Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HBO: All 26 Channels In HD

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

HBO: All 26 Channels In HD

Washington, D.C. (June 12, 2007) -- HBO has announced that it will make all 26 HBO and Cinemax feeds available in High-Definition.

The network already transmits some channels in high-def, including the East and West feeds of HBO and Cinemax.

See the rest at: TVPredictions
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

Great news. I wonder how many of them we will have by year end.

#3 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

Question for me is, will DTV broadcast all the HBO channels, including Comedy and Zone, which they currently don't even have SD feeds.

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

According to the article it looks like at least 11 of them by years end (Reading between the lines of course)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:17 PM

According to the article it looks like at least 11 of them by years end (Reading between the lines of course)

I would be happy with that.

#6 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:23 PM

No need to read between the lines. D* will add 10 more HBO/Cinemax channels to the HBOHD already carried to reach 11.

DIRECTV to Carry 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels In HD
http://www.tvpredict...tvhbo061207.htm
HBO West
HBO2 West
HBO2 East
HBO Family East
HBO Family West
HBO Latino
HBO Signature
Cinemax East
Cinemax West
MoreMax

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:39 PM

Continue the DirecTV aspect of this announcement here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=89727

In this thread, we can talk about the impact to the overal landscape of HD programming.

At the start of 2007... people where going "Huh?" how can DirecTV offer 100 channels... they are not even that many out there...

Well in one single "announcement"... 1/4 of that "possible channels" now has an answer.

This is a BIG deal for the landscape of HD programming...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,273 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:35 PM

Where? :lol:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,586 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

While I do empathise with folks on the West coast who want more time-friendly feeds... Slightly less than half of the HBO/Cinemax HD channels will be 3-hours-delayed duplicates (East vs West feeds)... so it seems a shame to use precious HD bandwidth for 26 channels when about 16 would really show all the unique content HBO/MAX has to offer.

In the long-term, having East and West feeds is good... but while bandwidth is at a premium I think most folks would rather have unique first before duplication.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:12 PM

Not sure if it's known yet...

But would these channels be available to those with at least the new HD reciever and only a 3LNB dish? Or would the new 5LNB dish be needed to possibly get these channels?

#11 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:15 PM

Not sure if it's known yet...

But would these channels be available to those with at least the new HD reciever and only a 3LNB dish? Or would the new 5LNB dish be needed to possibly get these channels?

All new channels will require the 5lnb dish.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#12 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:23 PM

All new channels will require the 5lnb dish.

With regards to DirecTV......
I do not know the logistics for DishNetwork.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#13 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:58 AM

Where? :lol:

Where, what? Nick you did not refer to a post with this cryptic message, and I am confused about what you are "whereing" about.:nono2:

#14 OFFLINE   cbearnm

cbearnm

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:59 AM

Where the heck is HBO Comedy ?

I have been barking at them for over 2 years and I was sure that when the HD feeds were available they would be there. Come on D*!

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,586 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:16 PM

Probably also worth mentioning here... In the several years of HBOHD, they still are not showing 100% original-aspect-ratio when showing HD... and still produce some in-house programming in SD and upconvert. With the semi-regular complaints I see about this, I wonder how they will actually use HD on all their channels to be of value?

Personally... Rather than just having 26 HD "simulcasts" of their SD... I would much rather see them just introduce something like HBOHD/HBO2HD/MAXHD/MAX2HD, and on those 4 channels show nothing but HD all the time. That would seem a more efficient and better quality product.

#16 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:07 PM

Where the heck is HBO Comedy ?

I have been barking at them for over 2 years and I was sure that when the HD feeds were available they would be there. Come on D*!

you will get all the HBOS
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#17 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:12 PM

Probably also worth mentioning here... In the several years of HBOHD, they still are not showing 100% original-aspect-ratio when showing HD... and still produce some in-house programming in SD and upconvert. With the semi-regular complaints I see about this, I wonder how they will actually use HD on all their channels to be of value?

Personally... Rather than just having 26 HD "simulcasts" of their SD... I would much rather see them just introduce something like HBOHD/HBO2HD/MAXHD/MAX2HD, and on those 4 channels show nothing but HD all the time. That would seem a more efficient and better quality product.

How is that more efficient? They have to come up with programming for the HD channels? And why would they want to relegate some of their original programming to back-water (SD) channels.

But, I have seen more OAR on HBO recently. Including movies I know I have seen not OAR in the past. I think the HBO tide is turning.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,586 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:30 PM

How is that more efficient? They have to come up with programming for the HD channels? And why would they want to relegate some of their original programming to back-water (SD) channels.

If you don't think my suggestion for only 4 HD channels is efficient, how in the world is 26 HD channels efficient?

My point was that there is not enough HD on HBO to fill 4 channels, much less the 26 they will convert to soon.

As for "relegating" their original programming to "back-water" SD channels... Well, what's the point in showing them on an HD channel if they are not HD? Showing SD on an HD channels only waters down the HD channel! If they really want their original programming to shine, and want to put it on their HD channel... then they should make it in HD!

#19 OFFLINE   taylorhively

taylorhively

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

While I do empathise with folks on the West coast who want more time-friendly feeds... Slightly less than half of the HBO/Cinemax HD channels will be 3-hours-delayed duplicates (East vs West feeds)... so it seems a shame to use precious HD bandwidth for 26 channels when about 16 would really show all the unique content HBO/MAX has to offer.

In the long-term, having East and West feeds is good... but while bandwidth is at a premium I think most folks would rather have unique first before duplication.

I would fully agree with you there. I live in the Pacific time zone and I could care less about west coast feeds of movie channels. Orig. programing, prime time shows (as in networks, etc.) is another story. But with movie channels I record them, so I don't care if they're on at 3am.

However, in the big picture the cable companies do not necessarily carry east and west coast feeds. Many of them carry only the west feeds only. So HBO needs to feed HD channels to those customers. Us on satellite are lucky to have both time zones.

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,586 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

However, in the big picture the cable companies do not necessarily carry east and west coast feeds. Many of them carry only the west feeds only. So HBO needs to feed HD channels to those customers. Us on satellite are lucky to have both time zones.

That's true... It makes sense if a cable company carried just east or west as appropriate... but I think the cable companies usually carry both east/west feeds regardless of where they are instead of just picking the one and saving the bandwidth.

Of course if something else floating in the rumor mill (may be official but I am not sure since I just saw it in passing), and HBO is considering moving to MPEG4 instead of MPEG2, then perhaps bandwidth is not an issue for them anymore.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...