Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Angel to transistion IPTV over the next year

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

http://biz.yahoo.com...f049.html?.v=66

Sky Angel Transitions to IPTV
Friday June 8, 3:28 pm ET

NAPLES, Fla., June 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion Video Satellite, Inc. is planning dramatic improvements to the way it delivers its "Sky Angel" Christian and family-friendly programming to its nationwide subscriber base, it was announced here today by Chief Executive Officer Rob Johnson.

Johnson said, "We will be transitioning Sky Angel to a broadband Internet protocol, commonly known as IPTV, with programming still delivered to the TV. The technology is already in use widely in both Europe and Asia and experiencing growing popularity in the United States. Our current subscribers will simply need to use an IPTV set-top box that will allow them to connect their television to high-speed Internet. Overall service will be more economical than our current satellite system and will provide Sky Angel viewers more options."

Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) combines traditional television with broadband Internet services. Instead of receiving programming through cable or satellite, programming is received by the viewer through a high-speed Internet connection and small set-top box and does not require an outside dish or antenna, professionally installed equipment or a computer. IPTV enables programs to be viewed on conventional TVs, personal computers and handheld instruments, which will provide viewers the benefit of receiving programs at home and on the go. Enhanced programming, additional channels and more choices of programming packages for individual subscribers are other features afforded by IPTV. IPTV is not the same as what consumers might consider to be traditional web streaming and provides a real viewing experience on your TV.

According to a recent study by Zogby Survey, 53 percent of Internet users would replace their cable and satellite television connections with broadband TV if they could keep the same channel lineup. IPTV provides viewers value- added services and conveniences such as the ability to set up their own equipment, to retrieve programs that have already aired, much like a personal video recorder, and to utilize Video on Demand - all of which are the key benefits of an IPTV service.

"We believe that our subscribers will truly enjoy the interactive programming and other benefits resulting from the convergence of Internet and television," said Johnson. "IPTV will provide them with the ability to personalize and maximize their viewing experience.

"We want to assure all of our subscribers and our family of employees, dealers and programmers that it is our intention to ultimately deliver a better and more reliable television service and a more diverse range of Christian and family-friendly programming. With the loss of a satellite transponder last spring, and as our satellite continues to age, it has become increasingly evident that Sky Angel must embrace new, cost-effective technology opportunities that will enable us to further our vision to deliver the Gospel around the world. We have been testing the IPTV technology, and we are very impressed with the quality of picture and delivery. We believe it will be a major step forward for Sky Angel and for all those who support the Sky Angel mission," Johnson said.

The transition to IPTV in the U.S. will occur over the next year, and more information will be provided about the transition during the coming months.

Sky Angel was founded by Robert Johnson, Sr. 25 years ago to provide a Christ-centered and family-friendly alternative to the standard television fare. Since then, it has grown into a service providing quality television programming to all corners of the contiguous 48 states. Early this year, Sky Angel also began providing programming in Canada through a Toronto-based IPTV service partner.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:37 PM

http://svartifoss2.f...erC/File Number

Transfer of the satellite licenses from Dominion Sky Angel to Echostar Dish Network.

#3 OFFLINE   derwin0

derwin0

Icon

• Registered
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

IPTV, that's what Sky Angel is using in Canada now.

#4 OFFLINE   sansha

sansha

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:57 AM

this really sucks for current subscribers who also have dish.

It means they won't see the sky angel channels on their guide.

And will have to buy or lease set top boxes --which really sucks for lifetime subs, particularly those who have more than one tv.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

I agree ... Canadian rates for the SkyAngel service are $120 for the receiver ($113 US), $25 per month for the service ($23.55 US). 1.5 mbps internet service required. If you want to watch via a computer you can - so the receiver cost is "optional".

So pay $10 more per month for the service, without secular channels - pay for a broadband connection separately - not be able to subscribe at all if broadband is not available (or is not cost effective). It seems to be a lot of effort for a few channels.

IPTV to Canada makes sense with satellites lower on the horizon and no Canadian DBS licenses. Perhaps this shows that there was no way for SkyAngel to survive as a DBS provider (a DBS provider who never launched a satellite or uplink center). IPTV seems to be the last chance to provide any ministry at all.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   countryboy

countryboy

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:46 PM

Sky Angel better hope the video and audio channels they carry are not already on IPTV. IPTV already has over 1,200 audio channels and hundreds of video channels in their $9.99 a month package. Sky Angel's days might be numbered because they have now burned all bridges they had with the lifetime subscribers. I am sure glad Pelle and Evie got out of there when they did.

#7 OFFLINE   drfreeman

drfreeman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:46 AM

I just dropped dish network a nice e-mail about putting a christian channel
type package together since sky angel is leaving.
Cant hurt to ask...right?
perhaps a bunch of us could ask and be PRO-ACTIVE and at least get a few
christian channels added(tvu,spirit, etc....)
my kids were really upset when i told them we would be losing tvu!

