Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR20, install and commitment

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wesmills

wesmills

Legend

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:52 AM

So, I'm living with my in-laws (your sympathy cards can be addressed to PO Box ....) and we both have DirecTV accounts. It appears that their account can get the HR20 for $199 including dish, install, etc, which is a price I'm willing to pay (unless I can help them convince DirecTV to give it to them for less :D ) when we get our shiny new TV.

Can they order the HR20, get the dish installed and the new receiver wired up, and then promptly drop both the HR20 and HD service from their account, so that I can add the formerly-theirs HR20 to my account (with HD)? I have not changed the address on my account because--here's the brutal honesty--my former address is in the boondocks, gets the distant nets grandfathered in, and I don't want to lose them. However, I also want HD and a HR20, so this might be a clever way to get both, including the dish installed.

Could this work, or am I going to have to figure out how to install the monstrosity of a dish myself and get a receiver off the big E?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sdmiller

sdmiller

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:27 AM

So, I'm living with my in-laws (your sympathy cards can be addressed to PO Box ....) and we both have DirecTV accounts. It appears that their account can get the HR20 for $199 including dish, install, etc, which is a price I'm willing to pay (unless I can help them convince DirecTV to give it to them for less :D ) when we get our shiny new TV.

Can they order the HR20, get the dish installed and the new receiver wired up, and then promptly drop both the HR20 and HD service from their account, so that I can add the formerly-theirs HR20 to my account (with HD)? I have not changed the address on my account because--here's the brutal honesty--my former address is in the boondocks, gets the distant nets grandfathered in, and I don't want to lose them. However, I also want HD and a HR20, so this might be a clever way to get both, including the dish installed.

Could this work, or am I going to have to figure out how to install the monstrosity of a dish myself and get a receiver off the big E?

I believe that part of the deal is, that your inlaws have to keep their HD programming for at least a year if they take part in the discount.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:02 AM

If they add it to their account, and then drop it, they will have to return it to DirecTV. There is no way they would be able to physically keep it once they deactivated it.

Also, they would get a two year programming committment on their account at the time of activation.

If you want HD and the HR20, and you can't have an installer out, you need to buy the HR20 and dish from an on-line resource such as Solidsignal, and do the install yourself.

Carl

#4 OFFLINE   wesmills

wesmills

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:29 PM

Well, the 2 year commitment isn't a problem for them, since they just got a DirecTV Plus DVR and their 2 years reset as of March. I guess I thought once equipment was deleted from an account, it only had to be returned at the end of the account (i.e. the subscriber could stash it in their closet until they wanted to use it again).

Oh well, it was just a thought. I suppose I should really ponder if having the distants is important enough to warrant paying for a dish, its installation, and the HR20.

#5 OFFLINE   surfbird

surfbird

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:26 PM

simple legal suggestion..

suspend your account for up to 9months & you will not lose the programming you already have.. but.. your services will START UP on the day the 9mo is up.. so u better know those exact dates & make sure.. the alt billing address is yours @ in laws so the notice can be sent to you before acct re-starts up.. 1 week notice will be sent to you..

as for add equipment & drop it.. sorry no can do.. the 2yr committment is a service commitment for the hd & hd programming. the only way it could be dropped was if the hd ird is considered owned..

Honestly, I would have a tech set this up unless u are feeling awful crafty.. this is a big, bad buster-oo.

I know guys on here has done it (pat on back to ya) but I know I wouldn't want to do it.. plus the install is included in the cost of ird UNLESS.. you have or request something a tech considers "custom" & they are to address this with you before install.. same in regards to where they plan on setting up.. You are suppose to know all of that before any lines are ran or holes drilled..

oh btw.. to get just that dish usually runs about $99 still on most sites, right? someone else here probably knows the most current price..

#6 OFFLINE   Rathmir

Rathmir

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:22 PM

If you get an h20 or hr20 installation is free with 2 year commitment, doesn't really matter where you get it from as long as it can be activated. (if from ebay etc. make sure the other person deactivates the receiver and you order an access card)

#7 OFFLINE   wesmills

wesmills

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:10 AM

Problem solved :) My in-laws want to try HD anyway, but don't want to spring for the HD DVR, so I set them up to have a non-DVR HD receiver installed. That gets me the dish I'm after, and they get to see if HD is right for them (namely if the picture will be better on their flat screen TV they won at bingo). If they don't like it or don't think it's worth the extra money, there's no problem with sending the box back and them reactivating their SD box. I will just get my HR20 from the a dealer on the big E.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...