Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can the HR20 OTA Tuner Be Improved Through Software Upgrades?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
182 replies to this topic

Poll: Can the HR20 OTA Tuner Be Improved Through Software Upgrades? (161 member(s) have cast votes)

Can the HR20 OTA Tuner Be Improved Through Software Upgrades?

1. Yes (50 votes [31.06%])

Percentage of vote: 31.06%

2. No (37 votes [22.98%])

Percentage of vote: 22.98%

3. Not Sure (74 votes [45.96%])

Percentage of vote: 45.96%

Vote

#141 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:32 AM

+1 [bump]

I will see your bump and raise you one bump.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:07 AM

Does the sensitivity of the tuner on the HR20 fluctuate depending on the frequency being tuned?

#143 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:32 AM

Does the sensitivity of the tuner on the HR20 fluctuate depending on the frequency being tuned?

From the "chip level" I'd say no, but from the cable to the antenna the signal will. It's just the nature of cable and antennas.
A.K.A VOS

#144 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:31 PM

Did the new CE improve the OTA tuner performance?

#145 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:39 AM

Did the new CE improve the OTA tuner performance?

No

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#146 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

No

Hopefully, the next CE will bring good news.

#147 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

Hopefully, the next CE will bring good news.

keep dreaming
A.K.A VOS

#148 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

keep dreaming

Dreams are what gives us hope.

#149 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

There is a new CE planned for release on 6/6 and 6/7. Hopefully, Directv will improve the OTA tuners.

#150 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:40 PM

I believe the new CE made my OTA reception worst. Is anyone else experiencing this?

#151 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:58 PM

I believe the new CE made my OTA reception worst. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Nothing has changed with the OTA tuners since they were enabled in December '06, except the fact that the VHF-Low channels were turned on.

My reception has been a bit worse than average the last few days, but its to due to atmospheric and topographic effects. My signals can fluctuate as much as 10%-20% with timescales of days. Nothing to do with any software release.

Hasan, or anyone else care to confirm?

Geaux tigers, I am not trying to bash your thread, I really hope there is some tweaking that D* can do to improve the OTA reception, as some of my channels are on the ragged edge. (Yes, channels that come in fine with my HDTV's tuner, so I understand your frustration). But, a drop in signal strength for a few days most likely isn't related to software.

#152 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

Nothing has changed with the OTA tuners since they were enabled in December '06, except the fact that the VHF-Low channels were turned on.

My reception has been a bit worse than average the last few days, but its to due to atmospheric and topographic effects. My signals can fluctuate as much as 10%-20% with timescales of days. Nothing to do with any software release.

Hasan, or anyone else care to confirm?

Geaux tigers, I am not trying to bash your thread, I really hope there is some tweaking that D* can do to improve the OTA reception, as some of my channels are on the ragged edge. (Yes, channels that come in fine with my HDTV's tuner, so I understand your frustration). But, a drop in signal strength for a few days most likely isn't related to software.

I agree with you on this. I don't believe there has been any change in the performance of OTA on the HR20 (except for the VHF-lo issue, and getting some of the station mapping errors fixed), and I don't believe there will be. It won't get better and it won't get worse. The performance of the HR20 on OTA is almost totally determined by the tuner chip, and unless the tuner chip changes (and it may do, if DirecTV gets another manufacturer like LG to build the HR20) the performance won't change.

#153 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

I agree with you on this. I don't believe there has been any change in the performance of OTA on the HR20 (except for the VHF-lo issue, and getting some of the station mapping errors fixed), and I don't believe there will be. It won't get better and it won't get worse. The performance of the HR20 on OTA is almost totally determined by the tuner chip, and unless the tuner chip changes (and it may do, if DirecTV gets another manufacturer like LG to build the HR20) the performance won't change.

+1
I've been posting this since #24
A.K.A VOS

#154 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:37 AM

I did some tests on this, leaving on of my HR20's on the last CE, and one on the latest, and comparing OTA reception. They were the same.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#155 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:39 AM

I have noticed one channel is showing up now that didn't work at the start, but did on my H20--but that could be the station being stronger, so I can't say for certain. But the tuner isn't bad, and I think if there's danger they could make it worse, they shouldn't touch it. ;)
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#156 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

+1
I've been posting this since #24

I know, and some people still don't believe it. Here and in the CE forum you keep seeing posts that "the latest CE ruined my OTA reception" or "my OTA seems better with this release".

