Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The New White GUI (Screenshots)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:45 PM

Sorry these have taken so long to get up...
I have been super crazy busy at home....

The images speak for themselves.
This is the new color of the DirecTV interface, that will eventually make it to all their current receiver line: D10/D11/D12, H20/HR20, and R15

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kocuba

kocuba

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:52 PM

Looks good. Nothign earthshattering, but clean. I'll have to give the old GUI one more spin tonight before tomorrows CE.

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:04 PM

Earl,

On the Program Info/Play screenshot it says the program is 23 of 21 in the Prioritizer. How's that possible? :)

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

Earl,

On the Program Info/Play screenshot it says the program is 23 of 21 in the Prioritizer. How's that possible? :)

:)

Way back with one of the very original bugs in the system, I had a problem with the Series Links... and I had some double entries. When I deleted them, the sequence got out of wack.

I was told, I can clear it out by moving every entry around in my series link list, but... I just haven't gotten around to it (not a big deal).
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

it would look good on my Hr20-100

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#6 OFFLINE   JDW

JDW

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:20 PM

Looks good. Thanks for the post.

Very clean. Much easier on the eyes IMO.

#7 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

:)

Way back with one of the very original bugs in the system, I had a problem with the Series Links... and I had some double entries. When I deleted them, the sequence got out of wack.

I was told, I can clear it out by moving every entry around in my series link list, but... I just haven't gotten around to it (not a big deal).

I wonder if it could be a feature. I'd like to see my wife's face if she noticed Dancing With the Stars was 99th out of 25 :)

#8 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:22 AM

Much less dark and depressing. I like it!

#9 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:08 AM

I believe it looks clean and the revised blue doesn't look as dull. But, to be honest, it's the white background that concerns me. If you're watching TV at night with the lights dimmed and hit the Guide or Play button, it seems that the white background will pop awfully hard.

Earl, did the white background give you that impression?

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:30 AM

I believe it looks clean and the revised blue doesn't look as dull. But, to be honest, it's the white background that concerns me. If you're watching TV at night with the lights dimmed and hit the Guide or Play button, it seems that the white background will pop awfully hard.

Earl, did the white background give you that impression?

Not really... It is a littel brighter in a totally dark room... but to me... it is not "that" overwhelming.

I actually really do like the white background, and the blue one now buggs me on my HR20-100 and R15 (don't mind it so much on my SAT-GO)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:48 AM

I'm a bit disappointed that all this is is a color change as what I'd really like to see is a better use of space for the guide information itself.

The Tivo split guide option would have been a great addition (unless patented) so you can see an entire evening's programming one one channel at a glance.

Similarly, so would the ability to turn off the PIP so that more vertical real estate could have been dedicated to showing more than 6 channels at a time in the traditional bar guide.

I guess the thing that is most puzzling is this; the resolution of 720p or 1080p panels and the recent development of larger screen sizes at popular pricepoints means that more users would be able to read slightly smaller text than ever before. This guide looks like a relic from the 4:3 days when only 6 channels of information at-a-time was the responsible thing to build because the resolution was awful. It's 2007 and we've got panels that look better than computer screens from 12 feet away. Build a maxi-guide that puts 12+ channels where those current 6 are.

Posted Image

BJ

#12 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:51 AM

The Tivo split guide option would have been a great addition (unless patented) so you can see an entire evening's programming one one channel at a glance.

While not as fluid as the TiVo version (where you can change the channel while in that guide mode). Highlight a channel number and hit INFO

This will give you a list of all the upcomming shows for that channel
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#13 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:12 AM

BTW...I won't spoil the Tony Awards for you by telling you the outcome, Earl...I'm assuming you were watching the "other Tony" on HBO!:D
What did Shakespeare say? "Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave man... only 500"?

#14 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:50 AM

how about spending less time changing the colors of the guides, menus, etc which isnt a priority and work on the other more important bugs! :)

#15 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,957 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

I'm a bit disappointed that all this is is a color change as what I'd really like to see is a better use of space for the guide information itself.

Similarly, so would the ability to turn off the PIP so that more vertical real estate could have been dedicated to showing more than 6 channels at a time in the traditional bar guide.

I guess the thing that is most puzzling is this; the resolution of 720p or 1080p panels and the recent development of larger screen sizes at popular pricepoints means that more users would be able to read slightly smaller text than ever before. This guide looks like a relic from the 4:3 days when only 6 channels of information at-a-time was the responsible thing to build because the resolution was awful. It's 2007 and we've got panels that look better than computer screens from 12 feet away. Build a maxi-guide that puts 12+ channels where those current 6 are.