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:46 AM

Dish has a different business model than Sky Angel. If more religious channels are added to E*, it will be channels who are willing to pay for carriage. There are a few who are willing to pay, but I doubt if all of SkyAngel's channels would be able to.

SkyAngel's business model was basically cashless with ministries not paying or being paid for carriage with non-lifetime subscribers and donations covering the cost of operations.

For E* to create a "cashless" model (no payment or charge for carriage) where the end customer pays operational costs is possible. But E* would have to have enough subscribers to cover the cost. Fortunately a lot of the overhead is taken care of because they are already in the DBS business (and successful too!).

I can see E* adding ministries willing to pay (such as they already have with 3ABN) and allowing all subs including DISHFamily to see those channels. (Although channels on 61.5° don't really help DISHFamily subs. Multiple dishes and switches for a $19.99/$24.99 service?)

I don't see E* starting a "subscriber supported" religious package. The good news for E* subscribers is that with SkyAngel going away the 'prohibition' on adding religious channels to E* is ending ... so it is only a matter of ministries being willing to pay and E* accepting such payment to get more religious channels on E*. No more worrying about being sued.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:37 PM

Can Dish add more religious channels to satisfy its usually deficient (by our count) public interest channel percentage?
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

Sure. They are required to have 4% to 7% at each satellite slot set aside for PIs. I believe they have reached the 4% plateau now (their math is always a year behind, so new satellite additions don't immediately affect the number of PIs needed). Today they have 26 PIs - which would be 4% of 650 channels (assuming equal distribution). The 8 PIs on 119° would be 4% of 200 channels. The 9 PIs on 110° would be 4% of 225 channels.

I'd like to see them closer to 7% ... especially if they get there with channels people want.

#11 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:56 AM

Can Dish add more religious channels to satisfy its usually deficient (by our count) public interest channel percentage?

I cannot speak for the FCC requirements of DBS transponders, but in radio and television broadcasts, religion does not count as PI (or Public Affairs....not even Public Service - seperation of church and state).

Dish has a different business model than Sky Angel. If more religious channels are added to E*, it will be channels who are willing to pay for carriage. There are a few who are willing to pay, but I doubt if all of SkyAngel's channels would be able to.

Interesting......and here all we hear is how Dish pays for channels and that is why our costs goes up every year - then you tell us that Dish is in a different business model and channels pay for carriage. :rolleyes:

SkyAngel's business model was basically cashless with ministries not paying or being paid for carriage with non-lifetime subscribers and donations covering the cost of operations.

If Charlie can put together a tier tied in with his family package, he'll do it in a heartbeat. There is nothing that say the channels cannot be cashless with E* and all the money goes to his pocket.

For E* to create a "cashless" model (no payment or charge for carriage) where the end customer pays operational costs is possible. But E* would have to have enough subscribers to cover the cost. Fortunately a lot of the overhead is taken care of because they are already in the DBS business (and successful too!).

When you add the religous pack as an add on to a minimum package, yes. It would have more appeal than some of the foreign language channels.

I can see E* adding ministries willing to pay (such as they already have with 3ABN) and allowing all subs including DISHFamily to see those channels. (Although channels on 61.5° don't really help DISHFamily subs. Multiple dishes and switches for a $19.99/$24.99 service?)

Again, if he can make it an add on package - as most have the orbital position of 61.5 covered, no big deal.

I don't see E* starting a "subscriber supported" religious package. The good news for E* subscribers is that with SkyAngel going away the 'prohibition' on adding religious channels to E* is ending ... so it is only a matter of ministries being willing to pay and E* accepting such payment to get more religious channels on E*. No more worrying about being sued.

Oh really? Do you have a documentation of that or is that your speculation?

I'd love to see the link.

Of course, I suppose you have a link that shows us why Sky Angel assigned their orbital to E* and what those terms of - what can and cannot be done - such as perhaps - the possiblity of not starting a religous tier?????

Or do you think that SkyAngel just signed them over for the heck of it :rolleyes:

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:32 AM

I cannot speak for the FCC requirements of DBS transponders, but in radio and television broadcasts, religion does not count as PI (or Public Affairs....not even Public Service - seperation of church and state).

Perhaps you should do some research. There is no problem on DBS with calling a religious station a "PI" channel. The definition of PI does not discriminate against religious channels and the FCC is notorious for not caring about the content of channels (beyond indecent/obscene).

Interesting......and here all we hear is how Dish pays for channels and that is why our costs goes up every year - then you tell us that Dish is in a different business model and channels pay for carriage. :rolleyes:

PIs pay their own way. There is a limit on how much a satellite carrier can charge the owner of a PI channel but, unlike most channels, PIs pay for their carrage instead of being paid for their content.

If Charlie can put together a tier tied in with his family package, he'll do it in a heartbeat. There is nothing that say the channels cannot be cashless with E* and all the money goes to his pocket.

When you add the religous pack as an add on to a minimum package, yes. It would have more appeal than some of the foreign language channels.

