Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can the HR20 OTA Tuner Be Improved Through Software Upgrades?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
182 replies to this topic

Poll: Can the HR20 OTA Tuner Be Improved Through Software Upgrades? (161 member(s) have cast votes)

Can the HR20 OTA Tuner Be Improved Through Software Upgrades?

1. Yes (50 votes [31.06%])

Percentage of vote: 31.06%

2. No (37 votes [22.98%])

Percentage of vote: 22.98%

3. Not Sure (74 votes [45.96%])

Percentage of vote: 45.96%

Vote

#101 OFFLINE   eddy13

eddy13

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:27 PM

Ok I have my old tivo which is the hughes hd tivo I bought it like 2 yrs ago.. Now with that tivo I would scan ota locals and set season pass on all my fav shows that i saw in the guide.. are u telling me that I will not be able to scan for ota locals with my new hr20-700 and I will not receive a guide with shows information that i can set certain shows for season pass.. I will always prefer local ota rec over direct tv locals in hd due to the quality... a. can i scan for ota locals if not then how do i get the ota locals show up and b.. will i see a guide info on all shows for my ota locals where i can set for season pass.. also has anyone compared the ota signal tuner from the hr 20-700 to the hd hughes tivo.. is the tuner about the same...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:44 PM

Ok I have my old tivo which is the hughes hd tivo I bought it like 2 yrs ago.. Now with that tivo I would scan ota locals and set season pass on all my fav shows that i saw in the guide.. are u telling me that I will not be able to scan for ota locals with my new hr20-700 and I will not receive a guide with shows information that i can set certain shows for season pass.. I will always prefer local ota rec over direct tv locals in hd due to the quality... a. can i scan for ota locals if not then how do i get the ota locals show up and b.. will i see a guide info on all shows for my ota locals where i can set for season pass.. also has anyone compared the ota signal tuner from the hr 20-700 to the hd hughes tivo.. is the tuner about the same...

No scan for channels in the HR20. The D* database determines which OTA stations you get. If it's right, your good. If it's wrong your SOL until they fix it. I've been waiting 6 months for 3 corrections.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#103 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,921 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:51 PM

Let's try it again:
You can setup your OTA channels with the HR-20 & they will show up in the guide with the info.
Now what is different is: instead of looking for the RF signals to see if there is a channel coming through your antenna, the HR-20 will read from the D* database using your Zip code. If there is a station you can get, but it isn't in the D* database, it won't show up in your guide & you can't tune to it. So you can't get it [though it is there coming in on your antenna].
If there is an error in the D* database, this will also cause you not to get a station.
"Other" receivers will scan for the channels and then compare what it finds to the D* database & if it doesn't match, will show the station and also in the guide will list it as "regular programing". The HR-20 will not.
A.K.A VOS

#104 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

Very Old School,

How much better is the tuner in your H20-100 vs. your HR20-700.

#105 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,921 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:16 PM

Very Old School,
How much better is the tuner in your H20-100 vs. your HR20-700.

"To me" they are the same [but it scans for signals].
It's the -600 that has the "great" OTA tuner.
A.K.A VOS

#106 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:29 PM

"To me" they are the same [but it scans for signals].
It's the -600 that has the "great" OTA tuner.

I meant to ask vs. the H20-600.

#107 OFFLINE   eddy13

eddy13

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

ok do u guys know if the hr 20 700 would it ever scan for ota with software updates.. also does anyone here have the hr 20 with the miami guide what locals would i get...

#108 OFFLINE   eddy13

eddy13

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

ok let me get this right... my local ota channels are predetermined by the tribune.. so are u saying that if i setthe hr20 on season pass for a local ota channel program to record all season will it have any interruptions.. with my old hd tivo i never missed a single recording through season pass through ota as the signal was never lost or the guide was never misinformed... so is it safe to season pass all of my favorite ota programs with the hr20 ota tuner...

#109 OFFLINE   eddy13

eddy13

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:47 PM

k so if my channels are there in the tribune does that mean that i will be able to record on a season pass my programs on that channel just like i did with my old hd tivo and never miss a recording.. im beginning to think that it might be a mistake to let go of my hughes hd tivo which scanned for all my ota channels..

