Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Angel to transistion IPTV over the next year

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:03 AM

with sky angel off i think dish will offer more religous channels

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,721 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:23 AM

I hope they will. While Sky Angel's goal of providing a Christian DBS platform was good, it was not very evangelical. It was like asking a non-Christian to walk into Wal-Mart or a Christian bookstore and buy a bible or other evangelical material. People don't do that unless someone else has already led them into the store (or sent them there). The better method is to just GIVE the non-Christian a bible or evangelical material (not sell it to them).

The channels on a secular system like DirecTV or the current Christian channels on Dish Network are free. When people are sitting around their homes tired of what is on the other 250-300 channels they get just looking for something else on E* to watch there is a range of channels where 24/7 there are offers they cannot refuse. Unfortunately those are shopping channels.

If the number of Christian channels can be increased ... especially expanded so more variations (such as kids and music channels) are placed on the air ... there is a better chance of being evangelical and actually fulfilling the Great Commission. There are a couple of channels mixed in with all the other stuff on E* ... they stand there like the street preacher, beaconing for someone to listen.

What SkyAngel is now (other than the one free channel on E*) and what SkyAngel IPTV will be is not evangelical ... it is just preaching to the choir. A great choice for those who already have made a decision and others in their household but certainly not a commission filling service. SkyAngel sits in a pew in a church waiting for someone to come in (with their first response being to require an offering before giving any encouragement).

Add to that the non-compete agreement E* had with Sky Angel (and Sky Angel actually enforced through the court system) where E* was strictly prohibited from adding new religious channels. Not only was Sky Angel set up not to be evangelical but they contracted with E* to prevent new channels from being evangelical over the E* system. In essence, they blocked the gospel.

So yes, I really hope that post SkyAngel E* steps in and places many religious channels on their system. Even though the screams from people who would rather have HD or other channels will be loud, there is a "market" for Christian TV. Viewers want it ... even if they don't know they want it.

#63 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:44 PM

Ditto, JL. I've always said that religious channels would be well-served with a bit of attractive secular programming (sports? family-friendly movies?) peppered with advertisements for the channels' other programming or even the channels' brand of religion. But I suspect that there's more money to be made (and expenses to keep low) by preaching to a regular following and soliciting their financial support.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#64 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

I agree that non Christians are not going to pay to receive service. There are shut ins and new Christians who particularly benefit from Christian TV. However many Christians, myself included do not want to watch the secular commercials and scanty dressing that goes along with many of the secula and sports channels

#65 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

SkyAngel CSR referred to the following link, which has much new content about the move to IPTV.

http://www.skyangel....ference=IPTVFAQ

#66 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,721 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

Unfortunately nothing new ... that page is a link off of their main IPTV "sign up" page and has been there for a while.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#67 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:53 AM

the page that is there now is NOT what was there this am. they took it down and put up old info :( Not that the new one was that great but still odd......................

#68 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

There is a rumor on another board that there will be package choices and possibly a free receiver with an 18 month commitment. If anyone can find a link for this from SA please post it.

#69 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:42 PM

Free receiver or not I wouldn't long term commit to anything sky angel is involved with, especially if you have to prepay.

#70 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:23 AM

this makes even less sense, take right from skyangel website:

Disclaimer: HughesNet is currently not compatible with Sky Angel's IPTV service.

#71 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:23 AM

Now that does not make sense. Why would SA be advertising something that when the SA customer gets it then finds out that they cannot do IPTV with it. Somebody needs to get their ducks in a row over at SA!

#72 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:55 AM

Beats me but that is what is on the website. worst prt is that hughes is a 24 month sub so if people already ordered in order to get skyangel they are not going to be happy

Here is the link so you can see it yourself

http://www.skyangel....ce=HughesNet&~=

#73 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:45 PM

I believed you, I was just saying SA does not make sense teaming up with a company that would be a competitor, lol.

#74 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

I just got an email from SA:

Watch Your Mail! An Offer for Your New Sky Angel IPTV Is Coming Soon!

Better TV for a Better You — Sky Angel IPTV!
More Channels. More Choices. More Control.

Sky Angel IPTV reinforces the values you cherish by bringing you more of the Christian and family-friendly networks that inspire you — up from over 30 to over 65 faith and family channels! We anticipate offering our new IPTV service in early January 2008.

Check out what channels have already committed to be a part of our new IPTV lineup —
more channels than ever before:

.Faith Package — TV Channels

Almavision
Angel One
Angel Two
Catholic TV
The Church Channel
Cornerstone TeleVision Network
Credo TV
EWTN Spanish TV
EWTN U.S. TV
Faith TV
God TV Channel
Golden Eagle Broadcasting
Gospel Music Channel
Gospel Music Television Network
Guardian Television Network JCTV
KTV - Kids & Teens TeleVision
La Familia Network
The Miracle Channel
SafeTV Channel
Smile of a Child TV
Spirit Television Network
TBN Enlace USA
Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN)
Total Christian Television (TCT)
Total Living Network (TLN)
TVU Music Television
World Harvest Television
The Worship Network
more to come...

.Faith Package — Radio Channels

All Worship
America’s Talk Satellite Network
Bott Radio Network
CSN International
EWTN Global Catholic Radio
EWTN Radio Cat�lica Mundial
God Listens/KSBJ
His Kids Radio
KTLW Radio Network
Moody Broadcasting Network
Oasis Radio Network
Radio Nueva Vida Network
Radio U
Sacred Favorites
Voice of Jerusalem
Way-FM
Z-73
more to come...

Family Package — TV Channels

Animal Planet
Blue Highways TV
Discovery Channel
Discovery Home
Discovery Kids
Fox Business Network
Fox News Channel
Hallmark Channel Hallmark Movie Channel
Military Channel
NASA TV
Pentagon Channel
QVC
The Sportsman Channel
Visual Arts Network
The Weather Channel

Stay Tuned!
More Information Coming Soon! . . .

Special offers subject to change.

#75 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:15 PM

Notice Liberty still isn't on the list?! I also don't see 3abn. As for the rest most are on DISH family or glorystar

#76 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:19 PM

I just got the same e-mail. It is about time that they are getting some information out and hopefully the next e-mail will tell us what everything is going to cost.

I wonder how long it is going to take them to let all the "lifetime" subscribers know that they are going to get screwed. All of us that read the this board already know that but we are a very small percentage of Sky Angel's "lifetime" subscribers. I mentioned to a couple that I know that has a "lifetime" subscription (but no computer access) what is going to happen and they said, "Sky Angel wouldn't do that, would they?" I think a lot of "lifetime" people are going to be shocked when they hear the news.
Bill R

#77 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

Lets add insult to injury. If I am reading this right US residents will not have on computer IPTV like Canada.

# IPTV technology allows for programming services to be viewed on conventional TVs, personal computers as well as handheld instruments. Sky Angel IPTV will initially be available only through your TV; however we are exploring these viewing options as possible future enhancements to the Sky Angel service.

They will explore this as a "future enhancement", and what enhanced cost too? We saw how well skyangel followed through on its past promises to lifetime members......

#78 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:46 AM

Notice Liberty still isn't on the list?! I also don't see 3abn. As for the rest most are on DISH family or glorystar

If memory serves me correct 3ABN signed a deal with Dish Network several months ago and is in their lineup at their old channel 9710.

#79 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,721 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:47 AM

Memory serves ... 9710 is an E* channel - although that would not prevent SkyAngel from having it on their new service.

#80 OFFLINE   mckennaiii

mckennaiii

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

wonder if they plan to keep the liberty channel in their lineup?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...