Earlier this year, I tried out the web browser (Beta) on the Wii, and was disappointed by the resolution while trying to read Web Pages on a 50-inch SDTV, yet only a few months later, I was impressed by how easy it was to read webpages on the PS3's web browser (even on the same TV)... so I'm not sure how much of it is actually the output resolution and how much of it is the people who write the software.

That being said, I've had DirecTV receivers in the past that have had the option to turn off PIG (Picture-In-Guide) to allow more room for information as well as room for (I think) 2 more channels. I always kept the guide in as I was fine with the amount of channels, but I think it's a nice option to have for those wanting more...

~Alan

#16 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

The images speak for themselves.
This is the new color of the DirecTV interface, that will eventually make it to all their current receiver line: D10/D11/D12, H20/HR20, and R15

I've stated (on several occasions) my criticisms of the HR20, and while not one of the more important ones, the GUI has certainly been a vocal one of mine... but I much prefer this new look over the old one.

GOOD WORK, DIRECTV!!

In the past, I've criticized the "DirecTV" interface of being too "DOS" looking (as it reminded me of some DOS programs I've had in the past, as well as some OLDER DirecTV receivers I've had) which I felt was strange given the fact that we're living in the 21st century, and the "DirecTV" interface just seemed outdated considering Windows XP, Vista, Mac OS's, TiVo, PS3's XMB, etc... but even these few subtle changes has really helped the GUI, IMHO.

The previous colors also seemed a bit too "harsh" for my tastes as everything appeared too dark (an issue I had with an RCA receiver years ago) and the font color didn't work well with it. However, just lightening up the colors and the new design style at the top has greatly improved the look.

I do still have a few issues with the GUI, namely the small fonts/icons in the playlist, as well as a lack of channel logos on the playlist/channel guide, and I think the "orange" color in the progress bar looks out of place, but other than that, I think the new GUI looks really good. Again, I state, GOOD JOB, DIRECTV!!

Note: I'm fixing to get either tomorrow or the next day, some supplies to run new RG-6 coaxial in anticipation of getting the HR20. The reasons are several, as I intend on having the KA/KU dish installed in a different location than the Phase III due to a possible expansion of the deck to where the Phase III is located at the moment, to replace one of the lines running to the room where the HR20 will be located to Quad-cable to match the second line, and to run a dedicated antenna line to the Living Room for use with the relocated HR10-250 and TiVo Series 3 HD-DVR (that I'm receiving tomorrow), as well as the running of a new line from the antenna to a bedroom that will have a LCD with a digital tuner on it, and to put in wall plates instead direct lines from the floor like I have now since we're putting in new laminate flooring in some of the rooms. After this work is completed, I will playing CSR Roulette to try and get a good deal on a HR20... so I should be able to test out this new GUI soon enough... hopefully...

~Alan

#17 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:27 PM

how about spending less time changing the colors of the guides, menus, etc which isnt a priority and work on the other more important bugs! :)

...For me, the dated-looking GUI has always been one of my biggest pet peeves.
What did Shakespeare say? "Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave man... only 500"?

#18 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

gee, I hope they didn't spend a lot of time on that... :zzz: Maybe I'm just spoiled because I've seen much better from none D* (or Hughes) receivers almost 10 years ago. The first Sony D* receiver I had (probably a 2nd gen receiver) allowed the user to choose a color theme, the detail of the program info (less info showed more channels per page) and % transparency for the GUI. When in the guide, you had a full screen image behind, thus the reason for the transparency choice. The only flaw on that guide was the background picture changed to whatever was highlighted in the guide... Guess you can't have everything... ;)

While we're asking for GUI updates... How about more horizontal (time) info? For example, the Sony HD300 is smart enough to know whether the active display is 4:3 or 16:9. When it's 16:9, it shows 2 hours of program guide, not just stretching the 90 minutes to fit...

#19 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:07 PM

Maybe I'm just spoiled because I've seen much better from none D* (or Hughes) receivers almost 10 years ago. The first Sony D* receiver I had (probably a 2nd gen receiver) allowed the user to choose a color theme, the detail of the program info (less info showed more channels per page) and % transparency for the GUI. When in the guide, you had a full screen image behind, thus the reason for the transparency choice. The only flaw on that guide was the background picture changed to whatever was highlighted in the guide... Guess you can't have everything... ;)

I do believe you are referring to the Sony B-65 receiver... my favorite (non-TiVo) GUI. There was a way around what you were talking about though...

~Alan

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:36 PM

I think that, long term, you would find that the rework of the GUI was more than cosmetic and is in anticipation of some new features (at least one big one).
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...