Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can the HR20 OTA Tuner Be Improved Through Software Upgrades?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
182 replies to this topic

Poll: Can the HR20 OTA Tuner Be Improved Through Software Upgrades? (161 member(s) have cast votes)

Can the HR20 OTA Tuner Be Improved Through Software Upgrades?

1. Yes (50 votes [31.06%])

Percentage of vote: 31.06%

2. No (37 votes [22.98%])

Percentage of vote: 22.98%

3. Not Sure (74 votes [45.96%])

Percentage of vote: 45.96%

Vote

#121 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:52 PM

Eddy,

I recommend everyone take their OTA questions to their local DMA thread over at AVSForum.com. The folks there know the specifics or the locals you receive, their frequencies, possible multipath problems and other known problems. The folks here at DBSTalk don't.

For Miami check out: http://www.avsforum....73#post10805373

If you don't know the specific thread for your location/DMA check the master list at: http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=453241

SAT issues can be addressed here just fine, but the AVSForum.com local threads have engineers from the local stations answering questions openly and not through super secret sources.

That is a very good suggestion but please continue to post here. The only way we can get DirecTv's attention is to let our voices be heard.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:08 PM

I added extra zip codes to pick up channels out of my DMA.
my setup here

#123 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:52 AM

For what it's worth...since the new GUI update, my 'signal levels' for my OTA channels have increased by 10 on all channels.

#124 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:16 PM

For what it's worth...since the new GUI update, my 'signal levels' for my OTA channels have increased by 10 on all channels.

Has anyone else experienced this and are you using an HR20-700 or HR20-100.

#125 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:07 PM

Has anyone else experienced this and are you using an HR20-700 or HR20-100.

There are posting like this that come after every update, either higher or lower "numbers", but there are more variables than most keep track of that would account for it & it isn't "wide spread" across the user base.
A.K.A VOS

#126 OFFLINE   David Carmichael

David Carmichael

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

}Cross Post{
Software upgraded in May'07 fixed my single digit HD DIGITAL signal troubles...
Software June'07 reintroduced the single digit troubles...!!
System keeps trying to move my local channel 3-1 and 8-1 to either wrong call sign or will not tune in these channels at all!! {Again}

#127 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:37 PM

Did the new CE impact the OTA tuners?

#128 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:31 AM

Did the new CE impact the OTA tuners?

No, nor was they any mention of it in the release notes.

Same missing channels, mis-mapped channels, wrong guide info that has been in evidence here for nearly 5 months.

All else OTA continues to work just fine.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#129 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

No, nor was they any mention of it in the release notes.

Same missing channels, mis-mapped channels, wrong guide info that has been in evidence here for nearly 5 months.

All else OTA continues to work just fine.

Everything that you just mentioned is software related. I hope this becomes a priority with DirecTv soon.

#130 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

Everything that you just mentioned is software related. I hope this becomes a priority with DirecTv soon.

None of which is software in the HR-20, but all in the D* database.
A.K.A VOS

#131 OFFLINE   David Carmichael

David Carmichael

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

}Cross Post{
Software upgraded in May'07 fixed my single digit HD DIGITAL signal troubles...
Software June'07 reintroduced the single digit troubles...!!
System keeps trying to move my local channel 3-1 and 8-1 to either wrong call sign or will not tune in these channels at all!! {Again}

Well I have been 'resetting/rebooting' twice a day since the software upgrade..
And tonight the tuner/channel map mapped the single digit DTV channels correctly...

So now 3-1 & 8-1 are tuning in correctly....

--David

#132 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

Done of which is software in the HR-20, but all in the D* database.

Which = software doesn't it? It's not a change in the chip set is it? It's not a change that requires a recall of the unit, correct? OS, guide data or data data still = software ware. Correct?

#133 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

Which = software doesn't it? It's not a change in the chip set is it? It's not a change that requires a recall of the unit, correct? OS, guide data or data data still = software ware. Correct?

While "related" to the HR-20, those "changes" would NOT be in the software IN the HR-20.
To try to put another way: if a web page is changed, it will look different to you from your computer, but it isn't anything in your computer that caused the change.
A.K.A VOS

#134 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:47 PM

While "related" to the HR-20, those "changes" would NOT be in the software IN the HR-20.
To try to put another way: if a web page is changed, it will look different to you from your computer, but it isn't anything in your computer that caused the change.

Correct. But it the OTA HD reception of the HR20 can be improved without hardware changes (software/firmware or guide data) doesn't that fit the OPs original question? Basically can the OTA tuner be improved upon without getting a new box.

#135 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

Basically can the OTA tuner be improved upon without getting a new box.

Well if you can give more details to this, it would be the answer to the OP's question, that NOBODY has yet given.
So what do you know? :)

Software improvements to date:
1) OTA was activated four months after the HR-20 was released.
2) Low band VHF was activated another five months later.
3)?
A.K.A VOS

#136 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:55 PM

Well if you can give more details to this, it would be the answer to the OP's question, that NOBODY has yet given.
So what do you know? :)

Software improvements to date:
1) OTA was activated four months after the HR-20 was released.
2) Low band VHF was activated another five months later.
3)?

But hasn't that question already been answered? Lo VHF channels didn't work earlier but work now. So I would guess the answer is YES.

One doesn't need to know how asprin relives a headache to know it works, does one? You take an asprin, your headache goes away. In this case you get a new software release and you get HD channels you couldn't get before. DUH!

