Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Largest hardrive that can be added to HR20?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

Can you post a link for the drive? Are four drives the biggest option?

So if I had 5 1tb drives. I would be able to use 5 tb of storage for my dvr?

You have (5) 1TB drives sitting around? Wow, that's hardcore. Can we be friends? :)

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

My HR20-700 came with a Seagate DB35 320Gb drive. This is the new "designed for dvr" drive. My 750Gb Barracuda works just fine in it's place though. I will have to find a use for the original.

So does that mean you cracked the case on your HR-20? Shame on you.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#23 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:59 PM

Can you unplug the eSATA drive and revert back to the internal drive?? Will then the exisiting recordings and etc. become available again?

Yes, most definitely. I have done this several times with mine.

Cheers,
John

#24 OFFLINE   Bish

Bish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:10 PM

So does that mean you cracked the case on your HR-20? Shame on you.

Yup. More difficult than the HR10-250 but not bad. Much better mounting system in the HR20 IMO. No more "warranty void if removed" either :lol: Took a little alcohol to remove the residue from the back where the sticker was. I'm gambling since it is a leased unit and Directv usually has their heads up their.......well you know, that they won't catch the sticker if I replace it under warranty. Besides, since I'm an A list customer, I'm sure they will just waive any potential fees:hurah:

Bottom line for me was it is going in a bedroom and I don't want another box housing the drive. Besides, the FreeAgentPro is lit up like a Christmas tree when powered on.

#25 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

My HR20-700 came with a Seagate DB35 320Gb drive. This is the new "designed for dvr" drive. My 750Gb Barracuda works just fine in it's place though. I will have to find a use for the original.

Won't you need to hang onto the 320, in case you have to send the HR20 back to D*? /s
/steve

#26 OFFLINE   Bish

Bish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:08 PM

Won't you need to hang onto the 320, in case you have to send the HR20 back to D*? /s

Yes I should. Given that I have 4 other DVR's (2 HD, 2-SD), I'm dying to try their "DVR" drive in another machine. I could always pull the other 320Gb from my other HR20, use one of the two for something else and keep the one in case I have a failure. Knocking on wood....I have not have a single hardware issue on any of my dvr's. Until I made that statement of course :lol:

#27 OFFLINE   mganga

mganga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:15 PM

any hope that a near future software update will enable hr-20 to see/use both internal and external drives?

#28 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

any hope that a near future software update will enable hr-20 to see/use both internal and external drives?

Earl has reported that it is likely a long way off.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#29 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

Yes I should. Given that I have 4 other DVR's (2 HD, 2-SD), I'm dying to try their "DVR" drive in another machine. I could always pull the other 320Gb from my other HR20, use one of the two for something else and keep the one in case I have a failure. Knocking on wood....I have not have a single hardware issue on any of my dvr's. Until I made that statement of course :lol:

That sounds like a plan. Before you do, check if your older machines are IDE and not SATA. If they're D* TIVO-based, they're definitely IDE. /s
/steve

#30 OFFLINE   Bish

Bish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:26 PM

That sounds like a plan. Before you do, check if your older machines are IDE and not SATA. If they're D* TIVO-based, they're definitely IDE. /s

Good point, you are absolutely correct. Guess I'll have to find another use for them. I seem to collect old hard drives but these are so fresh it would be a shame not to put them to use:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...