Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is it technologically possible for the HR20 to allow one to have more IR codesets?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

OK, I have one HR20 right now, along with an HR10-250, taking care of my HD needs for the time being. I also have a couple of SD DirecTivos.

All of my DVRs are in the same room, hooked up to the same TV (plus I distribute the signals via a channel modulatore to other rooms in the house).

If I wind up replacing my SD boxes, I'll probably wind up with HR20s - and my understanding is that you can only have two of them in a room together (does that mean that they have two different IR codesets, or is that accomplished via RF? - RF is not something I would want to have to use - I control everything via a Harmony remote right now, and I'm satisfied with it).

So my question is - could DirecTV send down an update that would allow the HR20 to respond to different codesets? That is one cool thing with these Tivos - I think there are something like 9 different codes to choose from (the Sony models only had 3 I think).
Brett

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,009 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

The HR20 can be set to respond to one of two IR codes, so you can put two of them in the same room and control them with IR.

The HR20 can also be set to respond to RF, and you can put as many HR20's as you want in the same room using RF, but will run into issues with regard to which, and how many, remotes you will need.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:04 PM

OK, 2 IR codesets is a lot better than 1 of them!

I guess since I posted this in this section, I should convert this to a wishlist request.

Here it is:

If it's possible, I'd like for the HR20s to be able to respond to 3 or more IR codesets.
Brett

#4 OFFLINE   Richard Chalk

Richard Chalk

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:07 PM

OK, I have one HR20 right now, along with an HR10-250, taking care of my HD needs for the time being. I also have a couple of SD DirecTivos.

All of my DVRs are in the same room, hooked up to the same TV (plus I distribute the signals via a channel modulatore to other rooms in the house).

If I wind up replacing my SD boxes, I'll probably wind up with HR20s - and my understanding is that you can only have two of them in a room together (does that mean that they have two different IR codesets, or is that accomplished via RF? - RF is not something I would want to have to use - I control everything via a Harmony remote right now, and I'm satisfied with it).

So my question is - could DirecTV send down an update that would allow the HR20 to respond to different codesets? That is one cool thing with these Tivos - I think there are something like 9 different codes to choose from (the Sony models only had 3 I think).

I have three of them in the same location. My approach was to use the TheaterMaster remote with the RF repeater controller. The receiver has six "blaster" outputs, which can be individually assigned to specific devices. I simply attached one blaster to each receiver, and assigned them to Sat1, Sat2, and Sat3.

This also has the advantage that I can control them individually from anywhere in the house.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...