Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

EchoStar launching shopping service

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

The Rocky Mountain News had a four-paragraph short with that headline today. No link available. :(

"EchoStar Communications said Thursday it is launching an interactive shopping service with HSN." Most subs would be able to use their remote to buy certain HSN products. HSN said its trials had gone well, so it's rolling it out nationally. It also said that "most purchases should take less than a minute to complete."

Broadcast Newsroom has a longer article here: http://avid.broadcas...e.jsp?id=144358

"In the weeks to come, subscribers will be able to access the service directly through HSN, via Dish channels 84 and 222, by simply pressing select on their remote when they see an item they want to purchase."
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

Great now we have to block out HSN or our Sons and Daughter will bankrupt us with all the stuff that they will purchase from HSN using our Credit Card.
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#3 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

The Rocky Mountain News had a four-paragraph short with that headline today. No link available. :(

"EchoStar Communications said Thursday it is launching an interactive shopping service with HSN." Most subs would be able to use their remote to buy certain HSN products. HSN said its trials had gone well, so it's rolling it out nationally. It also said that "most purchases should take less than a minute to complete."

Broadcast Newsroom has a longer article here: http://avid.broadcas...e.jsp?id=144358

"In the weeks to come, subscribers will be able to access the service directly through HSN, via Dish channels 84 and 222, by simply pressing select on their remote when they see an item they want to purchase."

Who cares?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#4 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

Who cares?

All those shopaholics.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#5 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

haven't these people heard of the internet. Stop cramming stupid stuff like that into the TV bandwidth.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

haven't these people heard of the internet. Stop cramming stupid stuff like that into the TV bandwidth.

I agree with you there, and it's slow. Useless!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#7 OFFLINE   jrb531

jrb531

Icon

• Registered
  • 916 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

Can we get this channel in HD? *smiles*

Yet another channel to block off.

As far as shopping... since Dish is basically one-way communication the only way to order is to dial in via the built in modem. Wow! This is so state of the art!

LOL

-JB

#8 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

Back in the old days when I was a satellite dealer I actually had a few customers purchase systems just so that they could get a home shopping channel (or two). I had one buy a Dish system so that they could get ShopNBC because of Carmella Richards being one of the one air people. They just about went crazy when I told them that I sold and installed a C-band system for her and her husband in Minnesnowta and that they were coming to Vero Beach for a visit in a few days. Of course, skip forward a few years and Carmella is no longer on the air and she and her husband are no longer together. :( There's just no telling what some people might like to watch, which is the nice thing about satellite.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,334 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

As far as shopping... since Dish is basically one-way communication the only way to order is to dial in via the built in modem.

For now.

The important thing is to make ordering from HSN as easy as buying a PPV. It isn't intended to be a full service marketplace. (Although there are a lot of shopping options available on channel 100.)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   jrb531

jrb531

Icon

• Registered
  • 916 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

For now.

The important thing is to make ordering from HSN as easy as buying a PPV. It isn't intended to be a full service marketplace. (Although there are a lot of shopping options available on channel 100.)

The delay you have when looking at your bill or other current "two-way" communication is pretty horrid. While the amount of data being sent upstream is well within the 2400 baud modem capability that these units have, the fact that they have to dial and sync up with every transaction makes it very very slow.

Now if they dialed up and kept you logged in (and the phone line tied up) while you shopped then this might just work but I suspect that the expense of having a large number of free lines would prevent this.

The only other way I can think of it would be for them to download a large amount of data to your unit and store it locally and as you shopped you would just build up a shopping list to be transmitted when you check out. Considering how long this currently takes (when you want to play a game or see movie info) it would also be slow but only when you start up the service.

Now if this is going to be set up as a sort of home shopping service so you can hit a button while they have that made up countdown timer as the shills try and sell you stuff then you would have to dial up every time to press the order button.

Possible yes... but very clunky by todays standards.

True two-way communication is a very expensive proposition right now.

I can see one way that this would be nice and that is to have the charge be placed on your Dish bill so you would not have to deal with credit card stuff. This would be gold and true "impulse buying" at it's best (or worst LOL) but then again how do you deal with the kiddies who buy stuff on your credit card without you knowing?

Parental locks... well some people use them but if you made this an "opt in" deal (you cannot do this until you set up an account with a special password) then it would be ok but they would not want "opt in" as people would not want to deal with setting anything up.

-JB

Protected By... spam firewall...And...