Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Tact: HD Programmers Stop Movement!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

Since it has become very obvious that DirecTV is using compression that just can't seem to deliver a quality picture when the cameraperson has the audacity to move his/her camera, I suggest...

All camera movement during sporting events be banned.

I know this is drastic...but D is obviously incapable of HD without this rule.

Actually, let's make it real easy on them. All movement of any sort should be stopped.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

You see the same thing in OTA-HD MPEG-2... (watch a NBC Sporting event via OTA)
You see the same thing in MPEG-2 DVD's at time... (it has gotten a lot better over the years, but some of the first DVD's where just terrible)

Fast movement and compression schemes... simply don't play nicely together.

Most compression schemes are done via keeping track of the changes (instead of the full picture image), so when you have a LOT of changes frame to frame...
The compression suffers (either you have to relax it, or you lose something)...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

Earl,
There's a difference. I don't pay for OTA-HD :)
I'm watching the Yankees/Red Sox game and any time a runner jogs to the dugout or lord forbid a runner scores...the picture becomes horrid.

So...they just need to stop movement....or do it off camera.

Obviously D believes the product they're showing to be acceptable.

#4 OFFLINE   gregchak

gregchak

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

I'm in agreement on this one. I don't notice it very much but the broadcast of the Sox/Yankees game this evening is not very good. Even the still shots don't look as good as they should or have in the past.

#5 OFFLINE   richiephx

richiephx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

If they would allocate sufficient bandwidth, the macroblocking would be minimized.

#6 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

Earl,
I'm watching the Yankees/Red Sox game and any time a runner jogs to the dugout or lord forbid a runner scores...the picture becomes horrid.

What channel are you watching on? Here in NY it's only on channel 9 tonight, which is only available as an SD channel from DirecTV.

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:39 PM

Earl,

Hmm... When I was watching the Bulls last week in HD... guess those fast passes, and court shots... that I could see without a blur...

I guess I need to get my eyes checked.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:53 PM

Earl,

? So you think DIRECTV should take a lousy, lossy original signal and compress it better? :) This would be cool magic.

I've seen some horrible stuff come across the OTA feeds until the locals realized they can't steal bits for subchannels.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#9 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:26 AM

? So you think DIRECTV should take a lousy, lossy original signal and compress it better? :) This would be cool magic.

I've seen some horrible stuff come across the OTA feeds until the locals realized they can't steal bits for subchannels.

Cheers,
Tom

So the bad PQ is NESN's fault? Ahh...I knew it couldn't be DirecTV's issue. That would be insane.

#10 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:27 AM

What channel are you watching on? Here in NY it's only on channel 9 tonight, which is only available as an SD channel from DirecTV.

731 I think

#11 OFFLINE   STEVED21

STEVED21

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:33 AM

I watched two hockey games on NBC-E last weekend. There is no sport with more constant movement on TV and there was nothing wrong with the picture. Except, of course the two second loss of picture typical with NBC HD. But the motion had nothing to do with that.

#12 OFFLINE   noneroy

noneroy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

I propose no sports be shown on NBC for any reason.

That would eliminate my complains about macroblocking. Everything looks fine on ESPN/ABC/CBS....but NBC can't seem to get it right to save their lives....

#13 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:14 AM

NBC was something another poster brought up. My posts were concerning the Yankees/Red Sox game on channel 131 which was broadcast by NESN and part of the Extra Innings package with the HD extra service.

#14 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

NESN here in Boston looked very good for the most part not as bad as you are describing

#15 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

Steve,

Wasn't just me...and if you weren't watching the game closely you would miss the parts where it got horrid. The basic CF in camera during pitches were fine. It's when they switched to a camera following a guy around third...or someone jogging to the dugout.

I'm not a PQ snob by any means. When I complain about HD it's generally because the picture looks like something I watched pre cable with my mother running the vacuum cleaner.

#16 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:09 AM

patience - once it goes to MPEG-4 on the new bird, it'll be much better. We're in a transition period now, just like earlier when the locals were on CONUS. It's gonna get better.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#17 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

Wilbur...umm that won't be until the baseball season is just about over (at the earliest). I'd have more patience if we weren't tagged for extra money for this quality HD on the baseball package.

#18 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:16 AM

I watched two hockey games on NBC-E last weekend. There is no sport with more constant movement on TV and there was nothing wrong with the picture. Except, of course the two second loss of picture typical with NBC HD. But the motion had nothing to do with that.

I was about to add that the Vs HD on 94/95 are great (NHL), but the NBC feed is awful. Pixelation all the time, it looks like a mosaic, but then, I'm just happy that KRNV has finally aired a HD game in HD! In the past, most of the NHL games on NBC have been in SD on KRNV HD channel.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#19 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:57 AM

Hockey HD on NBC OTA was much, much better than hockey HD on VS HD channel 94/95 on Directv. So there is definitely more compression with D*.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#20 OFFLINE   PlanetBill

PlanetBill

Icon

• Registered
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:13 AM

Where the problem is most noticable for me is on a zoomed in camera shot on a player moving, all the background image is really bad (TNT HD Basketball) but the player is focused. somewhere down the line the bit rate is being reduced. I think the national HD's are the worst for this.
HR20-700 (DECA), HR24, HR22 (DECA),
HR21(DECA),H23(DECA),R15

Protected By... spam firewall...And...