Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Angel to transistion IPTV over the next year

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

BusyMommy, sorry to hear your story. Maybe you could check into FTA. Glorystar (http://www.jctvsat.com/) has a special emphasis on Christian programming, but any FTA equipment would do about as well for you. Then you'll have the same "lifetime" subscription as the rest of us - free for as long as it's available.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:47 AM

Tried to PM you but it wouldn't go through.

Unfortunately its not just the new monthly fee but also the cost of new IPTV equipment. I am in similar situation with 8 kids and disabled hubby. sky angel is our only TV and radio and IPTV is not an option. although GLORYSTAR system will run $200 there is no monthly fee. Glorystar seems the best option.

Some monthly and yearly subscribers have said they are "jumping ship" now and switching to glorystar. we plan on hanging in to the end and praying that sky angel does the "right thing" for its lifetime members.

#43 OFFLINE   BusyMommyof8

BusyMommyof8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:54 AM

FTA Michael and quiverof8; Thank you so much for the info and links. I don't quite understand what FTA is and how it works but the quest is on!
God bless you both.
Cindy
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of my employer, my kids, my best gurls, or myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis as revealed to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

#44 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:24 PM

Michaels link doesn't seem to work. try this one www.glorystar.tv
Basicaly think of your DISH box as a descrambler as many stations scramble their signals. the signals that are not scrambled can be picked up with a FTA/glorystar receiver :)

#45 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

Little Insight to Sky Angel,,,,,,,
they sued Daystar back 4 years ago because they where on dish and they had a contract with dish that it cant offer any more religous based programming,

then what does sky angel do, add non christian channels to there line up,

Sky angel is concerned only about MONEY..... that the bottom line,
and things have gotten worse since the founder had died,

do you think the founder would have offered up his DBS licence for cash so Dish could add more hd channells ,...... I dont THink So,,,

I too am a life sub,
and i bought into the skyangel vision back in 99.
since then i wish i would have put the money in the missions plate than sky angels accounts cause they dont care about there subs.

I here that dish net is going to offer a religous sub pack to all existing sky subs dont know the full details but its similar to whats now in place .........

Cause atleast Charlie listens to his subs,
thats why i finally have external based recording on my 622........

Food for Thought,
and my prayers go out to Busy Mommey ,,,, your in my thoughts
and ps,, FTA is the way to go for you cause why pay for something thats offered for Free Cause thats exactly what Sky Angel has done since day ONE.....
Kev

#46 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

Seems a bit hypocritical of skyangel at best.

I already have the dish equipment so that might be a possibility although due to monthly cost I don't think so. Dish family also looks halfway decent but again there is monthly cost

glorystar is actually cheaper than the cost of the skyangel lifetime. for SA we had to buy the equipment and pay them a fee (varied from $300-$600 or more). glorystar is one time investment of $200. channels are as good or better than skyangel. I like smile of a child MUCH better than skyangels KTV

sky angel is out due to 1)having to purchase new equipemnt 2)monthly fee if they don't honor lifetime membership (nancy says they won't) 3)cost of highspeed internet to run the IPTV 4)I hesitate to give any more $ to skyangel after the way we have been treated the past 6 months or so

#47 OFFLINE   narnia777

narnia777

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

I will try Sky Angel's IP service only after they remove it from the Satellite. I already have high speed internet and upgraded to 6mb/768 DSL to compensate for extra bandwidth for Sky Angel. I'm not looking forward to spending $100+ for the new box nor trying to find another svideo input to hook it up unless I unhook dish network. Also going to miss the ability to use Tivo with Sky Angel, am looking forward to see how the 48 hour buffer works and if you can save shows to the "box" probably can't though.

Jim

#48 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

There are alternatives to sky angel, DISH family (uses your current equipment), glorystar and supposedly DISH is supposed to come up with a new package to be offered to skyangel subs.

As a lifetime sub, glorystar would be the least expensive alternative for me. Dish would invole a monthly fee but no new equipment, while sky angel would involve both a monthly fee AND new equipment.

#49 OFFLINE   BusyMommyof8

BusyMommyof8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

and my prayers go out to Busy Mommey ,,,, your in my thoughts
and ps,, FTA is the way to go for you cause why pay for something thats offered for Free Cause thats exactly what Sky Angel has done since day ONE.....
Kev

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I'm looking into FTA. I was hoping my dish and receiver would have some resale value to help me raise funds for the FTA equipment but it's the original hardware I bought back in 1999 or so and has fossilized. LOL
Nancy has never responded to my email.
I know I can't recommend SkyAngel anymore. I was their most exhuberant cheerleader and gave away several SA brochures every weekend at the all ages music venue where my kids and I volunteer. The venue also has a lifetime sub and TV-U is on every minute a band isn't playing. If the lifetimes are dumped the venue is dumping SA. They are already operating at a loss and that's an expense they can't afford.
This whole thing is starting to smell like the TV evangelists' pocket lining schemes of the 80's and 90's. At least they could offer us a genuine relic from the Holy land or something of dubious value to stand on our mantel as proof we've been suckered.
Just another 2 cents worth of my thought processes. (I think I've got only 66 cents worth left so if you need an opinion make it quick.)
God bless!
Cindy
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of my employer, my kids, my best gurls, or myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis as revealed to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