Asprin makes headaches go away and software makes the OTA HD tuner work better. So I'll give the answer from my little mind.

YES. ;)

#137 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:47 AM

I'll give the answer from my little mind.

I will agree with you on that much.
Those were the two improvements made. Since these were "defects" in the software, as I posted, these were improvements.
Now to the OP's question [not what has been done] what can be improved with more software is the question?
Except for some very silly "semantics", I don't see any point you're making to the OP's question: Can the HR-20 OTA tuner be improved through software?
"Can" is in reference to the future and not the past as in "has".
The HR-20 OTA tuner is in reference to the unit.
"Improved" would mean from how it is currently working.

Now does this make it clearer for you to understand the topic?
A.K.A VOS

#138 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:30 AM

But hasn't that question already been answered? Lo VHF channels didn't work earlier but work now. So I would guess the answer is YES.

One doesn't need to know how asprin relives a headache to know it works, does one? You take an asprin, your headache goes away. In this case you get a new software release and you get HD channels you couldn't get before. DUH!

Asprin makes headaches go away and software makes the OTA HD tuner work better. So I'll give the answer from my little mind.

YES. ;)

You seem to be missing a critical point that others have tried to explain, but for some reason their explanations are getting lost in the discussion.

The main complaints about the HR20 OTA tuner involve the actual tuner performance, i.e. sensitivity, selectivity, dynamic range and performance in the face of multi-path. The question the OP asked has to be considered in those terms, not whether they screwed up the code and somehow didn't have low-VHF working, or did not have OTA turned on at all. Yes, turning it on is an improvement, yes fixing the missing low-VHF channels is an "improvement" Is this what the OP meant? If so, it was a very poor question, whose answer is meaningless. Of course turning on OTA improves OTA. Of course enabling an entire set of frequencies that were missing "improves" OTA. What a silly question! The real question is now that we have OTA, now that low-VHF has been enabled CAN the HR20 tuner performance be improved ...see my answer below.

There is VERY LITTLE that they can do with the HR20 OTA tuner to affect sensitivity, selectivity, dynamic range and multi-path immunity. Those parameters are pretty much "set" by the choice of the tuner chipset. They might be able to do a little "tweaking" here or there....but no one posting here has a clue as to what tweaking could be done, unless they are an RF engineer familiar with the chipset (and its implementation), or are part of the D* design team.

The question by the OP called for nothing but SPECULATION about D* improving the HR20 OTA tuners. It used the word "CAN" ....no one knows. Those of us familiar with RF design issues have said that the chipset is the dominant factor in how the tuner is going to perform.

I don't know what more to say.

As I said earlier in the thread, the important question is SHOULD it be improved...in other words, is it lacking? The answer to that is an unequivocal YES.

If the OP's original intention was to ask if the hardware limitations of the HR20 OTA tuner chipset precluded improved tuner performance via software tweaks, then the answer is probably only a very little, and NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE, without the technical competence to address the question.

The fact is, as consumers, we don't need to know the answer to that question. If the tuner's performance doesn't meet our needs, we need to hold D*'s feet to the fire to improve it, however they can. They may reply..."this is all it can do", and in that case, the answer to the initial question is NO.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#139 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

You seem to be missing a critical point that others have tried to explain, but for some reason their explanations are getting lost in the discussion.

The main complaints about the HR20 OTA tuner involve the actual tuner performance, i.e. sensitivity, selectivity, dynamic range and performance in the face of multi-path. The question the OP asked has to be considered in those terms, not whether they screwed up the code and somehow didn't have low-VHF working, or did not have OTA turned on at all. Yes, turning it on is an improvement, yes fixing the missing low-VHF channels is an "improvement" Is this what the OP meant? If so, it was a very poor question, whose answer is meaningless. Of course turning on OTA improves OTA. Of course enabling an entire set of frequencies that were missing "improves" OTA. What a silly question! The real question is now that we have OTA, now that low-VHF has been enabled CAN the HR20 tuner performance be improved ...see my answer below.

There is VERY LITTLE that they can do with the HR20 OTA tuner to affect sensitivity, selectivity, dynamic range and multi-path immunity. Those parameters are pretty much "set" by the choice of the tuner chipset. They might be able to do a little "tweaking" here or there....but no one posting here has a clue as to what tweaking could be done, unless they are an RF engineer familiar with the chipset (and its implementation), or are part of the D* design team.

The question by the OP called for nothing but SPECULATION about D* improving the HR20 OTA tuners. It used the word "CAN" ....no one knows. Those of us familiar with RF design issues have said that the chipset is the dominant factor in how the tuner is going to perform.

I don't know what more to say.

As I said earlier in the thread, the important question is SHOULD it be improved...in other words, is it lacking? The answer to that is an unequivocal YES.

If the OP's original intention was to ask if the hardware limitations of the HR20 OTA tuner chipset precluded improved tuner performance via software tweaks, then the answer is probably only a very little, and NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE, without the technical competence to address the question.

The fact is, as consumers, we don't need to know the answer to that question. If the tuner's performance doesn't meet our needs, we need to hold D*'s feet to the fire to improve it, however they can. They may reply..."this is all it can do", and in that case, the answer to the initial question is NO.

If DirecTv would give us an answer then I would not feel compelled to start a thread or a poll. One of the purposes of this poll is to hold DirecTv's feet to the fire. DirecTv uses this thread to get input from us so they can improve their products. If something is not a concern to us then it is not a concern to them. DirecTv can you hear us now.

#140 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

+1 [bump]
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...