Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Angel to transistion IPTV over the next year

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sansha

sansha

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

what is the special 4?

As for lifetime subbers, (of which I'm one), lifetime means lifetime, so we shouldn't have to "subscribe" to IPTV. OTOH, according to their website, if you have high speed internet, and are subbed, you don't need a receiver to watch on your computer -- you only need one to watch on your tv (which is not at all the same thing but they'll probably take that as fulfilling the terms of their agreement). I imagine they'll leave the purchasing of receivers to those that want to buy them and consider being able to watch on your computer (if you have the high speed internet) as sufficient for fulfilling their lifetime agreement. OTOH, if they ask lifetime subbers to pay a fee to subscribe to IPTV, that would be wrong.

To me, it doesn't seem as if they care about any of their existing customer base, lifetime or otherwise. I never got a letter or a survey asking me if I had high speed internet or was in favor of this switch, so I wonder what research they did of their existing customer base to determine that this was the way to go.

Considering how hard it is to get subscribers, it seems odd to me that they'd risk losing so many viewers. IPTV may be the way to go for the future, but it is not very prevalent in the US. A lot of casual watchers, who purchased a lifetime sub because it was on dish will have less incentive to watch when the channels aren't on the dish receivers or in their guide. Even if they purchase the additional receiver. And if they don't, how many families gather around their computer to watch tv?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:43 AM

The special four are Fox News, HGTV, Hallmark and Hallmark Movies. The "secular" channels added last year (replacing religious channels).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:49 PM

As a lifetime Sky Angel subscriber, I am very disappointed about the move to IPTV and for all of the reasons that have been stated by others. I liked having the channels in the program guide with Dish, which was a factor in my staying with Dish. I could never imagine family viewing consisting of a night around the computer and I am not in the mood to spend more $$ on extra equipment to watch it on TV. It just gives another negative to the concept of "lifetime" partnerships and brings back bad memories of the PTL lifetime partnerships that were sold in the 1980's.

#24 OFFLINE   MRC Ohio

MRC Ohio

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:49 AM

So this is why SkyAngel has been advertising a special deal with Hughes Net high speed internet via satellite and is now offering a $100,000 sweepstake for requesting information on IPTV.

Check out SkyAngel's site - this forum will not let me post URLs until I've made 5 posts :(

I just hope SkyAngel lets me switch to paying monthly, while I decide if this is for me.

#25 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

I think the idea behind the IPTV is great it will allow them to add tons of channels but the problem is this. Not everyone can get high speed internet. even hughes satellite internet is not everywhere. The other problem is i know allot of people who will not go get internet just to have sky angel. With dish and directv having a few christian stations each they will just deal with those.
Me personally i like TVU and RADIOU and KTV and with having a child soon i want her to watch KTV with the good Christian programming on there rather then the junk that cartoon network and some of the other kids channels show now days. Although i do enjoy boomarang those are the cartoons i grew up watching as a child and those are just as good today as they were 30 years ago even 50 years ago. And i have high speed internet anyway so i will go for this as long as i can have DVR capibilites.

My grandparents are longtime supports of Sky angel i believe since 97 or so and they have said they will just stay with Directv as there are several christian channels on there they like and they wont get high speed internet just for this.

I really think there could be a way sky angel could do both. Dish has several satellites they dont use all of like the ones for the old superdishes. Why could they not trade off and use one of those satellites. Then those who wanted IPTV and not a dish on their house like an apartment or something or those who cant get satellite can get the IPTV.

Just an idea.

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

IPTV offers more than just viewing the channels ... the classic satellite service sends all the content live to all the viewers at the same time. Individual customers either watch it as it arrives (normal) or buys additional equipment to watch it later or store the content (usually by DVR). If one changes to a channel they cannot go back to the beginning of the program and start over ... they can only see what was on their tuner when their tuner was on that channel (either live or pre-planned DVR events).

IPTV is direct to each customer. They can set up a server that sends not only live content as it is received from the source, but also can be rewound. If you want to watch a show that was on yesterday go for it. This in itself - without increasing the number of channels available - greatly increases the amount of content available. You are no longer looking at a choice of what is on this hour on 17 video channels (17 hours of choice), you are looking at a choice of what has been on in the past 48 hours (816 hours of choice ... less repeats). It would be good to have EVERY Christian network available as an option (even those that stream free elsewhere). The more channels the better.

IPTV also breaks the tie between TV programming and the TV ... you can watch the service on a computer or even a handheld computer ... as long as you can get IP internet service (within the TOS of the network you are on).

That being said, no IP = no TV so it is a major step back for those without a broadband connection. I wish there were some "send only" method of doing this via satellite where customers would lose the IPTV features unless their receiver mimiced them but still be able to see live programming.