#50 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:22 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I'm looking into FTA. I was hoping my dish and receiver would have some resale value to help me raise funds for the FTA equipment but it's the original hardware I bought back in 1999 or so and has fossilized. LOL

I know I can't recommend SkyAngel anymore. I was their most exhuberant cheerleader and gave away several SA brochures every weekend at the all ages music venue where my kids and I volunteer. The venue also has a lifetime sub and TV-U is on every minute a band isn't playing. If the lifetimes are dumped the venue is dumping SA. They are already operating at a loss and that's an expense they can't afford.

Cindy

Cindy, if you do go FTA, there is a channel up there called JCTV. It's put out by the Trinity Broadcasting Network and is a music and action sports network. I love it! Would probably be a good fit into your music venue.
If you can read this, you are too close.

#51 OFFLINE   Ohioankev

Ohioankev

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:31 PM

Cindy, if you do go FTA, there is a channel up there called JCTV. It's put out by the Trinity Broadcasting Network and is a music and action sports network. I love it! Would probably be a good fit into your music venue.

I never had Sky Angel, I looked into and just to get set up at 61.5 wasn't worth it to me. However, I agree with what you are saying, they shouldn't of started the secular channel offerings especially after sueing DISH for offering Christian based channels in the 260 range. Also they should of never swindled thier "Lifelong Subscribers". However I just noticed something. I have an ITVN reciever, which ITVN has just been purchased by a new IPTV company in Canada called BroadShift and guess what BroadShift offers on IPTV, that's right Sky Angel.
http://www.broadshift.com/ They offer over 25 TV/Radio stations for $25 CAD/month.

Since BroadShift bought ITVN and that does indeed go through I see this as a launching point for Sky Angel IPTV in the US.

#52 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:21 AM

I just think its point less to go ahead and pay a 25 $ fee per month for channels that you can get for free,,,,,,
thats just a Money grab................
something christian ministries are so Good At ,,,,
you can get a Coolsat 7000 FTA Receiver,
buy an external sea gate HDD
total cost is 300.00
plus the cost of a dish and motor
may be 450.00 when your done....
and thats it...
you can move to any sateliite and receive free channels from 30 different satillites.....
no fee per month and you can still have a dvr feature....

#53 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

Glorystar satellite is even cheaper $199 for the whole system , dish included, preprogrammed to receive all christian FTA stations. You can add other stations if you want as well. Includes over 40 stations too

#54 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:55 PM

Glorystar's system doesn't include the DVR setup that krazy was talking about. But if you've already got a standalone TiVo (or even a VCR), it'll work fine with pretty much any FTA system.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#55 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

I don't know much about DVR, we still use a VCR :) Either way a FTA system will be cheaper than buying a sky angel IPTV system AND then paying a monthly fee to sky angel besides! Especially for those who are now lifetime member, why start paying a monthly fee to get the same skyangel channels? glorystar seems to be as good or better! I think Smile of a child beats KTv any day. You can also watch it online :)

#56 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:25 PM

It looks like the end is nearer.

The FCC approved the transfer of SkyAngel's transponders to E*.
No word on when SkyAngel must vacate the space.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#57 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

appears to be WITHIN 60 days of date of letter, which was 9/27/07

FCC order here:
http://fjallfoss.fcc...ment_key=595860

#58 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:54 PM

That would be a good estimate for when E* would take possession, but not for when SkyAngel will no longer be able to have their channels on the satellite.

E* has been uplinking the services since day one. They can continue those uplinks even if they own the transponders. Since SkyAngel has yet to begin the transition (all talk and no US IPTV subscribers) they will likely need a couple of months or more to get the IPTV boxes in place.

It's time for them to get a move on!
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#59 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:16 AM

Glorystar's system doesn't include the DVR setup that krazy was talking about. But if you've already got a standalone TiVo (or even a VCR), it'll work fine with pretty much any FTA system.

You dont have to buy the fta from glory star to get the same channels,
all glory star is offering is a two lnb holder to get two ku sats on one dish.,
but the coolsat 7000, is a pvr external option on the fta ,
so you can get dvr options,
krazz

#60 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:43 PM

Its either going to be the dish family package or glorystar for us. glorystar would be cheaper in the long run but as we already have the dish equipment, short term dish would be cheaper. It would actually still save $ to switch to dish family and buy the glorystar equipment. that would give us double the channels and still less expensive then buying all new equipment for sky angel and paying them a monthly fee besides. $200 would get us the glory star equipment and $19.99 a month would get glorystar. I want to wait nd see what if anything dish might offer to skyangel customers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...