#157 OFFLINE   DblD_Indy

DblD_Indy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:57 AM

Had to vote yes, everything including OTA has improved with each update. The Real question is when to they hit the wall on what OTA improvements they can make.
DblD_Indy "Save DLB, Save the World"

DirecTV Ka/Ku 5 LNB Satellite Dish
Zinwell WB68
AR HDMI 12' Model AP086
DVR2 / R10 / HR20-700
Hitachi 65F59 Software Version # Main V0001.3000
Toys
Xbox 360 / Wii
Creative Zen Vision:M
T-Mobile G1

:nono2: "Without TV, it is hard to know when one day ends and another begins". - Homer J.

#158 OFFLINE   Bob_T

Bob_T

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:36 AM

I am on my fourth HR20-700. The last 3 are refurbs, and the last one ( a few days ago) has a 700CR model number. All the others were 700/700Rs.

I have made a bunch of posts about being unable to receive either 8-1 or 13-1 (NBC/Fox) after some of the recent CEs/National releases.

My OTA tuners originally showed 95+ for tuner 2 on both channels, and over 50% on tuner 1. After the updates, tuner 1 no longer locked onto signals for these channels on my first refurb (the original new HR20 was DOA!).

The second refurb was able to get the signals at 98+ on both tuners, ( using )x168?). and, I could see both channels again (as well as all the other locals in Tampa from the Riverview area). However, it had other problems (lockups, repeated spontaneous reboots).

The most recent HR20 refurb has been getting similar signals to the second one, and. so far, seems to be doing it's things just fine? This was on ver. 168, and, the CE this Friday. The original software on this unit was 0xbe. It was built in Dec., 2006?

Talks with tech support repeatedly resulted in asking me to wait for a "software" fix which they said was coming. Finally, they gave in. and, demanded I get a housecall. The tech said it was a hardware problem.

Seems to me that the tuners in my last 2 refurbs were/are better than the second one, and that my problem indeed was a hardware problem. I would guess that the change in reception noted after software changes was coincidental to increasing tuner problems?

I would be interested in opinions from forum members on this.;)
1. HR20-700-> (HDMI-> Samsung 5088 in media room with large "bowtie antenna in attic for OTA
2. H20-600->HDMI->Samsung 3251 in master BR, D* bowtie on roof for OTA
3. 5-LNB dish
4. Modulator from HR20->RCA cables to send DVD & D* to kitchen and other BR via cat5 wiring in house.

#159 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:49 AM

I am on my fourth HR20-700. The last 3 are refurbs, and the last one ( a few days ago) has a 700CR model number. All the others were 700/700Rs.

I have made a bunch of posts about being unable to receive either 8-1 or 13-1 (NBC/Fox) after some of the recent CEs/National releases.

My OTA tuners originally showed 95+ for tuner 2 on both channels, and over 50% on tuner 1. After the updates, tuner 1 no longer locked onto signals for these channels on my first refurb (the original new HR20 was DOA!).

The second refurb was able to get the signals at 98+ on both tuners, ( using )x168?). and, I could see both channels again (as well as all the other locals in Tampa from the Riverview area). However, it had other problems (lockups, repeated spontaneous reboots).

The most recent HR20 refurb has been getting similar signals to the second one, and. so far, seems to be doing it's things just fine? This was on ver. 168, and, the CE this Friday. The original software on this unit was 0xbe. It was built in Dec., 2006?

Talks with tech support repeatedly resulted in asking me to wait for a "software" fix which they said was coming. Finally, they gave in. and, demanded I get a housecall. The tech said it was a hardware problem.

Seems to me that the tuners in my last 2 refurbs were/are better than the second one, and that my problem indeed was a hardware problem. I would guess that the change in reception noted after software changes was coincidental to increasing tuner problems?

I would be interested in opinions from forum members on this.;)

Where are you reading the "700CR model number. All the others were 700/700Rs"?
The only hardware build is HR20-700S.
"R's or "CR"s sound like they're refurbs.
I still believe any changes in OTA are from: changes in the transmitted signal, or the
rebooting of the recorder causing it to re-detect the tuners.
The bit error percentages are at the chip level and not effected by the software. IMO
A.K.A VOS

#160 OFFLINE   Bob_T

Bob_T

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:37 PM

VOS- in my post, I said that my first HR20 was new and all the others including the last one (-700CR) were refurbs. The new one was -700. Next came a -700R, then a -700C. All these were off the box they came in. On the current set, the label is -700, without an "S", and, a little added sticker that it is a refurb.
1. HR20-700-> (HDMI-> Samsung 5088 in media room with large "bowtie antenna in attic for OTA
2. H20-600->HDMI->Samsung 3251 in master BR, D* bowtie on roof for OTA
3. 5-LNB dish
4. Modulator from HR20->RCA cables to send DVD & D* to kitchen and other BR via cat5 wiring in house.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...