Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA/Sat Combiner and Splitter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1ClemsonTiger

1ClemsonTiger

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

So...I upgraded to the HR20 from my HR10-250 and have run into a problem with my "master plan" to clean up my home theater wiring. While trying to use a combiner/splitter for OTA and Sat feeds, I determined that the combiners/splitters are apparently filtering my high frequency (>50) local OTA frequencies.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this setup given the apparent filtering of the high frequencies?

Thank you!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:51 PM

So...I upgraded to the HR20 from my HR10-250 and have run into a problem with my "master plan" to clean up my home theater wiring. While trying to use a combiner/splitter for OTA and Sat feeds, I determined that the combiners/splitters are apparently filtering my high frequency (>50) local OTA frequencies.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this setup given the apparent filtering of the high frequencies?

Thank you!

If you mean diplexers, if they are the correct ones they should not be filtering out the high frequencies. But it's a moot point anyway, because diplexing will not work once DirecTV10 launches in early July and starts transmitting signals which come from the LNB in the b-band. That frequency band overlaps OTA and so your diplexing will fail. You need to run a separate coax from your OTA antenna, through an OTA splitter or distribution amplifier, with separate OTA cables to your receivers.

#3 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:19 AM

If you mean diplexers, if they are the correct ones they should not be filtering out the high frequencies. But it's a moot point anyway, because diplexing will not work once DirecTV10 launches in early July and starts transmitting signals which come from the LNB in the b-band. That frequency band overlaps OTA and so your diplexing will fail. You need to run a separate coax from your OTA antenna, through an OTA splitter or distribution amplifier, with separate OTA cables to your receivers.

Or wait for SWM [Single Wire Multiswitch] later this year [3Q to 4Q]. There is a thread in the CE forum where some forum members are testing this device...

http://www.dbstalk.c...t=81489&page=37

It "may" work out that you will be able to get this device shortly after the new satellite goes operational.

Cheers,
John

#4 OFFLINE   1ClemsonTiger

1ClemsonTiger

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

Or wait for SWM [Single Wire Multiswitch] later this year [3Q to 4Q]. There is a thread in the CE forum where some forum members are testing this device...

It "may" work out that you will be able to get this device shortly after the new satellite goes operational.

Cheers,
John

Thank you for your insight.

#5 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:08 PM

Put your BBC converters after your Multi-switch and the diplexers after that.

Look at this thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=88202
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#6 OFFLINE   1ClemsonTiger

1ClemsonTiger

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:02 PM

Put your BBC converters after your Multi-switch and the diplexers after that.

Many thanks for the info. So, let me get this straight...BBC Converters are the same as the b-band converters that came in my HR20 box? If so, is your suggested setup going to work once DTV starts transmitting the new content later this year? Just trying to determine if this is a short-term fix or if it will work in the long-run.

Also, why would one diplexer work better than another if they are rated for the same frequencies? With that said, is the CM pair compatible with the upcoming transmissions?

Sorry for the "basic" questions...thank you for your help.

#7 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

There is a 99.9% chance that diplexing OTA will stop once D10 starts transmitting. It won't matter where you put the BBCs.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#8 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:29 PM

There is a 99.9% chance that diplexing OTA will stop once D10 starts transmitting. It won't matter where you put the BBCs.

And that is based upon what information? The B-Band converters move the sat freqs that are being transmitted in the same freq as OTA to freqs that are not where OTA is.
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#9 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

Many thanks for the info. So, let me get this straight...BBC Converters are the same as the b-band converters that came in my HR20 box? If so, is your suggested setup going to work once DTV starts transmitting the new content later this year? Just trying to determine if this is a short-term fix or if it will work in the long-run.

Also, why would one diplexer work better than another if they are rated for the same frequencies? With that said, is the CM pair compatible with the upcoming transmissions?

Sorry for the "basic" questions...thank you for your help.

Diplexers take out gain. The CMs take out less. If it is short-term solution the all you are out is about 20 bucks. The SWM switch will be out shortly after the new satellite begins transmissions. It is provides a means for diplexing OTA "out of the box"
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998

#10 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

And that is based upon what information? The B-Band converters move the sat freqs that are being transmitted in the same freq as OTA to freqs that are not where OTA is.

Thats what I'm being told by D*.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#11 OFFLINE   1ClemsonTiger

1ClemsonTiger

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

Diplexers take out gain. The CMs take out less. If it is short-term solution the all you are out is about 20 bucks. The SWM switch will be out shortly after the new satellite begins transmissions. It is provides a means for diplexing OTA "out of the box"

Any feel for how successful I will be with frequencies in the 50-65 range using the CM pair? These are the ones I was losing with my other diplexers.

Also, what is the expected cost of the SWM switch?

Again, thank you!

#12 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

Any feel for how successful I will be with frequencies in the 50-65 range using the CM pair? These are the ones I was losing with my other diplexers.

Also, what is the expected cost of the SWM switch?

Again, thank you!

just try it and see. It was the best 20 bucks that i have spent in a while.
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998

spam firewall