Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Your Ideas For Next Tips & Tricks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:50 AM

As VOD goes national, I want to be ready with the next major release of the Undocumented Tips and Tricks.

Could you see if we are missing any Tips & Tricks?

Here are new tips with initial editing to fit on one line each:

Advance Exit - When using Advance (Slip), click Replay about 3 times to exit close to where you want to be.

Mix Channels Audio - Even during initial 20 freeze, the Yellow button can still select audio source.

Previous Channels - Press Menu>Previous Ch's. Select current programs from your last four channels.

Other Tips:
* Group Folder Play instructions
* Group Folder Delete instructions
* To Do Conflicts Now show as orange X*

Updates:
* Guide Button Toggle now in Setup
* Scroll Button Toggle now in Setup (was animation)
* Setup Menu item "Resolution" renamed "HDTV"

These will put us to 133 Undocumented Tips & Tricks.

What else should be added?

- Craig

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

Craig,

Here's a tip that uses Search to simulate a Category-Only search, like on TiVo, which can be saved in your Recent Searches. (Unlike using Guide/Category search - which you need to repeat each time you want to use it.)

The example below creates a HORROR MOVIE category search.
  • Create a Keyword search
  • Press SELECT on "SPC" in the letters grid - enter nothing else as search criteria.
  • Choose CONTINUE
  • Specify Category MOVIE, subcategory HORROR.
  • This will appear in your list of Recent Searches as " & Movies, Horror", with a leading space.
Repeat for additional category searches, and in the future, just go to Recent Searches to rerun this saved search. You will have quick access to all the category searches you desire!

Good luck!

:)

#3 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:52 AM

Moderators,

Would you move this thread to the Q&A area to see if there are any final ideas to add from the larger group?

Thank you,

- Craig

#4 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

Two months ago, I had started this thread by saying, "As VOD goes naitonal..."

I was a tad off...

Here is a Prioritizer Bug work around from Drew that needs to be added to the next Tips & Tricks.

Work-Around Edit a First-Run Prioritizer Item when only repeats are avilable:

Here's the workaround to edit a series link in the Prioritizer when it shows there are no upcoming programs. Do either of the following to locate the program:

Go to the guide and manually locate the program/series
or
Go to Search by Title and enter the title.

Once you find the program/series, click SELECT on it to display the INFO page. Select "Rec. Series" from the menu at the left of the screen. You're now on the same page that would be displayed from the Prioritizer, so you can edit the settings as needed.

Thanks Drew.

- Craig

#5 OFFLINE   JMCecil

JMCecil

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:55 AM

I can't find one, but is there a work around for dealing with conflicts other than having to guess where the show is in the prioritizer. What I would like to see is the conflict screen come up when I click on the show with the conflict marker. Then let me deal with it as if I had just selected the show.
LVR: HR34 - Anthem MRX 700 - Mits L75-A94
FMR: HR21 - Angstrom 200/205 - 47-LG50

#6 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:56 AM

While in the guide, if you mash select while the channel name is highlighted the PIP will change to that channel.

-mk

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

I can't find one, but is there a work around for dealing with conflicts other than having to guess where the show is in the prioritizer. What I would like to see is the conflict screen come up when I click on the show with the conflict marker. Then let me deal with it as if I had just selected the show.

You can check your "to do list" or the guide. If the show has a X beside it then the show is a conflict and will not record.

#8 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

Add this info in for network trouble shooting for WMP11...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=90631

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#9 OFFLINE   JMCecil

JMCecil

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:23 PM

You can check your "to do list" or the guide. If the show has a X beside it then the show is a conflict and will not record.

Yes, but from there I want to resolve the conflict. I want to know what it is conflicting with so I can determine the best way to resolve the conflict. If I manually add a conflict I get the screen that lets me decide on an individual basis. I want that screen to come up when I click on a conflicted show.

#10 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

Yes, but from there I want to resolve the conflict. I want to know what it is conflicting with so I can determine the best way to resolve the conflict. If I manually add a conflict I get the screen that lets me decide on an individual basis. I want that screen to come up when I click on a conflicted show.

Press the list button and then the yellow button and that will take you to your "to do list" and you will be able to see what shows are going to record and what one will not record.

#11 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

Remind everyone that "dash" "dash" can be used to remove a series link with no upcoming recordings.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

Workaround for editing a SL with no episodes
Put all HD channels in one favorites list to use Category sort to find HD only channels
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   JMCecil

JMCecil

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

Press the list button and then the yellow button and that will take you to your "to do list" and you will be able to see what shows are going to record and what one will not record.

yes, but there is no way to deal with it. Your only option is to go try and find shows in the prioritizer. When I have run into the problem I haven't been able to find an actual show that is causing the problem. The only solution would be to go move a show in the prioritizer. I don't really want to do that. I want to be able to over-ride or cancel one of the shows easily.

The screen that warns you of the conflict when you manually add a conflict is what I'm after. That pretty much allows me to deal with a single occurence.

#14 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:30 PM

Two months ago, I had started this thread by saying, "As VOD goes naitonal..."

I was a tad off...

Here is a Prioritizer Bug work around from Drew that needs to be added to the next Tips & Tricks.

Work-Around Edit a First-Run Prioritizer Item when only repeats are avilable:

Thanks Drew.

- Craig

Craig - that was just me retyping lamontcranston's workaround from a while back, so please make sure he is credited for it!

As it is, I mistyped part of the workaround: You can't use this tip if there are NO upcoming episodes whatsoever in the guide. It's really only useful if you can at least find ONE matching program in the guide, such as when you added padding to the series link recording and had conflicts, and now want to remove the padding, or when you had it set to First Run and now want to set it to First Run and Repeats.

#15 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

Craig,

Here's a tip that uses Search to simulate a Category-Only search, like on TiVo, which can be saved in your Recent Searches. (Unlike using Guide/Category search - which you need to repeat each time you want to use it.)

The example below creates a HORROR MOVIE category search.

• Create a Keyword search
  • Press SELECT on "SPC" in the letters grid - enter nothing else as search criteria.
  • Choose CONTINUE
  • Specify Category MOVIE, subcategory HORROR.
  • This will appear in your list of Recent Searches as " & Movies, Horror", with a leading space.
Repeat for additional category searches, and in the future, just go to Recent Searches to rerun this saved search. You will have quick access to all the category searches you desire!

Good luck!

:)

Craig - One slight update to add to this tip: If you receive a new software version, your previously entered "[SPC] & [Category] searches will no longer work. You will have to re-edit them to add the "[SPC]" back as the keyword, and then delete the "broken" search. Yes, it's a little bit of work, but it does have great benefits. :)

spam firewall