Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Spot Beam question. (FSN Bay Area HD)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   snashbar

snashbar

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:56 PM

Through this forum and other sites I have learned that spot beams are rather wide and can cover several hundred miles in most cases. So D* has a spot beam for the San Francisco Bay area. Even if they directed that spot beam right at downtown SF (which would be a waste since half of the spot beam would be lost on the dolphins out in the pacific) the spot beam should easilly reach Sacramento 70 miles away. In fact it should reach to Reno or even farther east. If that is true, (and correct me if it isn't.) then why are they not letting us folks in the Sacramento area have FSNBA HD off of the Bay area spot beam? It is not a regional or black out issue since FSN Bay area is available in the Sacramento market in SD for all providers. Is this just an oversite on their part, and they refuse to accept it, or is my science all wrong here. Is anyone out there cheating with their address and picking this up in the Sacramento area. I have to believe it would work.

I am dying to see my Giants in HD, and Comcast is NOT an option.
Maybe when DTV-10 gets up and running they can move the RSN's out of spot beam. Or maybe I am dreaming...:(

:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BJM

BJM

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:05 PM

there's another FSN BA spot beam thread elsewhere... what I remember is that we get our locals through a spot beam, and there might be interference...?
THR-22 (3/2012 - DirecTiVo) | 720p Pillar Box
HDMI to Panasonic 32" LCD | No OTA
Network: Mac OS 10.7.3 <-> Belkin router <-> WGA600N wireless adapter
Live TV rarely, trickplay often (esp. 30sec slip) | ~ 30 shows in Season Pass
DirecTV since 12/2004
[previous HR20-700 12/2006-3/2012]
[retired: TiVo Series 1 (!), 150+ hrs., 1/2000-1/2007]
Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto DMA

#3 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

Through this forum and other sites I have learned that spot beams are rather wide and can cover several hundred miles in most cases. So D* has a spot beam for the San Francisco Bay area. Even if they directed that spot beam right at downtown SF (which would be a waste since half of the spot beam would be lost on the dolphins out in the pacific) the spot beam should easilly reach Sacramento 70 miles away. In fact it should reach to Reno or even farther east. If that is true, (and correct me if it isn't.) then why are they not letting us folks in the Sacramento area have FSNBA HD off of the Bay area spot beam? It is not a regional or black out issue since FSN Bay area is available in the Sacramento market in SD for all providers. Is this just an oversite on their part, and they refuse to accept it, or is my science all wrong here. Is anyone out there cheating with their address and picking this up in the Sacramento area. I have to believe it would work.

I am dying to see my Giants in HD, and Comcast is NOT an option.
Maybe when DTV-10 gets up and running they can move the RSN's out of spot beam. Or maybe I am dreaming...:(

:confused:

The answer is two fold. Number one, they've chosen to carry the RSN on the spot beam and activate it along with your local channels. Because you aren't in the SF DMA, they cannot turn on the SF Spot Beam to you...

Because bandwidth is limited at this point, they are not placing the RSN on other spot beams, meaning it's not on your Sacramento spot beam...

The other question in this whole scenario is although you may be able to see both the SF and SAC spot beams, is it even possible to receive channels from 2 different spot beams. No one seems to know the answer, but since they aren't activating the channel to areas outside of the spot beam, it would seem the answer may be no.

And, the final problem to the whole scenario is that D* made a business decision to deliver the RSN programming in one specific fashion. At this point in time, they're only a month or two (I think) from having the new satellite ready to launch new programming. At that point, the HD RSNs will be broadcasting CONUS rather than SPOT (just like the SD RSNs are now).... So, to change the fashion in which they deliver the RSNs at this point in the game would constitute a change in policy that will be in effect for a short, short period of time... They obviously don't want to do that, so we all have to wait until the RSNs are CONUS.

#4 OFFLINE   SAC-CA-HT

SAC-CA-HT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:15 PM

Well crap...I wonder if they will go Conus or Spot on FSNBA. I REALLY want to see Sharks in HD next season. I want to upgrade to HD now, but don't want to find out next season that I can't see the Sharks in HD. I don't mind going to Comcast, but would rather stay with D*. What to do? What to do?:confused:

#5 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

Well crap...I wonder if they will go Conus or Spot on FSNBA. I REALLY want to see Sharks in HD next season. I want to upgrade to HD now, but don't want to find out next season that I can't see the Sharks in HD. I don't mind going to Comcast, but would rather stay with D*. What to do? What to do?:confused:

We won't know for SURE until the new satellite is up and functional, but every indication we've seen is that the RSNs will be CONUS when the new satellite is operational...

