Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Q: Direct TV and Dish together

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oblio98

oblio98

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 09:28 PM

I live in CT and I currently have a DISH Network system consisting of a 721 PVR and a 6000 Receiver for HDTV. I have both receivers located in my theater room, and aside from the component video which directly goes to my projector, I have the normal video/audio outputs of each of the receivers fed to a Channel Plus modulator, making each receiver available on all TV's in the house, the PVR on Channel 85 and the 6000 on Channel 87.

I like DISH because I get the independant stations, and up until the time I added the 6000, I got the Distant Networks, which was great. THey took those away, although for some reason, NBC granted the waiver!! I really wanted the HDTV from CBS, but alas I cannot get it.

What I am thinking of doing is replacing the 721 with a 921 (when it comes out), thus deleting the need for the 6000. To replace it, I am considering a Direct TV receiver(!!). Since the merger was squished, I must resort to Direct TV to get the local stations, the YES network, and the MLB package.

I have NO IDEA about Direct TV. Do they have multiple sats like DISH? What type of dish will I need to get the locals plus the MLB package? I looked on eBay, and there are dishes with 1, 2 and 3(!) LNBs on them. Is the Direct TV Sat located in the same area as the DISH network sat? Could I place both dishes on the same post?

Do you know of anyone else who has done this?

Anything else I should be thinking of?

THANKS

:-jon

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 04:06 AM

You cannot do what you want, or at least, not cheaply. Directv does not sell locals a la carte. You would have to take Total Choice & locals @ $35.99 or TC+ & locals @ $39.99.

YES would be thrown in at no extra charge. MLBEI could be taken a la carte.

To get Hartford locals, you would need the 18x24 dish w/2 LNBs (1 for 101, 1 for 119). All MLBEI channels and YES are on 101 with the majority of Directv programming, while Hartford locals are on the 119. If you want Directv HD channels, you will want to add the SatC kit w/3rd LNB pointed at the 110 sat.
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#3 OFFLINE   oblio98

oblio98

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for the reply.

So, if I wanted to have locals, MLB, and HDNet, would I need two dishes (for Direct TV), or could I use a single dish with a 3rd LNB?
(Can one dish do 101,110 and 119??)

THANKS

#4 OFFLINE   stugil

stugil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 09:01 AM

I'm in the same boat. I've been with Dish since 98. If i don't get locals soon I Might switch. If I do I'll get Directv's New 3LNB Dish which is 18x20 with all 3 LNB's on It and Built in Multiswitch for4 tvs

#5 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 09:04 AM

Get the DirectTV Plus dish, but the older style without the intergrated switches. If you dont want/need HDTV from DirectTV, you can use this single dish to provide DTVs 101 and 119 feeds (youll need 119 for Hartford locals) and Dish's 110 and 119 feeds.

I run this setup for quite a while when I had a Dual DTV and Dish sub. I even run the 4th LNB stuck on the end for Expressvu.

#6 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 04:33 PM

Dish Network allows you to purchase only the locals but charge an extra $5 fee, which is cheaper than what cable charges for just the basic channels in most areas. I thought DirecTv allowed you to as well as long as you purchased a package for under $10 that included the music channels?

#7 OFFLINE   oblio98

oblio98

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 04:34 PM

Thanks guys

:-jon

#8 OFFLINE   rowdymon

rowdymon

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 04:42 PM

Originally posted by PeterB
Get the DirectTV Plus dish, but the older style without the intergrated switches. If you dont want/need HDTV from DirectTV, you can use this single dish to provide DTVs 101 and 119 feeds (youll need 119 for Hartford locals) and Dish's 110 and 119 feeds.

I run this setup for quite a while when I had a Dual DTV and Dish sub. I even run the 4th LNB stuck on the end for Expressvu.

Holy carp! That's insane. Isn't expressvu's satellite on 91? You're saying you got 91 from expressvu and 119 from dish on the same dish? That's almost a 30degree angle. What kind of signal strengths did you get? I'm almost 90% sure I'm switching over to DTV within the next month but because of a retailer dispute I have to stay on with Dish for another 3 months past the end of the Dish contract. Having both on one dish would help very much in reducing the clutter on the side of the house. (Of course I 'could' just drop Dish even though I'm paying for it, but what fun would that be? :D). Anyway, can you PM or email me with info on how to do this? Since Dish and DTV both have sats at 119, is it safe to assume that they are essentially the same satellite and that any settings I use (aka from either DTV or E*) will be safe to use? Do you think it'd be a little weird to ask the DTV install guy to do this for me? Maybe if I offered him some brownies......

