Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Largest hardrive that can be added to HR20?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   frivera28

frivera28

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

I have seen 750gb and 1tb.

Is there anyone that has added a larger drive

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:07 AM

I believe you can add as big of a eSata HD as you can find. If I am wrong about that someone please correct me.

#3 OFFLINE   frivera28

frivera28

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

I believe you can add as big of a eSata HD as you can find. If I am wrong about that someone please correct me.

what about enclosures where you can add multiple drives. I would like to add as much space as possible.

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

what about enclosures where you can add multiple drives. I would like to add as much space as possible.

I believe you can do that. I have not looked in to it to much yet because I have not got one since I don't save my recording's. So hopefully someone can answer for sure. I would also like to know for sure because when the new HD channels are released I will get one then.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

There is someone here that has added a 3.5TB setup...

The limitation is finding an eSATA solution, that will allow you to do the more complex RAID options with many drives...
Without a dedicated special eSATA controller, or requiring any type of special software to be installed...

With 1TB SATA drives available... getting 2TB working should be pretty straight forward...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   GollyGee

GollyGee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

I have a four- drive enclosure that works fine.

The enclosure has a Silicon Image 4726 RAID chip inside. The RAID chip makes the four drives appear as a single drive to the HR20.

The only disadvantage is that you can't grow the storage without the HR20 erasing everything and starting fresh.
Relax... It's only television

#7 OFFLINE   Bluto17

Bluto17

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:18 AM

I saw this 2TB setup on dealnews.com today:
http://dealnews.com/...ate/169337.html

#8 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:21 AM

I haven't been following the outboard hard drive threads at all. Initially a biger drive did not add recording hours. Has this changed?

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#9 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

Which 2 drive enclosures seem to work the best and be the most popular?

I've got the spare 500GB drives, just need an enclosure.....

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

I haven't been following the outboard hard drive threads at all. Initially a biger drive did not add recording hours. Has this changed?

On the HR20 that changed back in October when the eSATA drives were enabled.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#11 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:09 AM

Thanks Tom. I might be shopping for a hard drive soon!

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#12 OFFLINE   frivera28

frivera28

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:51 AM

I have a four- drive enclosure that works fine.

The enclosure has a Silicon Image 4726 RAID chip inside. The RAID chip makes the four drives appear as a single drive to the HR20.

The only disadvantage is that you can't grow the storage without the HR20 erasing everything and starting fresh.

Can you post a link for the drive? Are four drives the biggest option?

So if I had 5 1tb drives. I would be able to use 5 tb of storage for my dvr?

#13 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Tom. I might be shopping for a hard drive soon!

Just keep in mind that when you attach an eSATA drive, it does not add that capacity to the existing capacity. The internal drive is unused, and none of your existing recordings, guide data, scheduled recordings, etc. are available.
Brett

#14 OFFLINE   Inches

Inches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:09 AM

Just keep in mind that when you attach an eSATA drive, it does not add that capacity to the existing capacity. The internal drive is unused, and none of your existing recordings, guide data, scheduled recordings, etc. are available.

Can you unplug the eSATA drive and revert back to the internal drive?? Will then the exisiting recordings and etc. become available again?
1 - HR24-200
--··· ···-- -·· · -·- -···· ·-· -·· -·-

#15 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,458 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:24 AM

Can you unplug the eSATA drive and revert back to the internal drive?? Will then the exisiting recordings and etc. become available again?

If you haven't updated the s/w in between, definitely. Not sure if an upgrade was performed, however. I'm guessing "yes", tho. Others? /s
/steve

#16 OFFLINE   dragonbait

dragonbait

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

If you haven't updated the s/w in between, definitely. Not sure if an upgrade was performed, however. I'm guessing "yes", tho. Others? /s

Yes, it works fine after software upgrades. In fact I booted with the internal drive for the first time since February this weekend when I upgraded the UPS the equipment is on. Everything worked fine.

#17 OFFLINE   jeff125va

jeff125va

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:39 AM

Is it completely unused, or is it just not used to store recordings? I.e., is the internal drive used to run the software and the external used to store recordings? What I'm getting at is, could I use the internal drive in a multi-drive enclosure? On the other hand, it would be nice to know the internal drive is in there as a backup.

What size is the internal drive? If the only option is to use one or the other, it wouldn't really be worth getting one that's only a little bit larger.

#18 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

The internal drive is completely ignored when an external drive is attached. The software is completely stored in flash memory on the CPU/Video mother board. And, alas all the settings that aren't stored in non-volatile memory but on the disk are forgotten; you'll have to reset them: Seriese Links, recording defaults, one-time recordings, etc.

The internal drive is ~320gb depending on which HR20 model.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#19 OFFLINE   Bish

Bish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:06 AM

The internal drive is completely ignored when an external drive is attached. The software is completely stored in flash memory on the CPU/Video mother board. And, alas all the settings that aren't stored in non-volatile memory but on the disk are forgotten; you'll have to reset them: Seriese Links, recording defaults, one-time recordings, etc.

The internal drive is ~320gb depending on which HR20 model.

Cheers,
Tom

My HR20-700 came with a Seagate DB35 320Gb drive. This is the new "designed for dvr" drive. My 750Gb Barracuda works just fine in it's place though. I will have to find a use for the original.

#20 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

My HR20-700 came with a Seagate DB35 320Gb drive. This is the new "designed for dvr" drive. My 750Gb Barracuda works just fine in it's place though. I will have to find a use for the original.

You can send it to me. :D If I get enough, I'll have all the drives I need for a modest RAID5 system. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

spam firewall