Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SilverStone DS351 esata & hr20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flava

flava

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:13 PM

Hi

This past week I purchased a SilverStone DS351 esata enclosure along with five 750 GB drives. This enclosure uses the Silicon Image Sil4726 chipset, which uses a port multiplier technology that people on this forum have successfully connected multiple sata drives to and have working.

I hooked it all up on Thursday and recorded a bunch of stuff but noticed a few things that made me think I was only using one of the 750 GB drives, rather than all 5. For one, there are LEDs for each of the drives on the front that light up when the drive is being accessed. Only 1 of the LEDs was flashing. Also, when I looked at the percentage of space available, it was going down faster than I expected.

So I disconnected it and hooked it up to a Windows PC. Apparently you can't just use any esata card, you need to use the one provided with it, which has the Sil3132 Chipset. I connected that card and could see that by default the enclosure was using JBOD, so the disks were all individual. I installed the software that came with the enclosure to configure the RAID and configured it as RAID 0, where it showed approximately 3.5 TB of available space. I then disconnected it from Windows and reconnected it to my HR20. After a minute or so, I saw all the LEDs blinking on the enclosure, thinking that now everything is working.

The problem however is that the space still seems to be going down faster than I would expect. I have recorded 19 1/2 hours of HiDef so far and I have 94% available. Maybe that's correct. That would equal about 325 hours of HD recording on 3.5 TB. Does that sound right?

Besides wanting to check the size, I wanted to make a post about this since I haven't seen anything posted about this enclosure yet and wanted people to know that it seems to work and what you need to do to get it working properly.

I can't add URLs to my link but I got it at NewEgg and the item number is
N82E16817256018.

I got the hard drives at Frys for $200 each. Total cost for 3.75 Terrabyte enclosure that looks nice in an audio rack = $1500. I also purchased two 80mm fans from a local computer store because the enclosure doesn't include them. The guy at the store assured me they were very quiet and I have to agree. They are Vantec Stealth fans and although it is a touch louder than it was without them, they cooled the case quite a bit. Before the fans each drive was around 45-48C, after adding both fans each drive is around 35-38C.

If anyone can tell me if the size is going down at the right rate and my calculations sound correct it would be appreciated. Also, I'd be happy to answer any questions about this enclosure since I really appreciate this forum and everyone's input. It's been really helpful.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:47 AM

Hi.....

The problem however is that the space still seems to be going down faster than I would expect. I have recorded 19 1/2 hours of HiDef so far and I have 94% available. Maybe that's correct. That would equal about 325 hours of HD recording on 3.5 TB. Does that sound right?

If anyone can tell me if the size is going down at the right rate and my calculations sound correct it would be appreciated. Also, I'd be happy to answer any questions about this enclosure since I really appreciate this forum and everyone's input. It's been really helpful.

Thanks.

The first question I would ask is if your recordings are mpeg2 or mpeg4?

As a point of reference, I have a 750 GB external eSata. It has been stated numerous times on this forum that Directv sets aside ~100 GB of storage space for future uses (VOD, etc.) So in my case, I have ~650 GB of recording space left. And I can say that every hour of HD mpeg2 recording takes 1% off of the disk space meter. I know this is not "exact", but I believe it is a good indication of file sizes based upon OTA HD recordings on my media center PC.

So with all this being said, I "think" you should get over 550 hours of mpeg2 HD recordings with your 3.75 TB setup. I hope this makes some sense and helps you out with your setup.

Cheers,
John

#3 OFFLINE   frivera28

frivera28

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

Why didn't you go for the Hitachi 1TB SATA ? You could have gotten 3@ $400 and eventually add 2 more when the price comes down

#4 OFFLINE   flava

flava

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:49 PM

John4924-

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was gone for the weekend and then celebrated my birthday so I'm finally back home for a night. I am now up to 74:10 hours of MPEG 2 HD content, 1 hour of MPEG 2 SD content, and 3 hours of MPEG 4 HD content. I am now at 73% available. I figure that this shows that I only have about 289 hours of HD recording in MPEG2. I still wonder if my entire RAID is being used. I wish there was a way to see how much space was seen by the HR20.

Also, in response to frivera28, I wouldn't want to have to disconnect each drive each time I wanted to find something I recorded on a different drive. I'd also have to go through the process of rebooting and waiting about 15 minutes in-between for the HR20 to boot up and gather all the satellite data it needed again. This way, I have all the space available to me at once. No hassle, just all there at once. Now, after reading your post again, I'm wondering if you're talking about some sort of internal TB drive. They are $400 each? So $1200 for 3? Still would rather have the whole RAID now and not lose anything later when I want to add more drives. I hadn't seen these, and I guess this was still a cheaper option, 3.75 TB for $1000 vs. 3 TB for $1200.

#5 OFFLINE   frivera28

frivera28

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:27 PM

tigerdirect has them for $449.

So maybe $1350 for 3.

I was asking why you did not put 1tb drives into the SilverStone DS351 esata enclosure. I dont know if this is possible and I wanted to know why you went with smaller drives.

Can you only put 2 or 3 in the enclosure or do you have to fill it up?

#6 OFFLINE   flava

flava

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

You could put only 2 or 3 in the enclosure, but if you ever wanted to add more at a later time, I think you would have to recreate the RAID, losing all your existing recordings and starting new. I'm not 100% sure of that, but I would guess that to be the case. I guess the price of the 750 GB drives was at a point I was willing to pay, about 26 cents a gig, which is what many 500 GB drives were for quite some time. Now I know that you can find 500 GB drives for 20 cents a gig, but 1 TB for $450 would be 45 cents a gig, almost twice as much as I paid.

I just didn't feel the price to get up to an additional 1.25 TB is worth it. (5 TB vs 3.75 TB full)

#7 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:59 PM

John4924-

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was gone for the weekend and then celebrated my birthday so I'm finally back home for a night. I am now up to 74:10 hours of MPEG 2 HD content, 1 hour of MPEG 2 SD content, and 3 hours of MPEG 4 HD content. I am now at 73% available. I figure that this shows that I only have about 289 hours of HD recording in MPEG2. I still wonder if my entire RAID is being used. I wish there was a way to see how much space was seen by the HR20....

HD MPEG2 SHOULD take about 6.5GB per hour. So, at roughly 290 hours available, your HR20 is seeing only about 1.9TB. Of course, it could also be that the % available calculation is inaccurate at such large disk volumes.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...