Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS, CW & MyNetworkTV locals in HD?? Any plan?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

It appears that the intention of the PBS affiliates is to demand full carriage of their digital offerings.

Why?? My local cable offerings only carry the PBS HD channel, none of the subchannels. Why wouldn't DirecTV/DishNetwork be able to do the same as Charter, Comcast, et al.?
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

Is the cablevision DVR really as bad as I've heard it is?

Years ago I had their Digital Box when they were first rolling them out and it was bad. It crashed all the time, guide data built slow etc. I suspect they had to many problems with them. After that they had a period where you could not add digital but could keep it if you had it. I dropped it anyway.

If they have Motorla DVRS forget it. Horrid!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#63 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

Is the cablevision DVR really as bad as I've heard it is?

Years ago I had their Digital Box when they were first rolling them out and it was bad. It crashed all the time, guide data built slow etc. I suspect they had to many problems with them. After that they had a period where you could not add digital but could keep it if you had it. I dropped it anyway.

It's bad. Mine is running SARA on a Scientific Atlanta. The graphics for the guide look like they were designed on a Commodore Vic 20; the guide is not widescreen; there's a different font/GUI used on the DVR playlist; searches are by title only; and it's only 20 hours of HD space. (It can be expanded with eSATA ... but ... )

#64 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

Mine is running SARA on a Scientific Atlanta.

That is the worst interface out there today. Just a complete pile of garbage.

#65 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:56 PM

As of the last update on Lyngsat's 99 & 103 pages, here's the markets that get some extra networks, not just the "big 4":

Sat 99

My20 - Washington

Sat 103

My4 - San Francisco
WGN (CW) - Chicago
My20 - Detroit
My27 - Dallas
Philly 57 (CW) - Philadelphia
CW 69 - Atlanta

Any updates on expanding this to other markets? It looks like they're planning on doing it some day...is it contract negotiations, equipment requirements that are holding it up?

Los Angeles gets MPEG4 CW - KTLA 5 also. Don't remember off the top my head which sat we get our's from... I think it's 103.

#66 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:28 PM

That is the worst interface out there today. Just a complete pile of garbage.

I use "POS" rather than "POG."

Not even a glorified VCR. A VCR remembers where I stopped watching the tape.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#67 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:57 AM

That is sad. How long has Tivo and Replay been available. OR Dishnetwork starting with the Dishplayer or DirecTv with the MS Ultimate TV (Dishplayer got right)?

Buy some of the competition, see what they did right, what they did wrong, Do market research see what your intended audience wants. Don't copy , innovate!

Be consistent in interface design. Even the movies understand consistent as AFAIK they have someone to maintain consistency between shots. IE actors wear the same clothes, surroundings ar ethe same etc.

They do miss of course. Such as the PAcBell phones in what was supposed to be Washington airport in Diehard 2 or the power lines in teh distance in a western.

Maybe it is rocket science to design a DVR and they don't want to pay?

#68 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:52 AM

Good development takes time and money. Ask DirecTV. They spent a lot of time and money working on the HR20 and are still working it hard. The SA8300 hardware seems okay but the SARA software is a mess. (There is another interface out there that has most of the Tivo/HR20 like abilities.)

I am sure the cable companies that are using SARA are getting it cheap (maybe even free with the hardware). They figure they can provide lots of boxes and make as much money as they can and have a simple box.

The problem is the simple box is not only horrible in features but it is actually harder for a non-techie to use. The interace is almost non-existant and very un-friendly.

While I have DirecTV, I also have cable. I hope and pray that Comcast where I live either switches to the Motorola system or has Tivo ported to the SA units.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#69 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:42 AM

I have satellite with a HD DVR and Basic cable but I'm not paying them more for a cable company HD DVR then I am for the basic cable that just seems wrong to me. So I watch WLIW or WNET PBS stations in HD from cable and the other locals on a HD DVR from satellite and use a Tivo series one standalone for other things such as overflow and local news.