#110 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:24 PM

k so if my channels are there in the tribune does that mean that i will be able to record on a season pass my programs on that channel just like i did with my old hd tivo and never miss a recording.. im beginning to think that it might be a mistake to let go of my hughes hd tivo which scanned for all my ota channels..

I beleive you should be able to set up a season pass using this system but if the channel is not on Tribune but if it is not then you are SOL.

#111 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:29 AM

ok let me get this right... my local ota channels are predetermined by the tribune.. so are u saying that if i setthe hr20 on season pass for a local ota channel program to record all season will it have any interruptions.. with my old hd tivo i never missed a single recording through season pass through ota as the signal was never lost or the guide was never misinformed... so is it safe to season pass all of my favorite ota programs with the hr20 ota tuner...

I've been doing it for months and it works very well. If there are errors in the guide data stream (for example whether or not a show is a repeat or not), then you will get some additional programs recorded that shouldn't be.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#112 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:31 AM

ok do u guys know if the hr 20 700 would it ever scan for ota with software updates.. also does anyone here have the hr 20 with the miami guide what locals would i get...

It could scan ota channels if they turned the feature on or re-worked the code. That code was in the HR20 when they were testing it internally, and the manual for the HR20 says it scans for channels.

The problem is the feature when tested internally caused some terrible problems and they shut it down.

Whether it ever gets turned on again, no one is talking. I sure wish they would turn it back on.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#113 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

It could scan ota channels if they turned the feature on or re-worked the code. That code was in the HR20 when they were testing it internally, and the manual for the HR20 says it scans for channels.

The problem is the feature when tested internally caused some terrible problems and they shut it down.

Whether it ever gets turned on again, no one is talking. I sure wish they would turn it back on.

Can Earl or someone with their ear close to the track let us know if DirecTv is working on this problem. The OTA scan is obviously a software problem.

#114 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:38 PM

Testing 1,2,3

#115 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,921 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

bump
A.K.A VOS

#116 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

Very Old School -

I will see your bump and raise you one bump.

#117 OFFLINE   eddy13

eddy13

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

my hr 20 is having prob locking up my channel 4,6,7 and 10.. I get signal readings in the 85 to 90 range but get frequent drop outs.. I think it may be a multipath prob since my hr10-250 hd tivo in the sam spot locks up all signals without signal drops...
can amps or powered dist switches help out with multipath prob
I will see your bump and raise you one bump.[/QUOTE]

#118 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,921 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

my hr 20 is having prob locking up my channel 4,6,7 and 10.. I get signal readings in the 85 to 90 range but get frequent drop outs.. I think it may be a multipath prob since my hr10-250 hd tivo in the sam spot locks up all signals without signal drops...

You already have a thread where you're asking the questions/problems for help.
Please don't double post in multiple threads. It just make everything harder to give help, & read all of your information.
"We read them all".
A.K.A VOS

#119 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:43 PM

[quote name='eddy13']my hr 20 is having prob locking up my channel 4,6,7 and 10.. I get signal readings in the 85 to 90 range but get frequent drop outs.. I think it may be a multi path prob since my hr10-250 hd tivo in the sam spot locks up all signals without signal drops...
can amps or powered dist switches help out with multi path prob
I will see your bump and raise you one bump.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

The problem handling multi path is one of the major complaints regarding the HR20OTA tuners. I am hoping that the multi path problem and others problems can be helped through software upgrades. I wish I had some good advise for you. I do not think that a power amp will help with a multi path problem but I may be wrong. Good luck.

#120 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:29 PM

Eddy,

I recommend everyone take their OTA questions to their local DMA thread over at AVSForum.com. The folks there know the specifics or the locals you receive, their frequencies, possible multipath problems and other known problems. The folks here at DBSTalk don't.

For Miami check out: http://www.avsforum....73#post10805373

If you don't know the specific thread for your location/DMA check the master list at: http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=453241

SAT issues can be addressed here just fine, but the AVSForum.com local threads have engineers from the local stations answering questions openly and not through super secret sources.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...