Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA RAID5 Array

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jbender19

jbender19

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:35 PM

Forgive me if this is stated elsewhere, but does anyone actually have eSATA working with a RAID5 array? Theoretically, it should work, but I was hoping someone who has tried it could let me know if there is any noticable performance degradation, etc.

I'm looking to purchase an external array...something like the silverstone DS351, but I want to maximize my storage. I just can't take the risk of using a RAID 0 config. If one drive fails...I lose everything. :eek2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s (at least to your first post.)

Don't you know it! I want something to handle all the new HD coming. Earl has a contact (aside from his DIRECTV contacts) planning on marketing a storage array fairly soon, or so I gather. I'm kinda waiting for that and drives to continue to drop in prices before I buy.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

If I was designing the stuff for D*, I'd take external storage to the next level.

Give me a networked storage device that can be accessed by multiple HR20s.

Gives the user tons and tons of storage and a nice way to push MRV out the door. :D
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:30 PM

E* on last Team Summit demonstrated HP Media Server what support ViP622 ( perhap and ViP211 ). Terabyte, petabytes, whooohooo !

#5 OFFLINE   GollyGee

GollyGee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

Standalone RAID 5 controllers are still quite expensive, b/c they take a lot of processing power, and because they require 3 drives minimum, they don't sell in very high volumes.

There are several RAID10 solutions - basically, a pair of mirrored drives is fast-striped. With RAID5, 3 drives gives you the capacity of 2. With RAID10, 4 drives gives you the capacity of 2, but the speed is better.
Relax... It's only television

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:03 PM

WHS (read HP Media Server) use 'span' across ALL existing and future disk(s) installed into the server computer.

#7 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:38 AM

WHS (read HP Media Server) use 'span' across ALL existing and future disk(s) installed into the server computer.

But is very likely not redundant.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

Correct.
But regardless of that feature HP Media Server [used for demonstration at Dish Team Summit] run the MS product [beta now] as external storage for ViP622 and ViP211.

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:52 AM

Actually, I believe, but can't prove other than a link to Wikipedia, that the WHS does support drive redundancy.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:31 PM

Tom, I have it as beta tester and would be _surprized_ if I'll find that feature.

#11 OFFLINE   GollyGee

GollyGee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

That's concatenation.
True, the HR20 will recognize the increased capacity, but if you concatenate storage to a RAID volume attached to the HR20, the HR20 will reformat the entire volume and you'll lose all of your stored recordings.

For example, let's say you have a 4-drive RAID box with 3 500GB drives, and you format it for 1.5TB. After recording 1.5 TB of your favorite shows, you decide to add a 4th, 1 TB drive. The RAID box will now show a total capacity of 2.5 TB.

Unfortunately, the software on the DirecTV receiver will see the change, and it will erase the whole volume. Sorry. :(
Relax... It's only television

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

You didn't read my post #4 - this is a SERVER, like NAS, but not DAS.

spam firewall