Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is the Best Harmony Remote for the HR20?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Baconbeard

Baconbeard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:18 AM

Sorry if this has been posted and addressed numerous times in the past, but this is my first time on the board. I am considering purchasing a universal remote, but before I do, I wanted to see how well the Harmony remotes work with the HR20.

I would be buying one to operate my Sony KDS60A2000, the HR20, Pioneer Elite A/V Receiver, my LG DVD player and Sony VCR.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:35 AM

I would suggest looking at the keys and their position. For me the 880 is kind of a pain to use, as the button positions are not easy for me to use by feel.

The other two options you have to look at are RF capable (no, the Harmony won't use RF for the HR20, instead it sends an RF signal to a little box that transmits IR signals to your devices.). The other option is rechargability, the 880 is rechargable. But personally, I use rechargable AAA batteries in my remotes.

But other than that, the harmony remotes all work the same. A bit different for button position and LCD size/picture (880 is color, others are black and white). But the functionality is the same.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:45 AM

If you can find them, by far the best are the 785 and 885. They are European models (the 885 is almost identical to the 880) and have the four colored buttons, just like the HR20 remote. I have the 880 and absolutely love it. I was holding out for the 885 but gave up on it. If you can find one, you'll be extremely happy with it.

#4 OFFLINE   sshams95

sshams95

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:59 AM

I use the 880 with my HR20 without any issues. Got mine for $100 at Amazon.com, it was a refurbished item so I had to go through a little pain in replacing the charging cradle, but Logitech got it out pretty quick.

#5 OFFLINE   chris89c

chris89c

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:01 PM

I also have a 880 and find it a little awkward to use the fast forward and rewind buttons. They are smooth and too far down on the remote. I also do not like that it does not have activity buttons on the remote. I prefer my 676, it is not as flashy as the 880 but the ff and rw buttons are up higher and are easier to use. I like the rubber buttons. It also has 3 built in activity buttons on the top. If you are patient you can find sales on these. I got the 880 from amazon as a refurb for $100 and the 676 for $80 after rebate.

#6 OFFLINE   Larry G

Larry G

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:04 PM

I use the 688. I've had it for a year. Put all the other remotes in a drawer and haven't looked at 'em since. I think whichever Harmony you get you'll be very happy.

#7 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

I like my 880 for the HR20, the 8 customizable buttons on the screen are nice for the extra "colored" buttons its lacking, and the IR on the 880 is much stronger than on the HR20 remote. I do agree that the button layout is a little bit awkward but once you get used to it its not a big deal. I also have a 676 and it works great too, just not as "high tech" as the 880. Got my 880 new from Dell on a special last year $118, I believe.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#8 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 855 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:16 PM

If you can find them, by far the best are the 785 and 885. They are European models (the 885 is almost identical to the 880) and have the four colored buttons, just like the HR20 remote. I have the 880 and absolutely love it. I was holding out for the 885 but gave up on it. If you can find one, you'll be extremely happy with it.

You can get them on ebay.uk but I am not spending $385! :eek2:

#9 OFFLINE   ajwillys

ajwillys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

You may be able to buy it right off Logitech's website although they no longer have the four colored buttons that made them desirable to match with Directv's remotes. The 785 and 555 still do though.

http://www.logitech....motes/&cl=gb,en
AT9->WB68->HR20 and (2) R15's
Networked, HR20 Audio->Optical Digital->Pioneer VSX-D812K, HR20 Video->6' HDMI->Sony KDS-50A2000
R15's->Composite->TV's not worth mentioning

#10 OFFLINE   jutley

jutley

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:27 PM

A teaser...

I just bought the 890, but haven't had any time to play with it as I was out of town last week. I'll get it setup this week and let you know what I think. I bought the 890 mostly because it has the RF capability and I don't think the IR will work well in my new entertainment center.

More later...
--Justin

SWiM3 Dish - (2) HR20-700s - (1) R16-300

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Baconbeard

Baconbeard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:28 PM

Will these remotes do everything the HR20 remote does, or do you find yourself having to go back to the old remote for certain items?

Further, how well do these remotes work with stereo systems. I have a Pioneer Elite receiver and wonder if the Harmony will control that device for things other than volume.

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:35 PM

Will these remotes do everything the HR20 remote does, or do you find yourself having to go back to the old remote for certain items?

Further, how well do these remotes work with stereo systems. I have a Pioneer Elite receiver and wonder if the Harmony will control that device for things other than volume.

I have the HR20 remotes in a drawer, robbed of their batteries.

#13 OFFLINE   sshams95

sshams95

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:38 PM

I think you'll find that you will have all the codes you need. Even if you can't find them, you can customize buttons and commands. As stated in other posts, you will definitely put away all your remotes, which made my wife very happy!

#14 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

I have the Harmony 880 and it works great. Since buying it and setting it up completely -- the original set up was done in less than an hour -- four months ago, I haven't had to use any of the five remotes (used to be six) it replaced. (My system equipment is in my sig.)
Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireStick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.

#15 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

I bought the Harmony 720 (which is basically the same as the 880) and it works wonderfully! It even controls my Octava 3X2 HDMI switcher.

The Harmony is hands down the best universal remote I have ever used.

#16 OFFLINE   TomDavis

TomDavis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:51 PM

I have had an 880 since they first came out. I have a Sony 62", Sony ES Receiver, Toshiba DVD, Sony VCR, Sony CD and an HR20 (before that a Comcast DVR). You enter your equipment numbers on their website and answer a few questions regarding how you use the equipment. Once that is done you are good to go. I have never had to use the factory remotes for any function.

You will have to do a little custom adjustment for the HR20 but it is easy enough and there are plenty of threads on any issue you may encounter.

If my remote broke I would replace it with another immediately. The only problem is your wife will be able to operate all the gadgets without you and will not give you control again!

Good Luck,

Tom Davis

#17 OFFLINE   Baconbeard

Baconbeard

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the great responses. Any advice on the best places to find one?

The genesis of this post is that I am having some new home theater equipment installed this weekend, and they plan on running all the video through the receiver to cut down on the wires.....plus I can then operate everything through the receiver.

But I don't really like that idea and will probably run everything directly from the source to the TV like I always have and pick up a Harmony remote.

Thanks again.

#18 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

I have the 890 and was able to duplicate everything on the HR20s control with ease. It also controls my Denon Receiver, Sony TV and Sony DVD/VCR combo quite well.
The RF works nicely.
The only downside to the whole thing is having to update both the base station and the remote each time you make a change...of course once you get the thing setup you shouldn't have to do that again.

Solid remote...well worth the money.

#19 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

I have the 670. It works everything in my sig without a single problem. The only thing I DO wish it had is the 4 color buttons. It's not a biggie, I programmed them into the menu, but it would be nice to have dedicated buttons. Like others said, quick setup, and I probably spent another hour "fine tuning" all the additional buttons and options I use the most. Definitely 2 thumbs up on the Harmony remotes!
H20, HR20, HR21

#20 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:01 PM

I got my 880 from Amazon in February for about $125 after rebate and with free shipping. Love it!!! I even have a one button "macro" set up that pulls up my To Do List on the HR-20. By the way, I don't use the "standard" slip and jump back buttons on the 880 - I re-assigned those funtions to the Up and Down keys right below the navigation "circle". Seems like a very natural place for those 2 functions for me.
<p>HR44-700 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | DECA | SWiM | Harmony One | HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880 | HR24-100 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880

Protected By... spam firewall...And...