#6 OFFLINE   K1A

K1A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:49 AM

when theres a giants game or an a's game Listed on the channel guide, i am able to watch it in hd here in Fresno on FSN-Bay Area HD

#7 OFFLINE   packfan909

packfan909

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:57 AM

Hi All,

Here is the official press release that states the move of HD-RSNs to being CONUS delivered by the end of the year:

http://phx.corporate...6125&highlight=

...In addition to the networks listed below, DIRECTV also plans to offer the HD feeds of regional sports networks on a nationwide basis this fall, and has commitments from a number of other networks to launch their HD simulcasts. They will be added to the lineup for launch by year-end and will be announced at a later date...

I also am craving Sharks in HD this upcoming season. Looks like the MLB season will be a wash.

pf
DirecTV & Sirius Subscriber - Hardware on Profile
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Bridged | 1080i Str | Rem IR Harmony 676 | HDMI
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 480p Str | Rem RF RC24 | Component
HR21-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 1080i LB | Rem RC32 | Component
uPnP Software: TVersity Pro BETA 1.5
Internet: Fiber 10MB via Surewest, Airlink+ Router

#8 OFFLINE   SAC-CA-HT

SAC-CA-HT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

Thanks Pacfan...well I sure hope this solves the problem of not being able to get Sharks in HD. Does this mean that if someone like myself who loves hockey gets the Sports Pak with all the RSN's that I would be able to watch, lets say, the Avs in HD if they are broadcasting in HD? Just curious. Not trying to be greedy, but that would be really sweet!

Baseball...my team is the Braves so I hope TBS in HD will carry their games nationally in HD! At least by next season. I won't have a true HD TV till X-mas sometime.

#9 OFFLINE   firemed509

firemed509

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Pacfan...well I sure hope this solves the problem of not being able to get Sharks in HD. Does this mean that if someone like myself who loves hockey gets the Sports Pak with all the RSN's that I would be able to watch, lets say, the Avs in HD if they are broadcasting in HD? Just curious. Not trying to be greedy, but that would be really sweet!

Baseball...my team is the Braves so I hope TBS in HD will carry their games nationally in HD! At least by next season. I won't have a true HD TV till X-mas sometime.

No, you would need to have NHL Center Ice in order to watch teams ouside your RSN.

#10 OFFLINE   packfan909

packfan909

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:16 PM

Just like with the SD versions, we would be entitled to our local teams broadcast in HD if available.

A sport subscription as was mentioned before is the way to watch out of town broadcasts. Unless they are on Versus, NBC, or HDNet which are nationally televised games.

EDIT: I remember seeing something today about TBS and how the local channel will be programmed differently than the SuperStation. I know that TBS is showing all teams now so the days of just Braves games I think are gone. TurnerSouth and the local WTBS will probably be showing just Braves games.

pf

#11 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 681 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:02 AM

Just like with the SD versions, we would be entitled to our local teams broadcast in HD if available.

A sport subscription as was mentioned before is the way to watch out of town broadcasts. Unless they are on Versus, NBC, or HDNet which are nationally televised games.

EDIT: I remember seeing something today about TBS and how the local channel will be programmed differently than the SuperStation. I know that TBS is showing all teams now so the days of just Braves games I think are gone. TurnerSouth and the local WTBS will probably be showing just Braves games.

pf

Plus, TBS will be carrying the all of the first round of the MLB playoffs as well as the NLCS. Hopefully, by then those games will be in HD.

#12 OFFLINE   packfan909

packfan909

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:26 AM

Plus, TBS will be carrying the all of the first round of the MLB playoffs as well as the NLCS. Hopefully, by then those games will be in HD.

I think that is the plan. MLB wouldn't change networks if they didn't get that commitment from TBS. And since the playoffs are in October that allows for slack in the schedule for D10.

I think we are in good shape.

pf

Protected By... spam firewall...And...