Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

God help me...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 04:14 PM

And you thought YOUR cable company was bad.

On Nov. 22 I recieved an e-mail from Cablevision announcing the long-awaited release of their high speed internet service, Optimum Online, in my area. I ordered it later that day (not to mention the hassles I got from the CSR when trying to get the promotions mentioned on their website, optimumonline.com...that's a WHOLE different story) and I was scheduled for an installation date of Wednesday, Nov. 27 at 1-4pm. I cancelled some plans for heading upstate for Thanksgiving that night so that I could test out the cable service before heading up there. The technician shows up at 3:59pm, just as I was about to call Cablevision to report a no-show. The guy drills holes, does the wiring, etc. etc. etc., and then plugs the modem only to find out the service hasn't been activated on my street yet (keep in mind that the website and the CSR all told me that it is available on my street). He tells me that he's seen this problem recently on nearby streets and that a technician will come around in the next "few days" to activate the service on my street. I said OK and signed the contract (he wrote down on the contract that the modem wasn't locking). I waited patiently until last Friday, the 6th, for them to come around and activate the service. The service wasn't turned on by then so I called Cablevision to ask what the hell is going on. The CSR tells me that I shouldn't have let the technician leave my house without activating the service. He also assures me that I'm not getting billed for the service while it's not working (hard to believe that). The CSR sets me up another appointment with a technician for yesterday (Dec. 8) at 8am-6pm (geez, why don't you just say December-March?!). This time the CSR tells me that the technician will activate the service from the street. So the technician shows up that day 9am when I'm still sleeping. My brother answers the door and the technician tells him that "Optimum Online is not available on your street yet and it won't be available for another few days". No s**t, sherlock. :flaiming

I don't know why I got mixed up with this cable company again, but it's the only thing around. No DSL, no Earthlink, satellite internet's price is not even reasonable, and 56K is awful. Could they be screwing me over because I'm not a cable TV subscriber? Was signing that contract a bad move? Somebody pleeeeeease help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 04:24 PM

No, the cable company is screwing themselves over by not knowing what they are doing.

#3 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 11:24 PM

Move to Omaha. I get great cable service. I should for the bill they send me every month for digital tv, local & long distance phone service, and internet. Never had a bad experience from a CSR or tech yet. Have I made you feel better yet. :D

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Bogy
Move to Omaha. I get great cable service. I should for the bill they send me every month for digital tv, local & long distance phone service, and internet. Never had a bad experience from a CSR or tech yet. Have I made you feel better yet. :D

No, now you've made me jealous. :D

#5 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 05:04 PM

Kevin,

I know it is frustrating but it is worth all this hassle. I went through much frustration (different issues) when Cablevision released OO in my area as well but I have been VERY VERY happy (with one notable exception) for the last 18 months with their service. It is VERY fast and reliable.
Your 56k days are almost over. Have faith!

In solidarity!

john
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#6 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 06:31 PM

Originally posted by sorahl
Kevin,

I know it is frustrating but it is worth all this hassle. I went through much frustration (different issues) when Cablevision released OO in my area as well but I have been VERY VERY happy (with one notable exception) for the last 18 months with their service. It is VERY fast and reliable.
Your 56k days are almost over. Have faith!

In solidarity!

john

How is their tech support? When I spoke to the CSR's over the phone they didn't seem to know what they were talking about. I don't know what department these CSR's were from, but I'm sure that they didn't have enough brains to fill a peanut.

#7 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 06:39 PM

Hmm Well you have to acknowledge that there are certian 'givens' when calling up CSR's of a cable company.
1) They will deny any and all outages
2) No outage less than 8 hours is called an outage
3) They must have atleast 3 people complaining in your area to call it an outage
4) They will always deny that anyone else is complaining of an outage
5) The problem is always with your equipment
6) You have to be home for any service call to anyone in your state (grin)

Given that, they are great.
really they have no idea what they are doing. Fortunatly I have only had one time where there was a problem with their network. I don't use their mail server for my primary mail, rather have my own domain hosted else where.
I think that having only one network problem in 18 months is pretty good.
Does that answer your question? Their network works well enough that you don'thave to call them up to find out they don't know what a network is :)

John
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2

#8 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 06:50 PM

Originally posted by sorahl
Hmm Well you have to acknowledge that there are certian 'givens' when calling up CSR's of a cable company.
1) They will deny any and all outages
2) No outage less than 8 hours is called an outage
3) They must have atleast 3 people complaining in your area to call it an outage
4) They will always deny that anyone else is complaining of an outage
5) The problem is always with your equipment
6) You have to be home for any service call to anyone in your state (grin)

Given that, they are great.
really they have no idea what they are doing. Fortunatly I have only had one time where there was a problem with their network. I don't use their mail server for my primary mail, rather have my own domain hosted else where.
I think that having only one network problem in 18 months is pretty good.
Does that answer your question? Their network works well enough that you don'thave to call them up to find out they don't know what a network is :)

John

Yes, thank you. Hopefully once I get my service turned on I'll never have to speak to them again. :)

#9 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 06:56 PM

That's the idea !

:)
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2

#10 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 02:49 PM

Update:

Last night I called Cablevision AGAIN to ask them when my service will be activated. The CSR told me that a technician is already scheduled to come to my street next Thursday, the 19th (I wasn't informed of this until last night). He told me that I do not have to be home for this so I'm assuming that the technician is going to do work on the street and maybe activate the service. We'll see, we'll see...

I'll put 50 bucks on OOL not being turned on before the technician leaves. Anyone else? :D

#11 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 02:43 PM

Cablevision FINALLY activated OOL on my street today!

Case CLOSED!

:righton:

#12 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 02:44 PM

After this...Do you have anyhair left on your head (that isn't grey)
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#13 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 02:50 PM

Originally posted by gcutler
After this...Do you have anyhair left on your head (that isn't grey)

:lol: No, but if I have a stroke when I'm 20 then I know who's to blame. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...