Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DLB exist its just a software bug

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
150 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

But, 'fess up. You really want DLB too. It makes so many aspect of tv viewing just simpler and more enjoyable. :goofygrin :goofygrin

Well actually... I could care less either way.
If it comes... great, I'll probably use it a few times.
If it doesn't.... I am not going to lose sleep over it, as I have been without it for 18 months (R15), and still enjoy my TV viewing 100%.

My personal viewing pattern.... nearly everything is pre-recorded.
Only things that are not, is Football (and I really only care about the Bears), and background noise/viewing... (aka... nothing I am actively intrested in watching. if something does get intresting, I hit R)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

I love it -- a new DLB thread :beatdeadhorse: and one that Earl is actively arguing on! :bang :bang :bang

C'mon Earl -- you're giving (and taking) some pretty good shots. :uglyhamme :uglyhamme But, 'fess up. You really want DLB too. It makes so many aspect of tv viewing just simpler and more enjoyable. :goofygrin :goofygrin

I don't want it to be like Tivo. I don't want it as an "upgrade". I just want DLB so I can enjoy uncomplicated tv (and record when I want to, not because I have to just to keep up with two current shows -- yuck! :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: ).

In other words:
I WANT MY D - L - B !!!
:joy: :dance01: :joy: :dance01: :joy:

Definitely time to lock this thread. :)

Can we talk about Multi-Room Viewing instead? :confused:

#23 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

I agree. I want MRV. If we get DLB great but don't really care.

#24 OFFLINE   thepackfan

thepackfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:52 PM

Now that is a feature that would far out weight DLB.

Can we talk about Multi-Room Viewing instead? :confused:[/QUOTE]

#25 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

We can talk about MRV, but please not in this thread. We have lots ability to have many, many threads. :)

Thanks,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#26 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:55 PM

If...anyone thinks I am telling them to "shut up" about DLB...
Well then my apologize... as that is not the intent...

The answer is... what the answer is.
You all ask me to ask... and I do... and that is the answer.

They know that there is a user base that wants DLB...
They have not completely rulled out it being added to the system...
But it is also not an active feature under development....

-----------

I truely do understand that people want to actively watch two live programs.
I truely do understand that people want that to be in buffers and not record one or both of them.

I am not trying to tell you how to change the way you "want" to watch TV.... but maybe to a degree I am trying to help you see that there is another way, so you get the most out of the system today, tomorrow, and next week.

If your "want" for DLB overrides any other features that the HR20 gives you... well then your path is pretty much defined then.... as many people point out, you can only bank on the future looking for "so much".

-----------

So again... if anyone thinks I am belittling your want for DLB... think again.
If anyone thinks I am not asking, and providing you with the answers I am given.... think again.

You all have the right to want what ever you want out of the system....doesn't mean it is going to come... just ultimatly means there will be something with your system that you are not happy with.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#27 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:03 PM

IMHO DLB would be easy to implement in the software.

That does not mean doing it wouldn't be trouble free.

Easy to guess that the buffer size would have to:

a. Be cut in half to fit both buffers in the same space.
b. Or the software would have to repartition the drive, hmmm... All the complaints when everything is gone.
c. Use the space allocated to user storage. Hmmm. Where did my free space go? Why did something get deleted and so on.

Just a theory why they may be holding back.

They may also have allocated space for it and none of thos scenarios would apply.

As I say just throwing ideas out to see what sticks

Cheers

#28 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:07 PM

I'm curious about the technical point made by the OP: is it true that if you've been watching channel 1 at 10:50, switch to channel 2 at 10:51, select the program beginning on Ch 1 at 11:00 to record, and go back to ch. 1 at 11:05 you'll find a buffer that goes all the way back to 10:50? If so, then the buffer doesn't disappear when you leave a channel, but only when you change back to it without having recorded anything on it. That's definitely not the way I thought buffers behaved. I'll have to give it a try.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#29 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:09 PM

Obviously DLB is something many people care about and care about whole bunchies! (As do I.) Earl had a most excellent post once rebutting the "it's just TV" concept. His premise: "TV is our escape to other places..." DLB is for some of us our method of grabbing hold of that escape. In my case, especially during Football season where I do not use a DVR to record, I use it to enhance the live. I anchor one tuner on the Packers and on the other tuner surf the rest of the games that have an impact on the Packers. (Frequently division foes, like Da Bears...)

