Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 will not boot...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crankin

crankin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

Every time it gets to the "Checking satellite connections...Almost done" phase, it freezes and will not do anything. This is a brand new problem as of today - I have had this HR20 for about a month now and it has worked perfectly. All of a sudden, it wouldn't start, so I did a reset, and now this. I've reset it many times, unplugged (leaving it unplugged for at least a half hour) and nothing works. Any ideas? Or just call DirectV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

Every time it gets to the "Checking satellite connections...Almost done" phase, it freezes and will not do anything. This is a brand new problem as of today - I have had this HR20 for about a month now and it has worked perfectly. All of a sudden, it wouldn't start, so I did a reset, and now this. I've reset it many times, unplugged (leaving it unplugged for at least a half hour) and nothing works. Any ideas? Or just call DirectV?

I would suggest trying all of your coax connections to be sure you have a good contact. Maybe unhook and reconnect. Is there any chance the dish could have been knocked/blown out of alignment?

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#3 OFFLINE   crankin

crankin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:53 PM

My other receivers seem to be working fine. I will try adjusting the coax cables.

#4 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

Also, try swapping the cable on the back of the HR20.

#5 OFFLINE   crankin

crankin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

Now it will boot but when I go to the Guide it tells me I have no channels in my favorites list (and I cannot add any). It goes through the "Acquiring Guide" step just fine, but then there are no channels available.

#6 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:31 PM

Are there channels if you change favorites to all? If not, what is your signal stregth?

#7 OFFLINE   crankin

crankin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

It is set to all channels for favorites. When I go to system test, I get "acquired...0%" for tuner 1. It makes no sense... I have changed nothing and it worked this morning and now it does not. I also noticed that when I go into my menu, the "Access Card" option is grayed out. I never noticed if that was normal or not. Could reformatting solve this? How do I reformat an HR20?

#8 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:14 AM

I don't think you need to do that. I think the problem is that it is not getting a signal from the sat. Do you have another receiver? If so, try plugging that receiver in here so see if it has the same issues. If it does then it could be a wiring issue or a bad multi switch or bad LNB. Let me know what you find out.

#9 OFFLINE   crankin

crankin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:28 AM

I haven't tried using a different receiver yet (will do that next), but now it gives me only 34 channels. None work, but they are in the guide.

#10 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:50 AM

How many receiver's do you have? Also, what type of dish?

#11 OFFLINE   crankin

crankin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

Well... I finally got it working. To make a very long story short, I did not have the correct coax cable plugged into the multiswitch for one of the tuners of the HR20.

Now, I get all my channels, everything works, except one little new issue: when I hit Guide, only "All Channels" is available for the filter. I no longer can sort by HDTV, Sports, Movies, etc. I think I might've messed something up when it wasn't working and I was trying all sorts of things in the Menu. But now I cannot figure out what I would've done to eliminate all of the default filters.

#12 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:49 AM

Great!! Glad to hear you got it working. As, for the filters, does it just go to the guide when you hit the guide button and doesn't bring the categories up?

#13 OFFLINE   crankin

crankin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

No, it was going to the filters but only showing 'All channels.' But I went through the satellite setup once again and it now works. So thanks for all the suggestions!

PS: Is there a way to bypass the filters screen and go straight to the guide? I have actually wondered that because I find it somewhat annoying when I always choose all channels to have to go through the filter every time. My last receiver did not make me do so.

#14 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:42 PM

Yes there is. But, I am at work now and I can't remember how to do it. I will check when I go home and let you know. Unless someone else here post how to do before I get home.

Glad to help!!

#15 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

Ok, here is how you do it. On the front panel on your HR20 hit menu + info button at the same time and release. Then it will bring up a hidden window. Scroll down to the Guide key and hit select. Then on "Guide key action" you want it set to: Show grid screen first.

Let me know if this works for you.

#16 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

• Moderators
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:50 PM

Ok, here is how you do it. On the front panel on your HR20 hit menu + info button at the same time and release. Then it will bring up a hidden window. Scroll down to the Guide key and hit select. Then on "Guide key action" you want it set to: Show grid screen first.

Let me know if this works for you.

But first you have to go to the menu-->search-->keyword-->type "IAMANEDGECUTTER"-->continue-->when it finds nothing press and hold menu and info button on the front of the unit for 2 seconds and let go. That will bring up the hidden menu.

#17 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

But first you have to go to the menu-->search-->keyword-->type "IAMANEDGECUTTER"-->continue-->when it finds nothing press and hold menu and info button on the front of the unit for 2 seconds and let go. That will bring up the hidden menu.

Oh, yes. That is true. I forgot about that part. Thanks for the correction BMoreRavens.

#18 OFFLINE   crankin

crankin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:16 PM

Success! That's awesome that you can change other settings like how fast it scrolls (I prefer the fastest w/o any scrolling). Thanks again for the tips.

#19 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:47 PM

No problem!! Have fun.

spam firewall