More info from Sky Angel -
Request Info on IPTV (and sweepstakes)
IPTV FAQ

BTW: I do not support "the Dominion" Sky Angel, I believe this change is a major departure from their stated mission of reaching the world via satellite and none of my apparent enthusiasm for their IPTV service above should be read as support of SkyAngel's current or future program options. Full disclosure - I believe their anti-compete contract with E* and lawsuit that pulled some Christian programming off of the E* system did more to harm SkyAngel and the body of Christ than good. The best thing about SkyAngel leaving satellite is that it allows E* to add any channel they want, without being worried about being sued by a "DBS company" that never built or launched a satellite and still relies on E* for uplink, receivers and customer activations. Hopefully as PI slots open up or are created by adding capacity to E* satellites E* will fill them with channels that were previously blocked by SkyAngel.

#27 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

JAMES I support what you say. I think the IPTV is a neat thing but i dont see why the same solution could not be done via satellite. I think that sky angel has gotten away from their mission to send the message of Jesus and teh gospel to the world via satellite. i think someone ( i would if i knew how) should set up a sign up list and everyone against the going to IPTV 100% and no satellite is an abandment of their mission and then we get enough signatures we send it to sky angel and let them know how we feel.

I agree that some of the things sky angel has done has harmed them. I didnt know of any law suit though please fill me in. I think this IPTV is cool and can really get them more channels but at the same time they really need to remember many of their customers are from a generation who dont have or want high speed internet and will not go out and get it just to have sky angel besides the fact it violates the whole reason they started thier company in the first place.

#28 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:22 PM

Someone said that some of these christian stations are on IPTV now. I searched the net and found no IPTV carrier. well with the exception of AT&T who is in only a few markets.

Is there such IPTV allready? if there is by another provider i havent found it. But would be curious because if i could get christian programming in my home from TVU and radiou and KTV maybe a couple others id drop sky angel in a heartbeat.

#29 OFFLINE   narnia777

narnia777

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:07 AM

My concern is that since I already have a Dish system setup and I use Tivo with dish network 301 box to record shows from Sky Angel.

I doubt they will own a server that stores every channel's programming for you to start on damand when they swith to IP... They will serve you one channel that your box will tune to. Similar to a Sat box now... but my concern is that will Tivo support those boxes and carry the channel lineup for sky angel on iptv? I don't want to lose my Tivo. Also I don't want to spend money on a new box. Nor do I want to use my dsl bandwidth to watch tv. I like the Dish.

Jim

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:37 AM

It will be interesting to see how Tivo interfaces to the IPTV receiver.

Internally the IPTV receiver will allow you to scroll back 48 hours on any channel, even ones that you were not watching. In some cases, this will allow you to skip using the Tivo (if you are time shifting and watching in less than 48 hours). If you are "archiving forever" or using a season pass to catch shows for you (without rewinding the guide) the Tivo should be made to work somehow.

In Canada SkyAngel is apparently using the Ariza Global 500 receiver. (At least, they are using a picture of it's back panel on their website for hookup detail.)
More information: http://www.skyangel-iptv.com/
Global 500 Manual (in PDF format) here

The front panel is different than what they show on the SkyAngel-IPTV website so they may use a different receiver.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#31 OFFLINE   dahenny

dahenny

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:25 AM

I agree totally James. SA has never been an effective evangelistic tool. It just blesses the sheep of the fold.

And I agree with you, narnia777. I have 2 sons that already hog my dsl bandwidth, let alone what iptv would use. I don't think my pitiful 1200kbps speed would support it anyway.

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:59 PM

This thread went way off on a tangent discussing the mission of SkyAngel ...
That discussion has been moved to another thread:
Debating the Mission of SkyAngel

This thread will be maintained for discussion of the IPTV system only.

#33 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:47 PM

Once again a tangent ...
Sky Angel will NOT honor lifetime for IPTV

This thread will be maintained for discussion of the IPTV system only.
Please discuss SkyAngel's business practices (if you must) in the other threads.

#34 OFFLINE   BusyMommyof8

BusyMommyof8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

This was just posted on the Phantom Tollbooth (full article below)