On the HR20, recording the anchor tuner does not improve my live experience, it makes it worse. If I ever catch up to Live and flip away from the anchor channel, I have to restart the whole bloody playback! Talk about work around--way, way around.

Or I could flip back to the Packer game at live by tuning to their channel--but then I lose any buffering I might want on the other game. Sure, I suppose I could surf by constantly changing what is recording on the non-Packer channel, but who wants to clean up and manage lots and lots of partial recordings? I thought the DVR was supposed to work for me? :)

Ah well, this will all work out someday.
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#30 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

If...anyone thinks I am telling them to "shut up" about DLB...
Well then my apologize... as that is not the intent...

The answer is... what the answer is.
You all ask me to ask... and I do... and that is the answer.

They know that there is a user base that wants DLB...
They have not completely rulled out it being added to the system...
But it is also not an active feature under development....

-----------

I truely do understand that people want to actively watch two live programs.
I truely do understand that people want that to be in buffers and not record one or both of them.

I am not trying to tell you how to change the way you "want" to watch TV.... but maybe to a degree I am trying to help you see that there is another way, so you get the most out of the system today, tomorrow, and next week.

If your "want" for DLB overrides any other features that the HR20 gives you... well then your path is pretty much defined then.... as many people point out, you can only bank on the future looking for "so much".

-----------

So again... if anyone thinks I am belittling your want for DLB... think again.
If anyone thinks I am not asking, and providing you with the answers I am given.... think again.

You all have the right to want what ever you want out of the system....doesn't mean it is going to come... just ultimatly means there will be something with your system that you are not happy with.

Nicely said, Earl.

#31 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

Wow, a DLB thread where neither Jaywdetroit or I have chimed in in favor of, what a pleasure....

and the exact purpose of this site is to Debate these issues, so to lock a thread such as this is illogical; it will die its own death with lack of interest....

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#32 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:36 PM

Who said that a DVR had to ONLY be used to watch programs hours after they aired or days later??? Last I checked, a DVR recorder is used to TIMESHIFT a program that is airing live. It doesn't matter if that timeshift is two months or 5 seconds. Its still a function of a DVR to record a 'live' stream and be able to play it at w/e time the user so chooses. TiVo opened many peoples eyes to having the ability to record two of those 'live' streams and timeshift them to whenever the user so chooses within that 30 minute buffer period.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and please understand that I'm not trying to be inflammatory at all here.

Can't we easily simulate what you describe above by simply hitting the record button once while on each of the two tuners you are interested in? Yes, it requires an extra click or two, but it seems to me to be more than an acceptable work-around if you really need to track the progress of two games, e.g.

Is there some other subtle advantage to dual buffers that I'm missing? Or is it just that it's "automatic" and doesn't require the extra click or two of the remote? Just my .02. :) /s
/steve

#33 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

Okay, I tried what I thought the OP was suggesting was possible and couldn't duplicate it on my machine. When I went back to the first channel the buffer only took me to the beginning of the program I was recording, not to the place in the show I had originally been watching before tuning to the second channel.

As for the real issue of this thread: the value of DLB. Personally, the only time I miss it is during football season when I used DLB to switch back and forth between games and if in switching back to a game I see that I just missed a great play I could rewind in the buffer to see what I missed. But, honestly, I was surprised at how little I missed it last season. It would be nice to have it, but I wonder how many people - especially outside Dbstalk - really used it much at all. I wonder if this is the real reason DTV hasn't put much emphasis on adding it.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#34 OFFLINE   tiger2005

tiger2005

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, and please understand that I'm not trying to be inflammatory at all here.

Can't we easily simulate what you describe above by simply hitting the record button once while on each of the two tuners you are interested in? Yes, it requires an extra click or two, but it seems to me to be more than an acceptable work-around if you really need to track the progress of two games, e.g.

