Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Havind a dis installed on my roof and need help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cuvie

Cuvie

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

I currently have DirecTV digital service and have been trying to upgrade for 3 weeks to HD. I had one installer come out and tell me I had to remove two branches at the top of a tree to get a signal. I have practically removed the entire tree, all the branches are gone. I had a second installer come out and tell me that the tree I worked on is fine but two others are in the way. These two trees were not a problem for the first installer who came out. I have seen HD dishes in my town on roofs that have signifigantly worse lines of sight than mine. What should I do? I have the supervisor coming out today at 3pm to talk about it. I have heard they can extend the support arm a few feet or just angle the dish. I appreciate any suggestions, I really don't want to have to go to Comcast.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:19 AM

I also appear to have a crappy LOS but i get excellent signals on all Sats.

Is this on your roof or a pole? Is there another place on the roof that might be better? Who is the install company?

If they keep refusing to do it you coud just do it yourself

And welcome!

#3 OFFLINE   Cuvie

Cuvie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

It would be on my roof, The installer would put the dish near the top of the roof at the very side of the house. The trees are about 50 feet tall and 70 feet away. My roof is about 40 feet tall. I don't think they should have any problem with the install. I am just getting really frustrated and don't know which installer to believe.

#4 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

It would be on my roof, The installer would put the dish near the top of the roof at the very side of the house. The trees are about 50 feet tall and 70 feet away. My roof is about 40 feet tall. I don't think they should have any problem with the install. I am just getting really frustrated and don't know which installer to believe.

I wouldnt imagine there being an issue then. The actual angle to which the signal hits the dish is a good amount higher then the LNB arm itself

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

In N.H. you have a low look angle so trees can easily be a problem. Seeing you haven't given information on who is giving you information about blocked line of sight and we can't see your site all I can say is try another company. You will look at 5 satellites 99-119 119 is approximately 22 deg elev and 250 deg az. 101 is 33deg elev and 233 az. all will be low and to the west so good luck.

#6 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:41 PM

If the trees are only about 10' higher than the roof, and are 70' away, they wouldn't block anything higher than a 10° angle.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#7 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

Keep in mind the sats your dish is looking at are higher than the elevation your dish appears to look. You should be fine in regards to the trees.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

Protected By... spam firewall...And...