 and $11.

Why would anyone buy anything else?

Still the best answer if you can do it is no diplexer at all. But if you want to use the new SWM technology this fall, a lot of people will be using diplexers again.

- Craig

#3 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 855 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:29 AM

Thank you for your post.

As I was preparing this roundup I was just blown away by the differences. It started when I needed to use a diplexer with the new Single Wire Multiswitch I am testing.

The best diplexers as you note are literally 12 times better than other diplexers that cost a fortune.

The amazing part if that these are not $50 each like you might expect. They are just $7 and $11.

Why would anyone buy anything else?

Still the best answer if you can do it is no diplexer at all. But if you want to use the new SWM technology this fall, a lot of people will be using diplexers again.

- Craig

If you have the SWM why would yu need to diplex if you use one receiver?

One STA line will run 2 SAT tuners and one wire for OTA right?

#4 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:12 AM

BTW, i was doing some testing and I can diplex OTA after the BBC converters just fine. My BBC boxes are plugged in just after my multi-switch and then OTA diplexer.

Works like a charm with no noticeable drop in PQ or signal strength.
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

BTW, i was doing some testing and I can diplex OTA after the BBC converters just fine. My BBC boxes are plugged in just after my multi-switch and then OTA diplexer.

Works like a charm with no noticeable drop in PQ or signal strength.

Yes you can do it now because the bbcs don't do anything right now, they have nothing to convert. The problem will come when DirecTV10 fires up and starts transmitting signals that will be in the b-band. Then your b-band converters will need to convert the signal back into a frequency band the receiver can understand. According to the DirecTV techs the b-band converters will need to be close to the receiver for them to work...no real idea what "close" means, but we may be talking about just a few feet. In which case the whole idea of diplexing after the bbc is going to be impractical. In a couple of months we will see!

#6 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:42 AM

Well, for me my BBC boxes are less than 20 feet away from my HR20. If 20 Feet of RG6 makes that much difference then the BBCs are fundamentally flawed.
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998

#7 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

If you diplex your OTA with your DTV, picking the right diplexer can and will make a huge difference. I was using the Phillips diplexers and and was missing a number of channels. Based upon reading in the Cutting Edge Forum, I replaced them with the Channel Master 4002IFD to combine and the Channel Master 4001IFD to split.

Holy Cow!!! What a difference. I got channels I was not getting before and the ones i had been getting are seeing dramatic increases in the signal meters. I was getting pixelation on one VHF channel here in Cincinnati and now. No pixelation at all.

BTW, these are not expensive diplexers At www.solidsignal.com the 4001 is ~$7 and the 4002 is ~#12

Best 19 bucks i've spent in a long time.

With shipping they are about $28 a pair. I awill try one pair to see if it helps
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...