At least using basic cable to watch the local PBS stations they don't interrupt the show with commercials. And for what they are worth I get the sub channels via cable too.

#70 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 923 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:41 AM

In NJ, then put up a OTA antenna or get basic cable. On basic cable I'm getting all the NYC HD feeds + Subchannels. A whole lot more than either Satellite company provides.

Yes I do have Sat TV and HD DVR and Basic cable and i hate watching basic cable with no DVR but I'm not paying more for their DVR than the service. OTOH if I want to watch as an example Foyles War on WLIW it is either watch it in HD via cable or in SD on the DVR.

Which cable do you have? I have basic cable with CV and a QAM tuner on my TV and I'm only getting SOME of the local HD feeds through my QAM (I think only the big 4 and maybe PBS). We used to get more, but they started blocking some of them over the last few months.

#71 OFFLINE   Bitz69

Bitz69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:20 AM

I Just talked with my Local PBS(WGVU) and they told me that just two weeks ago Directv contacted them and stated they will be adding them in HD in 4th Quarter.

I don't watch a lot of PBS but having it still will be nice. Now if I could only get my local NBC in HD, not sure what the problem there is.

#72 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:46 AM

I guess I'm lucky that I live within 20 miles of the the local channels. I just put a small amplified antenna in my upstairs hallway, and I get great reception on my HR20.

#73 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

Which cable do you have? I have basic cable with CV and a QAM tuner on my TV and I'm only getting SOME of the local HD feeds through my QAM (I think only the big 4 and maybe PBS). We used to get more, but they started blocking some of them over the last few months.

I'm presuming you mean cablevision when you say CV? Which would be what I have.

I don't have a link handy however it is my understanding they cannot encrypt or otherwise block local HD such as requiring a box to view.

Checking the Internet shows http://www.physorg.c...ws96889300.html

I wasn't getting any of the HD feeds earlier, only some of the sub channels. My basic SD channels were fine just no networks or PBS in HD.

Then when I added Optonline high speed Internet it didn't work. A service call and the tech replaced the connectors on both ends of the line feeding into the house from the pole as well as removing the filter they used to use to restrict me to the channels on basic cable. Now according to the tech they don't use the filters since beyond basic it is all scrambled anyway. Now nice high speed, and I scanned for HD channels a few days later and they are working.

In fact the first time I've ever called for support and had no problem getting them to come out. I explained how I had done the self install. Splitter where the wire comes from the pole, one line to TV sets and the other direct to the modem. At that point he said, we need to schedule a call. I explained same setup to the tech, he checked signal levels and said they are low, changed out the ends, I tested and working. He never came in the house. He was confident that with teh work he had done it wasn't needed. While I was testing the Internet, he was filling out the paperwork. Sure enough he was right. Since I prefer not having strangers tramoing through the house into the basement where the computer is, I was happy.

Whether the HD issue was the same problem as the cable modem service or the filter at the pole I can not say. I do like that now I can watch WLIW and WNET in HD even if it is live. I much prefer a DVR so I can skip all the junk. However PBS once the show starts it isn't interrupted like other channels so...

#74 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:34 AM

it is my understanding they cannot encrypt or otherwise block local HD such as requiring a box to view.

They are allowed to do whatever they want with local HD, but the FCC strongly recommends that they send it unencrypted. Pretty much every cable company does.

#75 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

Here's a Wikipedia article on "Must-carry": http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Must-carry

Here's a brief article about "must-carry" rules for multicast channels: http://dtvfacts.com/...icast-channels/

Here's another article about the first must-carry rules for Alaska and Hawaii: http://www.broadcast...s&referral=supp

The FCC has already ruled that it did not interpret digital must-carry to apply to cable carriage of all of a broadcasters' multicast signals, but instead to only a replication of its primary signal. The FCC's cable must-carry decision was based on its interpretation of Congress' use of the phrase "primary video" to describe the digital broadcast signal that cable must carry.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...