Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Best" Multiswitch setup?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Darknight

Darknight

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

Greetings!
Long time listener, first time caller. I've been searching around for the answer to my question, and I'm sure it's been discussed before - but I can't seem to find it. I apologize for the noob questions.

First, the setup:
I have a new construction prewired house with 8 RG6 drops coming down from the attic / dish into the "distribution center" in my basement. I have 20 RG6 runs to 10 different locations for future twin tuner setups.

Now the question(s):
What would be the best multiswitch setup for this configuration? a Zinwell WB616 feeding WB68's? Some big dollar Spaun monster? Something completely different?

Generally speaking, what is considered best practices as far as "punching down" coax systems? I come from the data world, and I'm used to bringing the home runs back to the DC and punching them down and then running patch cables to the switch/router/hub. Should I just crimp on some cable ends and run them to the multiswitches, or is there a better/cleaner way?

Thanks!

DK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:38 PM

The only multi-switch's that will work with the new MPEG4 HD channels are the WB616 and WB68. If I am correct and if I am not someone please correct me. I would do a WB616 and a WB68 with 4 power passing splitters splitting the 4 lines from the dish to the multi-switch's.

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

BTW :welcome_s to DBStalk

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:44 PM

The only multi-switch's that will work with the new MPEG4 HD channels are the WB616 and WB68. If I am correct and if I am not someone please correct me. I would do a WB616 and a WB68 with 4 power passing splitters splitting the 4 lines from the dish to the multi-switch's.

Spaun also has some compatible multiswitches (12 and 16 port), but they are much more expensive.

#5 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:16 PM

Greetings!
Long time listener, first time caller. I've been searching around for the answer to my question, and I'm sure it's been discussed before - but I can't seem to find it. I apologize for the noob questions.

First, the setup:
I have a new construction prewired house with 8 RG6 drops coming down from the attic / dish into the "distribution center" in my basement. I have 20 RG6 runs to 10 different locations for future twin tuner setups.

Now the question(s):
What would be the best multiswitch setup for this configuration? a Zinwell WB616 feeding WB68's? Some big dollar Spaun monster? Something completely different?

Generally speaking, what is considered best practices as far as "punching down" coax systems? I come from the data world, and I'm used to bringing the home runs back to the DC and punching them down and then running patch cables to the switch/router/hub. Should I just crimp on some cable ends and run them to the multiswitches, or is there a better/cleaner way?

Thanks!

DK

Question back at you.

How many of those 20 runs to the various rooms are going to be be used?

If 16-20, then I'd go with 2 6x16s, with 4 power passing splitters feeding them. I'd put 10 lines on each.

9-16, just a 6x16. You see how this is going.

If you don't mind a few bucks, stick with the 2 6x16s.

Bottom line, really going to depend on what and how you are going to utilize those drops.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

Also, not just how many will be used, but how many will be used in the near term? For example, if you only expect to make 4 rooms hot to start with, and maybe add more next year sometime, I would only get enough multiswitch for the current need. By the time you expand, new technology should be available, and you would probably want to migrate to that.

Carl

#7 OFFLINE   Darknight

Darknight

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:58 PM

Also, not just how many will be used, but how many will be used in the near term? For example, if you only expect to make 4 rooms hot to start with, and maybe add more next year sometime, I would only get enough multiswitch for the current need. By the time you expand, new technology should be available, and you would probably want to migrate to that.

Carl

Hmm, good question. We’ll probably have about half hot within the near future.

Good point that we can always add another multiswitch later, I honestly hadn’t thought of that. Like I said in my original post; I’m used to “punching down” everything so it’s cleaner. I guess I’ll just go with the one 6x16 and label/tie off the rest for now.

Follow up question, a “power passing splitter”? The google suggests something like one of these? vvv.gocna.com/en-us/dept_237.html (replace v’s with w’s)
Which one would be appropriate for this scenario?

Also, at this point we have some older DirecTivo’s; will the HD dish and these multiswitches still work with the older hardware until we upgrade?

Thanks for all the suggestions, and sorry again for the noobitude.

DK

#8 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:02 PM

Hmm, good question. We’ll probably have about half hot within the near future.

Good point that we can always add another multiswitch later, I honestly hadn’t thought of that. Like I said in my original post; I’m used to “punching down” everything so it’s cleaner. I guess I’ll just go with the one 6x16 and label/tie off the rest for now.

Follow up question, a “power passing splitter”? The google suggests something like one of these? vvv.gocna.com/en-us/dept_237.html (replace v’s with w’s)
Which one would be appropriate for this scenario?

Also, at this point we have some older DirecTivo’s; will the HD dish and these multiswitches still work with the older hardware until we upgrade?

Thanks for all the suggestions, and sorry again for the noobitude.

DK

more like one of these:
http://www.2000netwo...150-2ap-gx.html

you need up to 2150 mHz

And yes your older receivers work fine with the new dish.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

I guess I’ll just go with the one 6x16 and label/tie off the rest for now.

Follow up question, a “power passing splitter”?

DK,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

If you are going to go with the WB616, you shouldn't need the power passing splitter. Also, the WB616 is a powered multi-switch, the WB68 is not. If you're just going to be using up to 16 tuners for now, you should be fine with just the WB616.

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

After checking the price of the WB616 you might want to go with the WB68 and upgrade later this year to the SWM when it becomes available.

#11 OFFLINE   Darknight

Darknight

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice!

DK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...