Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Good Directv Experience

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:59 PM

Just wanted to write this to say how good of an experience I've had with Directv with my current problem.

Friday night we had a storm roll through here and lighting struck close to my house(we don't know if it actually hit the house) it ended up taking out my tivo receivers, multiswitch, lnb, but the cables survived somehow. It also ended up taking out my laptop, Wii, 2 DVD players, router, cable modem, ruined all the phones in the house, and a couple other things.

Well I called up Directv explained the situation and she had me do a couple tests to see if they could fix it over the phone. To no surprise it didn't work, so the tech support rep scheduled out a service call and had tech guy scheduled to come out Sunday. I was pretty impressed they were able to get somebody out so quick and on a Sunday no less.

When he came out on Sunday, he was able to restore the signal in the lines by replacing the LNB on the dish and replacing the multiswitch. It seems one receiver on each of the dual receiver Tivo's were fried(can't get signal on them at all and I suspect the phone are gone on them too. Haven't checked really.) Sadly he didn't have any receivers in the truck. The guy said he just finished rewiring an entire house that got a direct hit and he had to replace the wiring and everything(ouch!). So he ended up calling Directv and they are sending me out two new receivers and to throw away the other receivers and to destroy the cards. I should hopefully have those in 3 business days.

All in all a pretty good experience.

To top things off I was able to get the cable co out there same day I called them to restore my internet on a Saturday no less. Here's too hoping I have such an easy time with the insurance company with the rest of the damaged equipment.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:54 AM

You're fortunate to have received quick responses to your problems from that storm.
Having said that, I always make it a point to unplug all sensitive electronic devices when a storm comes through because I have lost equipment before when a bolt of lightning hits close by.

#3 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:05 AM

First off im sorry to hear about your ordeal. It must be killing you not to be able to play the wii. I know it would kill me. Sound pretty lucky that it didn't take out your tv. I agree I usually unplug all my equipment at the start of a storm. I had the same thing happen this weekend and think my receiver got hit. Luckily it is the only thing acting weird. Sometimes unplugging everything doesn't help either. Like in my situation we where all sleeping and the bolt that did it in is the one that woke us up.

#4 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:29 AM

You're fortunate to have received quick responses to your problems from that storm.
Having said that, I always make it a point to unplug all sensitive electronic devices when a storm comes through because I have lost equipment before when a bolt of lightning hits close by.

When you have a rat's nest of wires all tangled behind the equipment stack it's not an easy task for many of us. Pulling the plug from the wall is easy but you also have the phone line, network wire, all the tuner wires (if you have multiple DVRs, as I do), possibly an OTA outside antenna, etc. Then you have the rest of the house, with washer/dryer, refrigerator, stereo system, window air conditioners, etc.

I'm in central Texas and we rank around 2nd behind Florida for lightning strikes. Despite that, it really is a major PITA to unplug absolutely everything and I rarely do it. Just doing the tv system alone would probably take me 15 minutes to find and unplug all the wiring and 30 minutes to put it back together again later. The computer is easy. Unplug the power strip from the wall, unplug the ethernet cable and I'm done. I do take precautions with the computer when lightning is close, but the tv system has to take its chances. :(

One more consideration around here is that you often get the worst lightning at a time of possible tornadoes. I want the tv hooked up so I can watch the local weather reports. I'm more concerned with being aware of a tornado coming my way than losing equipment to a lightning strike.

I've only had 1 strike in the past 20 years. It took out the phones, the microwave, electric clocks and one tv. Everything else survived. Lightning is a weird beast and it's impossible to predict what path it will want to take.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#5 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:28 AM

Sorry to hear that, looks like you had a lot of equipment damaged. Glad you had a good experience though.

#6 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:04 AM

I took a similar call, but the local power company did something by accident to a transformer that blew out several neighbors down the customer's street, and most of her electronic equipment...and the water softner under her sink, so she had water all over her kitchen and into her livingroom.... :P

I was happy to replace her receivers, and only asked if it would power off and on...no troubleshooting on that one! glad to hear you had a good experience out of the bad one.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...