Again, if he can make it an add on package - as most have the orbital position of 61.5 covered, no big deal.

Thank you for your opinion and speculation.

Oh really? Do you have a documentation of that or is that your speculation?

I'd love to see the link.

Of course, I suppose you have a link that shows us why Sky Angel assigned their orbital to E* and what those terms of - what can and cannot be done - such as perhaps - the possiblity of not starting a religous tier?????

Or do you think that SkyAngel just signed them over for the heck of it :rolleyes:

E* has the technology in space and at the right orbital to use those transponders (or at least most of them). I suppose if they were spiteful SkyAngel could have assigned the licenses to DirecTV, but they didn't. The FCC filing shows that SkyAngel has consented to transfer to Echostar.

The rest just requires some knowledge and research on your part. Look back a couple of years to when SkyAngel sued and successfully removed three PI channels from E* on the basis that they were religious and their addition was contrary to the agreements between SkyAngel and E*.

Despite their differences the two companies have worked together to first make SkyAngel an active DBS service in the first place and second keep SkyAngel on the air all of these years. Perhaps there is "bad blood" between them, but there is also a strong historical tie.

The fact that SkyAngel consented to transferring the licenses to E* does not prove that there is some underlying secret deal to start a "religious tier" on E*. I suspect for SkyAngel's IPTV offering to succeed SkyAngel would prefer LESS competition, not more. I would not be surprised if SkyAngel tried to negotiate a non-compete ... but it isn't something E* would be interested in.

You engaged in speculation ... don't knock it. Just keep your speculation rooted in the realm of 'possible' and stay off of Fantasy Island. :)

#13 OFFLINE   sansha

sansha

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:55 AM

You would think Sky angel would lose a considerable number of subscribers who, having invested in dish equipment, or got the server because they already had dish, may not be interested in having to buy more receivers, a broadband connection if they don't have one, and paying to wire their existing TVs to receive the broadband. Incidental dish viewers also will just watch less because now the channels won't be on their main receiver's guide. Or on their tvs, if they do have broadband and can get it on their computer, but don't want to bother with buying new receivers).

Considering how hard it is to get subscribers, and that IPTV is not very popular in the US yet, I wonder what the churn will be.

Has sky angel directly informed its customer base yet? At least when Dish goes to new dishes/technology, they usually offer a partially subsidized upgrade program, but I doubt sky angel will have the pockets for that.

#14 OFFLINE   KTMCDO

KTMCDO

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:31 AM

since skyangel is leaving can we
get the following religious channels
1 church channel
2 Godtv
3the word network
im sure there are more but these are the ones i know a
little about

#15 OFFLINE   dahenny

dahenny

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

since skyangel is leaving can we
get the following religious channels
1 church channel
2 Godtv
3the word network
im sure there are more but these are the ones i know a
little about

GodTV is only available on D*, unless you happen to have a c-band set-up. That one channel almost got me to switch from E* to D*. It's a great channel. :grin:

#16 OFFLINE   KTMCDO

KTMCDO

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

just hope they dont add another shopping channel where sky angel used to
be slotted
and we have a local tv station that simucasts godtv from 12 am to 6 am here in Albuquerque

#17 OFFLINE   dahenny

dahenny

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:43 PM

You would think Sky angel would lose a considerable number of subscribers

Yep...I've been a lifetimer for quite some time. Paid $300 for my sub. Soon as they go dark, I'm washing my hands of them. Bob Sr is prolly rolling over in his grave at what Jr is doing to his dream.:mad:

Has sky angel directly informed its customer base yet?

NOPE!

#18 OFFLINE   ann

ann

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

yea me is one of those lifetime sky angel watchers to, even though it hurt quite a
bit when they took off the GOSPEL MUSIC ASS. (GMA)
I really did like that channel alot.
I might be a kid at heart because I also like to watch some of the programs on KTV also.

Ann

#19 OFFLINE   ann

ann

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:48 PM

I just dropped dish network a nice e-mail about putting a christian channel
type package together since sky angel is leaving.
Cant hurt to ask...right?
perhaps a bunch of us could ask and be PRO-ACTIVE and at least get a few
christian channels added(tvu,spirit, etc....)
my kids were really upset when i told them we would be losing tvu!

yea I heard something about sky angel leaving dish network, it did really hurt when they lost the GMA (gospel music Ass).:(

#20 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:21 AM

Anyone know what sky angel intends to do about its lifetimers? I can speculate that they are going to hang us out to dry and hope we buy new equipment and subscribe to IPTV. somehow doubt they will do the "right" thing and switch us over and give us the new equipment. Even that won't help as everyone can't get high speed internet. this REALLy defeats founders vision of bring gospel to all people via satellite. How many remote areas have internet at all?

I for one am not going to sink any more money into SA. I am soooo glad I didn't fall for the pay us for a year of "special 4" channels. They many not even be on DBS in less than a year :( the special 4 seems to have been just the begnnning. this is just the final blow to get rid of the lifetime subs!
'

spam firewall