Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV Adds New HD Channels for Fall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:36 AM

DIRECTV Adds New HD Channels for Fall; Four Discovery HD Channels, Five Starz HD Channels, CNBC and Chiller to Join the HD Pack, More on the Way

HD Version of Disney's High School Musical 2 to Air Exclusively on

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 23, 2007--DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, continues to set the stage for its unprecedented expansion of HD services. With agreements in place to launch four Discovery HD channels, five HD channels from Starz, CNBC and Chiller in HD, along with recently completed deals with The History Channel and A&E, DIRECTV is on schedule to roll out up to 100 national HD channels by year-end to satisfy the appetite of its HD customers, who have doubled over the last year.

See the rest of the press release at: DirecTV Investor Relations

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   achildfromthe80s

achildfromthe80s

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:42 AM

Wow! That's quite a ambitious layout! I can't wait to see how this unfolds!

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

I might just have to consider subscribing to STARZ for a little while.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:44 AM

Man... I can't wait!!! 5 HD Starz channels. That is awsome!!!!! :icon_da:

#5 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:48 AM

very cool!

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#6 OFFLINE   uncrules

uncrules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:53 AM

I notice that HBO HD West and Cinemax HD are missing where as Showtime West and TMC HD are listed. I wonder if Time Warner is trying to play hard ball and to stick it to D*.
1 HR34-700 (w/AM21N), 2 HR24-500 (1 w/AM21), 2 HR22-100 - Whole Home DVR with DECA and broadband DECA setup
Panasonic Viera 65" TC-P65V10, Magnavox 42" 42MF337B, Sony Bravia 40" KDL40EX400, 2 Vizio 37" E370VL
Directv subscriber since 1995
Xbox 360 Elite, 2 PS3, Nintendo Wii

#7 OFFLINE   noneroy

noneroy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

Well, seriously. Now that D* is owned by Liberty, it was only a matter of time before every Stars channel under the sun was added.

13 a month for 1 HD HBO channel won't fly with the woman, but 5 HD Stars channels probably would.

Does anyone know what Stars' philosophy is on aspect ratio?

#8 OFFLINE   bishoptf

bishoptf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:03 AM

DIRECTV Adds New HD Channels for Fall; Four Discovery HD Channels, Five Starz HD Channels, CNBC and Chiller to Join the HD Pack, More on the Way

See the rest of the press release at: DirecTV Investor Relations

This is great news but will be better once the sat is safely up and working. Then I wonder how long will it be untill they raise the HD package price....I really don't mind 10.00 but if they go to $20 like Dish then I will have to re-evaluate.

#9 OFFLINE   noneroy

noneroy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

This is great news but will be better once the sat is safely up and working. Then I wonder how long will it be untill they raise the HD package price....I really don't mind 10.00 but if they go to $20 like Dish then I will have to re-evaluate.

Didn't they say in the conference call that it wasn't going to be any more expensive?

#10 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,842 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:08 AM

I notice that HBO HD West and Cinemax HD are missing where as Showtime West and TMC HD are listed. I wonder if Time Warner is trying to play hard ball and to stick it to D*.

I'm sure "negotiations are proceeding" as we speak. I'll bet that they'll be there by the time the satellite turns on.

#11 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

Does anyone know what Stars' philosophy is on aspect ratio?

Do you mean do they stretch their HD? If that's the question, the answer is "no, they don't." Starz in HD looks mighty nice.

#12 OFFLINE   noneroy

noneroy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

Do you mean do they stretch their HD? If that's the question, the answer is "no, they don't." Starz in HD looks mighty nice.

Yeah. That was my question. I *HATE* how HBO does that. HDNetMovies gets it right, sounds like Stars does too.

#13 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

Yeah. That was my question. I *HATE* how HBO does that. HDNetMovies gets it right, sounds like Stars does too.

Right now I get Starz, TMC and Showtime in HD (through FiOS), and of the three I think Starz does the best job (they have the nicest picture of the three in HD). My jaw hit the floor when I saw Cars in HD, e.g.

#14 OFFLINE   uncrules

uncrules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

Sleuth HD was also missing. I thought that Sleuth HD was previously announced.
1 HR34-700 (w/AM21N), 2 HR24-500 (1 w/AM21), 2 HR22-100 - Whole Home DVR with DECA and broadband DECA setup
Panasonic Viera 65" TC-P65V10, Magnavox 42" 42MF337B, Sony Bravia 40" KDL40EX400, 2 Vizio 37" E370VL
Directv subscriber since 1995
Xbox 360 Elite, 2 PS3, Nintendo Wii

#15 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

Didn't they say in the conference call that it wasn't going to be any more expensive?

I don't think we will see an increase at the launch of the channels but next March when historically they have done increases on their base package. IMO I pretty sure there will be an increase next year. What I think will happen is they will leave the price a $9.99 and launch all of these channels this fall and winter. Customers will come and enjoy then in sometime next year they will raise the price. Some customers will re-evaluate their programming packages and needs, others will simply be hooked. Also, keep in mind that if you have activated an HD receiver or HD DVR after 3/1/07, you are required to keep the HD Access on the account (at least you're supposed to).

#16 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:27 AM

If these stations are not captioned, or not captioned well (i.e. like TNT-HD they are out of sync), I'm cancelling my HD package.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#17 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

Sleuth HD was also missing. I thought that Sleuth HD was previously announced.

I don't think the list in the press release was comprehensive. Either that or Sleuth HD is coming later. Or maybe they figured that since it was already announced they didn't need to do that here. Or they may have just forgotten :)

#18 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:34 AM

If these stations are not captioned, or not captioned well (i.e. like TNT-HD they are out of sync), I'm cancelling my HD package.

I think TNT HD is pretty crappy to begin with. I'm less than impressed with it. So it doesn't surprise me that they captioning is crappy too. I would have to guess that with all these new channels it's gonna be a crap-shoot. Some will be really nice, others not so much. Some will have lots of real HD content... others mostly just uprezzed SD. For example, with FiOS I get a channel called Wealth TV - in both SD and HD. Why HD? I have no idea. The picture is crappy (the SD actually looks better on my TV), and the content isn't anything to write home about. I'm sure that it'll be the same for other channels going the HD route.

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,556 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:35 AM

Well, seriously. Now that D* is owned by Liberty, it was only a matter of time before every Stars channel under the sun was added.

There are STARS under the SUN???

Sounds like a disaster movie!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#20 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:38 AM

Two things.

First, at CES they announced that HD versions of all their premium movie channels would be added. So I'm sure TMC HD, Cinemax HD and so forth are coming as well.

MOST IMPORTANT:
Official confirmation that the RSN's in HD will go up on the new sat and be CONUS.

In addition to the networks listed below, DIRECTV also plans to offer the HD feeds of regional sports networks on a nationwide basis this fall...

Just in time for hockey season to start up again (since my Wings are now eliminated. Finally, HD hockey and I don't have to deal with channel 94/95 guide crap. Islesfan should be happy. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...