Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio problem.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scoly

scoly

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:02 AM

New here and excited about all the info available.

Installed the 622 and am having a problem with audio when I switch from a hd channel to a sd channel. When on the hd channel my pre shows and delivers dolby digital sound but when I change to a sd channel the pre still shows dd but I get no sound. At this point I must change the pre from the satellite source to any other source and back to satellite. The pre then recognizes the audio and shows pro logic and delivers sound.

Has anyone experienced this and is there a solution?
Thanks
Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:51 AM

By "pre" are you talking about an A/V receiver? What brand and model are you using? Are you using the TOS cable or an HDMI connection?

I most likely can't help you but if you post the additional information someone else may be running the same configuration that can help.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

:welcome_s scoly.

What you are describing is not normal. More info in terms of your A/V receiver and type of connection will be helpful. Perhaps someone has the same model and can provide their experiences. If you are using HDMI, I would try going optical and seeing if the receiver behaves the same way. What happens when you go for DD to PCM on commercials on the Same HD channel. Do you lose audio then?

This feels like a localized issue between the receiver and 622, but getting more info might help specially if somoene else has the same receiver.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   scoly

scoly

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:15 PM

Probably should have known to supply this info in the first post. Thanks for the advise.

Equiptment and connections:

VIP 622 connected to a B&K Reference 20 Pre amp by Optical cable and RCA connections. I think that the RCA was connected after finding I had a problem. Do not believe this should be necessary since I believe that analog is sent over the optical.

During setup I specified "dolby digital Automatic" which is supposed to detect dd and change to a different mode if necessary. This is what the manual says regarding this:

Set Surround Operation - Most users wll prefer the factory setting - AUTOMATIC. In this mode the A/V System
Controller automatically sets the surround mode to full 5.1 channel operation (or as many as permitted by your
speaker setup) whenever a Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream is detected regardless of what surround mode you
have selected. For example, load your CD changer with a normal PCM CD, a DTS CD, and another normal PCM
CD and set the surround mode to 3-STEREO. While the PCM CD is playing you will get sound from the front and
center speakers only. When the disc changes to the DTS CD you will get sound from front, center, and rear. When
the third (PCM) CD starts the A/V System Controller returns to 3-STEREO. Note that if a Dolby Digital or DTS
source is currently playing and you change the surround mode the A/V System Controller will stay in the selected
surround mode until you change to another disc. In MANUAL mode the chosen surround mode remains set
regardless of the bitstream detected. In the above example only the front and center speakers would be used on
all three CDs even though the DTS CD was capable of providing full 5 channel sound. Note that the rear channel
information is not lost. It is simply mixed into the front speakers.

622 to TV (Sony 60A2020) by HDMI for the video.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Steve

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:04 PM

Don't have this receiver, but I an tell you that most of these type of issues that come into this forum usually turn out to be receiver miss-configuration issues. Here is what I would try.

1) I just read your post over... First check the 622 and make sure you Dolby setting is DD/PCM.
2) Restart your receiver. Unplug and plug it back in so you are starting from square one.
3) Remove your analog inputs (RCA) to make sure that is not confusing your receiver.
4) Change this setting to manual and see what if you get the output on the SD channel.

Based on re-reading your post and not knowing if you get audio during PCM commercials over your HD channel, you might have your 622 DD setting wrong. Like I said. Needs to be DD/PCM and no you don't need the 622 RCA outputs hooked up. You should get audio for both PCM/DD over your optical when your 622 is set for DD/PCM.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   scoly

scoly

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

Ron,
Thanks for the suggestions. Like you, I feel this is a problem with the way I have things set. Will use your suggestions and see what happens.
Steve

#7 OFFLINE   greensonor

greensonor

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:02 AM

Ron,
Thanks for the suggestions. Like you, I feel this is a problem with the way I have things set. Will use your suggestions and see what happens.
Steve

I have a B&K Ref50 S2 and have had the same problem you mention. I thought it was the 622 but have since determined that it's the B&K. I've had 3 622s and they all did the same thing. What I wound up having to do is convert the optical signal to coax via a converter readily available. You just plug in the optical cable on one side, a coax cable on the other side and you have conversion. I think the B&K is picky with optical signals. My Denon dvd player via optical has no audio. When using coax, it's fine.

Hope this helps,

Chris

#8 OFFLINE   scoly

scoly

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

Chris,
My apologies for not responding sooner. Thanks for the input. Will have to find the optical to coax converter and give it a try. This situation is driving us nuts. What a pain.
I do use an optical from my dvd player and all is fine but there is no situation that it needs to go back and forth.
Thanks again.
Steve

#9 OFFLINE   scoly

scoly

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

Just a follow-up on my problem.
Chris,
Thanks again for the converter suggestion. Received it Wednesday and gave it a try. No luck.
Talked to B&K tech and was informed that the reference 20 is to old to process the signal switch. He says it makes sense that when I change from a digital to analogue signal that the receiver can not make the transition even though when I change from the sat source to tv and back to sat the receiver does sense the change and processes the signal. Says it has to do with algorythms. He's the tech so I guess. Gave no solution other than upgrade to a newer model.
Will have to start looking at some of the new receivers that can handle HDMI processing.
Steve

#10 OFFLINE   greensonor

greensonor

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:13 AM

Steve,

B&K will be offering a new Pre to replace the Reference series in September. I believe it will offer some form of HDMI, and other goodies--- possibly auto room eq. Not sure if they will offer an upgrade for current customers as they have done in the past.

Chris

spam firewall