#9 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 05:17 PM

There are special dishes to pick them all up on the same dish, so it is possible. one type of dish has a little reflector in front of it in which bounces the signal a second time before reaching the lnbf helping to reduce the size of the dish to make this possible. They also have bigger dishes with a row of lnbf's to make this a possibility as well and I have seen another solution, and have a link somewhere, if I can find it. It was discussed on here in the past.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 08:52 PM

$200 on Ebay
Posted Image

or ~$120 for an old style D*+ Dish, ~$40 for 2 additional LNBs and a buck for a bag of those tie back thingys :D
Posted Image
http://www.techweenies.com/dss-1.shtml
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#11 OFFLINE   rowdymon

rowdymon

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 08:57 PM

Steve, I have access to that old style dish (the 2nd one in ur post). But what would the signal strength be like if I did this? I don't want to have to suffer through occasional blackouts. I have one of those cheap signal meters (the sf-95 kind that emits an annoying pitch), but this only works for aiming one satellite at a time. Do you recommend something else for this type of an install?

#12 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 09:15 PM

I really don't know how well the reception is, but I suppose it's pretty good, considering the guy that put it together uses it. I don't think none of us wanna go through an occasional signal drop, if it not absolutely necessary. :)

Personally, I would just use a separate dish for each service, or if by no other choice a dish like that one I posted a pic of from Ebay. I'm not big into DIY, but YMMV.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#13 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 09:37 PM

I have tried the dish500 rig up strapping a directv lnbf to it and could not get a directv signal in on it. What did I do wrong?

#14 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 07:22 PM

Rowdy: I get high 90s on my DTV system on 119 and 101. Bev system is high 80s-low 90s.

I hooked up my old 3900 to make fun of the charlie chat tonight :) and I am getting 110 on the non-spotbeams of 119 for dish.

#15 OFFLINE   rowdymon

rowdymon

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 07:29 PM

Originally posted by PeterB
Rowdy: I get high 90s on my DTV system on 119 and 101. Bev system is high 80s-low 90s.

I hooked up my old 3900 to make fun of the charlie chat tonight :) and I am getting 110 on the non-spotbeams of 119 for dish.

Are those DTV signals out of 100 or 125? On dish, the signal meter goes up to 125 for some reason.

Stupid question alert: What side of the dish does the Bev lnb go on if you're looking at the dish from the back? I'm in Chicago. I
think it should be on the left side (right next to the 101 lnb), right?

By the way, doesn't installing a dish lnb in the 119 slot mean that you won't receive any DTV programming from that slot? Is there even anything on that 119 satellite?

#16 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 07:29 PM

I have mine setup like the second one and it works well. :D

#17 OFFLINE   rowdymon

rowdymon

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 07:32 PM

Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
I have mine setup like the second one and it works well. :D

Nice, how many hours did you spend on the roof?

#18 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 07:45 PM

Originally posted by rowdymon

Are those DTV signals out of 100 or 125? On dish, the signal meter goes up to 125 for some reason.

Stupid question alert: What side of the dish does the Bev lnb go on if you're looking at the dish from the back? I'm in Chicago. I
think it should be on the left side (right next to the 101 lnb), right?

By the way, doesn't installing a dish lnb in the 119 slot mean that you won't receive any DTV programming from that slot? Is there even anything on that 119 satellite?

1) out of 100

2) yep, next to 101.

3) it can be split, DTV had HDTV, spanish, Nasa TV and some locals there..

#19 OFFLINE   rowdymon

rowdymon

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 08:02 PM

Do you think Directv customer service could get someone to set up the dish like in the 2nd picture?

#20 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 09:58 AM

Originally posted by rowdymon
Do you think Directv customer service could get someone to set up the dish like in the 2nd picture?

I doubt it, but you can just get them to install the DTV plus dish, even have them run a extra coax from the dish to the room you want your bev system in. then go up, with the tiewraps and the lnb and your up and running in minutes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...