Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Tact: HD Programmers Stop Movement!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jon D

Jon D

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:19 AM

Hmm... When I was watching the Bulls last week in HD... guess those fast passes, and court shots... that I could see without a blur...

I guess I need to get my eyes checked.

Your eyes are fine. I was actually kind of surprised how well the playoffs looked on TNTHD. The ones ESPN did were almost as good. I've noticed that CBS doesn't look as good. And FOX is usually excellent. Clearly, to say that it is all DirecTV's fault is plain ignorance. He just doesn't understand how this stuff works. In some cases I think DirecTV could do a better job, but to put HD picture issues wholey on them is not fair. And making rediculous sarcastic comments about banning all camera motion is just childish silliness. I think there are better ways to make points.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:55 PM

Your eyes are fine. I was actually kind of surprised how well the playoffs looked on TNTHD. The ones ESPN did were almost as good. I've noticed that CBS doesn't look as good. And FOX is usually excellent. Clearly, to say that it is all DirecTV's fault is plain ignorance. He just doesn't understand how this stuff works. In some cases I think DirecTV could do a better job, but to put HD picture issues wholey on them is not fair. And making rediculous sarcastic comments about banning all camera motion is just childish silliness. I think there are better ways to make points.

Jon,

I'm glad you're okay with making personal attacks. That's certainly a more acceptable method of making a point.

As for my knowledge of compression. You're wrong.

Actually, that seems to be a standard around here. If you say something some D supporter will exaggerate your comment (I never said the problem was purely D in this case) and then claim that you don't know about the technical aspects and can't possibly know what you're talking about.

At no time did you address the show I was talking about. I'm glad that the NBA playoffs were fine. It's a shame that NBC's picture wasn't that great. But...in this case it was the Yankees/Red Sox game broadcast on channel 131 from NESN that was horrible? Did you see the game? My guess is no...so you chose to attack me.

#23 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

Hockey HD on NBC OTA was much, much better than hockey HD on VS HD channel 94/95 on Directv. So there is definitely more compression with D*.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to OTA, so I can only go by the D* version. In our area, NBC is completely awful. CBS is the best, followed closely by FOX. ABC is behind only because they are not in 5.1. NBC is the worst due to blurriness, pixelation, no 5.1, and often they forget to switch on the HD feed, so we get a SD feed on the HD channel.

By the way, I don't blame D* for any of this. I have confirmed that the sound issues are both with the stations. The picture issue has been consistently bad with KRNV (NBC).

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#24 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

Isles,

While it's almost impossible for D to make a transmission better quality that what they receive ... especially if it's live.

It's very easy for their increased compression to make it worse. This is happening on some channels and with some content.

There are certain instances where certain types and degrees of those types of compression are going to do very poorly. In those cases D should consider making changes to bring the quality up by either using a different compression method.

Last night's game was an example of a very poor HD broadcast. I've also seen huge problems with some movies on HBOH and TNTHD. I'm not talking about the occasional macro pixel...I'm talking total pixelation or large amounts of blur.

I tossed my initial post up there a bit tongue in cheek (obviously).

#25 OFFLINE   STEVED21

STEVED21

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

Steve,

Wasn't just me...and if you weren't watching the game closely you would miss the parts where it got horrid. The basic CF in camera during pitches were fine. It's when they switched to a camera following a guy around third...or someone jogging to the dugout.

I'm not a PQ snob by any means. When I complain about HD it's generally because the picture looks like something I watched pre cable with my mother running the vacuum cleaner.

My point was that the PQ of the hockey with a lot of motion had none of the effects that you described as being a problem with the Yankee game last night. We did not get that feed here in NY so I can't make a true comparison. NBC has other problems we deal with as far as pixelation.

#26 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

The PQ on the game tonight is again lacking. Any fast motion (runner moving with the camera tracking him) and the picture begins to break up.

#27 OFFLINE   stogie5150

stogie5150

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

Bit starving. Full bandwidth HD from Directv is something I don't think we'll ever see. Takes up too much satellite transponder space, and the average Joe can't tell the difference between a 15 Mbit HD signal and a 35 Mbit HD signal. I have access to both, and Versus Hockey looks way better at 35mbit than 15, lemme tell you. :lol:

Directv ( and all other satellite delivered services, for that matter) is going to go where the money is, and that is quantity, not quality. Sad, but true. Just the way it is. :)
Equipment:
Azbox Elite HD FTA receiver, 12 foot Paraclipse C/Ku-band dish.
Vantage 1100s HD FTA Receiver, 8.5 foot Birdview C/Ku dish.
Scanning the skies for FREE TV is my game. :-)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...