Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone REALLY know why no DLB?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

What features can directv implement and increase revenue? DLB or VOD?

It depends.

VOD won't make them a dime from me. I'm not interested in it and won't use it...especially on a pay per view type program...even if it is available. That's why I have a DVR. I record the stuff and watch the recordings. That's MY version of VOD.

DLB would probably convince me to get at least one more HR20 for the living room. As it is right now, we get by with one HD-DVR in the family room. It is an HR20 because that was our only option with D*. Given choices I would have opted for a box that had DLB because I have become very accustomed to using it. Instead since I literally "settled" for the HR20 the only room where we have HD is the Family Room and we have 7 rooms with active D* boxes on the account.

You're trying to reduce it to an easy, obvious answer when there are no easy, obvious answers to be had. Individual viewing habits, preferences and manners of equipment usage vary pretty dramatically.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   tiger2005

tiger2005

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

Ummmm....How about both! Why does it have to be an either or situation? Easy Answer: It doesn't. They should do BOTH.
Thanks for DLB!! Best feature available on a DVR, bar none!

#103 OFFLINE   Que

Que

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:04 AM

Wednesday night, my wife was watching "Law & Order XYZ" on UHD or TNTHD or somesuch, and American Idol started recording on the other tuner.
Having owned a DVR for several years now, she just waited until there were 30 or 40 minutes recorded before she went to the list and started watching.

FOX ran over on Idol and failed to record the actual announcement of the winner. After she exploded in a fire ball from the fabricated suspense, we exited the list and exited back to Live TV. The HR20 was tuned to the L&O channel, because that's what we were watching before watchin Idol from the List. We switched over to FOX and found that there was no buffer prior to that moment!

That is why DLB is a NEED and not a WANT.
------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'll agree that MOST users don't know about DLB, it is something MANY people LOVE when they learn about it.
My Dad has been a master of watching 2 programs at once since the cable man delivered a box with a remote. (I was the remote until that day)
When my parents visited a couple years back he was switching back & forth between Discovery & History channels, I showed him how to switch tuners & watch both shows without missing anything.
He called DirecTV before they left and ordered 2 DirecTivos.

My Mom can't pull the remote from his hand now :)

They need to get SLB working right 1st, then DLB!

#104 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:22 AM

I am still amazed today, how many LONG term (multiple year), users of TiVo based systems (both DTivos and the SA-DTs), don't know they have two live buffers and managed to survive.

Bad argument. Once they know it is there, most get really happy.

You are going against the tide here. The VAST MAJORITY of the dbstalk members want DLB. They are not that odd a group, just informed.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#105 OFFLINE   Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

OK, gonna jump in here! As a newbie to the depth of this thread (no sarcasm intended) and the acronyms being used like "DLB" I decided to take a Google on this and I think that I have found the answer to "What does DLB mean?"

http://www.alzheimer...a/info_lewy.htm

And I do have a question. Did the older Series 2 DirecTV have DLB or SLB? I got used to the SD DirecTV box.

And what is VOD?

#106 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:28 PM

OK, gonna jump in here! As a newbie to the depth of this thread (no sarcasm intended) and the acronyms being used like "DLB" I decided to take a Google on this and I think that I have found the answer to "What does DLB mean?"

And I do have a question. Did the older Series 2 DirecTV have DLB or SLB? I got used to the SD DirecTV box.

And what is VOD?

VOD is video on demand.

#107 OFFLINE   Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

Thank you for the VOD definition.

Does the DirecTV series 2 box have DLB or SLB?

#108 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:44 PM

And what is VOD?

Welcome, Bill. You should also take a look at this site's list of acronyms ... see the link in my signature below.

#109 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

VOD: Won't get any revenue from me.

NO DLB: Won't get any more revenue from me. :D

Seriously, the point of this thread is "what is the reason?" Earl, please ask again, I really miss this feature. Why can't you tell us the reason, assuming you know?

To the anti-DLB crowd: There are many features I don't care about, VIIV, CID, VOD. Yet, I don't go around posting how I don't care about this feature or that. To each his own. Some of you need to move on to a new thread. :rolleyes: I do care about DLB and I'd like DTV to know, as do others.

I agree with you HarleyD, it baffles me as well.

But again, the question is why?

Directv also needs to consider word of mouth marketing. I used to tell anyone that would listen how much better DTV was, especially with the Directivo. I don't do that right now, haven't since they announced they were dumping Tivo and their customer service slipped. I think the power users, those that know about these features, are more likely to recruit new subs for directv than your average Joe. So there is a real benefit to Directv to provide these high end features even though many may not use them.

In general, Directv is on the right path with the HR20. I like it better than the HR10 in many ways. But I really really do miss DLBs!

I would love to love Directv again. ;)

Oh and one last thing, I'd like my HR20 to butter my toast.

#110 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:04 AM

Actually the conversation went more like this:

Even last night... American Idol... we started to watch it live... but just couldn't take it (the blah-blah blah and the commercials), so we watched something else that was pre-recorded... and came back to watch IDOL when it was finished recording.

Choice of program material aside (:) ), I can't believe how often I do exactly what you describe above...deliberately DO NOT watch something live and instead watch something else I have previously recorded until the "live program" I was interested in gets recorded.

I find watching just about anything other than sports or breaking news "LIVE" , to be excruciating since discovering the HR20.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#111 OFFLINE   gopherhockey

gopherhockey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:47 PM

Bad argument. Once they know it is there, most get really happy.

You are going against the tide here. The VAST MAJORITY of the dbstalk members want DLB. They are not that odd a group, just informed.

I'm with everyone on DLB. I had it, lost it, and its one of the features I miss the most. I knew it was there on my DirecTivo but REALLY know it isn't there on my HR20... its when I realized how often I use it.

Too bad the guys that are making the decisions don't miss it more - sounds like they are out of touch on what people want... or as long as they don't miss it, we won't see it anytime soon. Booo....

I didn't read this entire long thread of posts, but technical-wise is it that hard to add? It must be.
DirecTV since 1994

#112 OFFLINE   jsquash

jsquash

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:12 PM

I want it and miss it and will really miss it come football season. It was one of my favorite features on my tivo and was really disappointed when I noticed it wasnt on my hr20. D*, please give us what we want.

#113 OFFLINE   difficultrun

difficultrun

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

I agree 100% with gopherhockey, nowandthen, and jsquash on DLB -- I had it, loved it and still miss it! I'll never think it's a completed product until they enable DLB ... just my 2 cents.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...