Is there some other subtle advantage to dual buffers that I'm missing? Or is it just that it's "automatic" and doesn't require the extra click or two of the remote? Just my .02. :) /s

From post #18:

"I don't want to get into a debate over the differences between recording two programs at once and DLB, but there are problems with NOT having DLB. If my HDD has a limited amount of space left, I can't record that other program I want to 'buffer' without deleting some shows. This can occur VERY frequently especially because of how much space HD programming takes up. Also, I can't pause one recording and hit 'Live TV' or the down arrow to move to the other recording. I either have to go into the List and play the other 'buffer' to keep the pause point (VERY, VERY tedious) or hit the prev button and fast forward, rewind, etc. to the point I had been watching (again, tedious). You also have much more maintenance on the HDD with having to go into the List much more often to delete those 'buffered' programs once they end."

Those are just a few reasons why recording two shows at the same time doesn't / can't function in a similar manner to the DLB implemented by TiVo, Dish Network, etc.
Thanks for DLB!! Best feature available on a DVR, bar none!

#35 OFFLINE   MIJBFAN

MIJBFAN

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:37 PM

WOW what a change in this place! I found DBS in Oct 2006 when I got my HR20. I have lurked and learned ALOT! But when I first started learning here most posts were about how bad things were going for most people and how to fix it.
NOW it is changing over to what people would like their DVR to do.

It kinda tells me D* is doing something right but not everyone sees it.:confused:

#36 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

Okay, I tried what I thought the OP was suggesting was possible and couldn't duplicate it on my machine. When I went back to the first channel the buffer only took me to the beginning of the program I was recording, not to the place in the show I had originally been watching before tuning to the second channel.

As for the real issue of this thread: the value of DLB. Personally, the only time I miss it is during football season when I used DLB to switch back and forth between games and if in switching back to a game I see that I just missed a great play I could rewind in the buffer to see what I missed. But, honestly, I was surprised at how little I missed it last season. It would be nice to have it, but I wonder how many people - especially outside Dbstalk - really used it much at all. I wonder if this is the real reason DTV hasn't put much emphasis on adding it.

I thought so also but keep pushing rewind and it will change the color of the buffer of the buffer from green to red (or vise versa) and will continue past the beginning of the recording. Really it seems to me that all they have to do is NOT clear the buffer on when the channel is tuned to.

From a programming prospective, they clear the buffer and set it to the station because you could have changed from another station and clearing it when you start is just an easy way to make sure. All they need to do is add an "if" If buffer already active on channel then don't clear

I'll try to reproduce it a third time when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I am not off my rocker. I do have a X100 with the latest software if we are comparing apples to apples.

#37 OFFLINE   cuibap

cuibap

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:58 PM

If I can choose between the 2 features, Multi-room viewing is a no-brainer for me, even if DLB is no longer on the table.

MRV PLEASE!!!!

#38 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

If I can choose between the 2 features, Multi-room viewing is a no-brainer for me, even if DLB is no longer on the table.

MRV PLEASE!!!!

+1
Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireStick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.

#39 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:23 PM

[...]If my HDD has a limited amount of space left, I can't record that other program I want to 'buffer' without deleting some shows. This can occur VERY frequently especially because of how much space HD programming takes up.

If you're drive doesn't have enough space for two recordings, how will it have enough space for two buffers? The buffers are kept on the drive, AFAIK. Something has to give.

Also, I can't pause one recording and hit 'Live TV' or the down arrow to move to the other recording. I either have to go into the List and play the other 'buffer' to keep the pause point (VERY, VERY tedious) or hit the prev button and fast forward, rewind, etc. to the point I had been watching (again, tedious).

I just tuned to channel 72 and hit RECORD. I then tuned to channel 79 and hit RECORD. Now when I hit PREV, it has the same effect as hitting the down arrow on the HR10. It switches to the other buffer at the current point in time, just like on the HR10, IIRC. On the HR10, I remember having to RW to get back to the point I was at on the other tuner the last time I switched buffers.

And on the HR20, hitting RECORD again on either channel brings up a pop-up that offers me the option to stop the recording and delete the partial, something that was a multi-step, multi-screen process (and a real PITA) on the HR10.

Just my observations. /s
/steve

#40 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:19 PM

When the original could do it from day 1 (Tivo) AND it is such a major feature, all the knockoffs have no choice but to implement it or be considered "inferior".

For the record, TiVo did NOT have it from day 1. The first TiVo boxes that shipped with dual tuners had only one active tuner, and the second tuner was turned on after a software release.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...