Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about my new HR-20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stususs

stususs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:00 PM

I live 25 miles west of Philadelphia and 50 miles east of Lancaster, PA. With my OTA antenna and the DTC-100, I was able to tune in the analog version of Channel 8 in Lancaster. With the HR-20 when I tune channel 8, I receive the message "channel not available." Because I am in the Philadelphia market, Channel 8 is not among my list of available analog channels. The option to scan for and select off-air channels produces a list of only receivable digital channels. Since I cannot receive the digital version of channel 8, that channel does not show up in my off-air list. So, how do I tune in analog channel 8?

I have a 6 year old monitor, the RCA MM36100, that receives an HD signal only through a 15 pin VGA input. I needed to purchase a component to VGA transcoder, the V-Digi VD-Z3 connecting the component cable from the HR-20 and the VGA cable to the monitor. The best picture is with transcoder switches 2, 4 and 6 set in the "on" position. However, there is a noticeable flicker in the image.
Any suggestions on how to eliminate the flicker?

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

For your first question, I first want to clarify something you said. I think you want the digital channel 8 over the air, not analog, correct? If you really meant analog, I don't think the HR20 is able to tune in analog channels.

Assuming you meant digital, I see that channel 8 NBC does have channel 8.1 broadcasting out of Lancaster. In order to get that channel to appear in your channel list, go back into antenna set-up in your HR20 and choose a secondondary area for OTA channels. I personally don't have a secondary area, but if you can't figure out how to set it, I'm sure others on the board can help you out.

I have no experience for your second question, but have you tried an HDMI to VGA adapter?

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:43 AM

I live 25 miles west of Philadelphia and 50 miles east of Lancaster, PA. With my OTA antenna and the DTC-100, I was able to tune in the analog version of Channel 8 in Lancaster. With the HR-20 when I tune channel 8, I receive the message "channel not available." Because I am in the Philadelphia market, Channel 8 is not among my list of available analog channels. The option to scan for and select off-air channels produces a list of only receivable digital channels. Since I cannot receive the digital version of channel 8, that channel does not show up in my off-air list. So, how do I tune in analog channel 8?

I have a 6 year old monitor, the RCA MM36100, that receives an HD signal only through a 15 pin VGA input. I needed to purchase a component to VGA transcoder, the V-Digi VD-Z3 connecting the component cable from the HR-20 and the VGA cable to the monitor. The best picture is with transcoder switches 2, 4 and 6 set in the "on" position. However, there is a noticeable flicker in the image.
Any suggestions on how to eliminate the flicker?

Thank you.

You can add a secondary zip code (e.g Lancaster) to your HR20 and it will add to the guide the OTA stations for that secondary zip. Then you can edit out any you don't receive. But of course you may not be able to receive channel 8 digital in your location and with your antenna, I had read somewhere it's one of the worst digital signals in the area.

And yes, the HR20 does not have an analog tuner. It's a digital recorder so could not record analog signals even if it had an NTSC tuner, it would need an analog to digital converter and with analog going away in 2009 that would be a waste of money for most people.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...