NeuLion Launches Sky Angel Programming
Christian Satellite TV Provider Plans Major Improvements with
Transition to IPTV
Plainview, NY– June 10, 2007 – NeuLion Inc., the company driving
convergence between television and the Internet, proudly announces
its partnership with Sky Angel U.S. LLC to launch Sky Angel, multiple
channels of Christian-centered and family-friendly programming, using
the NeuLion technology platform.
Sky Angel currently delivers over 30 television and radio channels to
customers across the contiguous United States using direct broadcast
satellite and reaches consumers in homes, churches, prisons,
shelters, hospitals and nursing homes. Programming includes family
movies; classic sitcoms; Christian shows for kids and teens; biblical
teaching and inspirational programs; home life, health and talk
shows; documentaries and educational programs; special events,
conferences and concerts; Christian music videos; and more.
Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) combines traditional television
with broadband Internet services. Enhanced programming, additional
channels and more choices of programming packages for individual
subscribers are specific features afforded by IPTV.
Sky Angel discovered NeuLion when it was reviewing the capabilities
of IPTV platforms. It chose NeuLion’s IPTV service for the quality of
the experience and broadest market reach, the ability to create an
experience better than cable or satellite for the consumer, and
NeuLion’s proven, pre-existing IPTV networks in production with
sizable consumer bases.
Sky Angel plans to transition its subscriber base in the United
States to IPTV over the next year. Consumers may request more
information about Sky Angel’s IPTV service at www.skyangel.com.
Sky Angel® is a Christian-owned multi-channel provider of faith-based
and family-friendly TV and radio programming, delivering the widest
variety of Christian-based channels to the TV, plus news and family
channels. Sky Angel was founded by Robert Johnson Sr. 25 years ago to
provide a Christ-centered and family-friendly alternative to the
standard television fare. Since then, it has grown into a service
providing quality television and radio programming to all corners of
the contiguous United States.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of my employer, my kids, my best gurls, or myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis as revealed to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

#35 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

IPTV in itself is not a bad thing. I do have a problem with the fact that they have yet to notify its customer base of its plans to "TRANSITION" us. Its a lot more than a transition when some can't access high speed interent, it involves new equipment and lifetime members aren't being transitioned at all (more like cast away, discarded......)

This is now the 2nd article/press release (first was in naples fla) yet NO notification to DBS viewers via snail mail, email or even ANGEL 1. I personally think Sky Angel will be in for an unpleasant surprise when many do NOT make the "transition".

They want to send out silly letters, bills to lifetime members with $0 balance yet when they surveyed in MAY regarding IPTV, did they MAIL out surveys to ALL its viewers? NO, they did an internet only viewer advisory board survey! That is obviously flawed in that 1- It only surveyed those with internet 2-not all who have internet have HIGH SPEED access (necessary for IPTV)

#36 OFFLINE   drfreeman

drfreeman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

I must say again........
they are not in this for the long haul.............
they know most will not follow,so they will make an small effort to try
and get this going.
After about a year of not going anywhere they will fold up the tents
and go home.........

just one mans opinion!

#37 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:34 PM

Why do you feel they are making this last show before "folding up their tents"? could it be an income/tax thing to post a major loss, or is there something else to it? there has to be more to this than meets the eye..........

#38 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

I have not been notified, and I don't remember getting the online survey, though we usually fill those out when we receive them. We have SkyAngel on almost every day. We do not subscribe to anything else and we can only get maybe 4 channels with our rabbit ears. If SkyAngel decides to go up to $25 and require a box, I have a feeling we will be dropping it. That is so sad. I love having so many channels available now that I don't have to worry about the content. The inlaws are lifetime subscribers, but they don't watch SkyAngel much if at all anymore. Currently we have 1 & 1/2 mbps broadband, and are not intending to upgrade anytime soon.

#39 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:52 AM

You can go to sky angels website for more info on IPTV, internet speed needed, a link to a speed test to see if you meet the requirements etc

this site has info on skyangel canada, costs, equipment etc. US prices should be similar.

http://tv.about.com/.../a/SkyAngel.htm

You can also google the company operating IPTV for SA, Morey Chaplick, CEO of ShifTV

#40 OFFLINE   BusyMommyof8

BusyMommyof8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:04 PM

I've been fretting over the IPTV switch and rumors of what would happen with lifetime subscribers since it first came up. I have been financially poor my entire adult life. I bought our lifetime sub with a small inheritance my grandmother left me when she died. It was an investment made for my family that I knew Grandma would be blessed by (if she weren't so busy dancing it up in heaven). I had 5 children at the time and now have 8. SkyAngel is virtually all that we watch. It's been a tremendous blessing to have that for my children. It's also been great to see the neighbor kids and teens blessed by KTV and TVU. I could go on and on but I'll probably get myself upset in the process.
3 years ago, when our 8th child was 6 months old my husband moved out. The children and I went from poor to destitute overnight. My church has kept us from becoming homeless. If SkyAngel intends to begin charging Lifetime Subscribers a monthly fee when they switch over to IPTV, we will not be able to continue receiving it. I'm heartbroken at the thought. I feel like we've been exploited for corporate gain and now being discarded.
I wrote to Nancy Christopher <nancy.christopher@skyangel.com> inquiring as to whether Lifetime subscribers were going to be dumped. She has never responded. I called customer service and a very nice young man told me that lifetime subscribers were going to be offered special pricing. At that point I became emotional and had to get off the phone so I wouldn't cry in the young man's ear. I had other questions but they really aren't relevant. If they dump us. We lose. That's the extent of it. SkyAngel needs to realize that there are people on the other end of these subscriptions. People who believed in them. People who gave them hundreds of dollars, sacrificially, so SkyAngel could become a reality. We aren't simply Subscriber ID Numbers.
Cordially,
Cindy
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of my employer, my kids, my best gurls, or myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis as revealed to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...