Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Crop/Stretch Bug is Driving Me CRAZY!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gabe23

gabe23

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

I've had my HR20 for about 5 months now, and during that time the vertical stretching bug was never much of an issue for me. On the rare occasions that it happened, a couple of taps on the Play or Pause buttons got things back to normal. But ever since the 168 software release, it has rendered the Crop mode practically useless. Pretty much every letterbox show that I watch can't be cropped without stretching into oblivion. And now, playing around with the trickplay buttons won't bring it back to the correct view. I've tried doing a restart from the menu, and this seems to clear it up for a short time, but I'm lucky to make it through an hour long program before the problem returns. Last night I unplugged the unit for a half hour, and it had no effect on the problem. Nor has playing around with different resolutions, Native On/Off, etc.

I've seen the problem with shows from the Discovery Channel, History Channel, TLC, PBS, and others. I am having a hard time understanding why D* is not only NOT fixing this issue, but they're making it worse! Earl, or anyone else with D* contacts - can you shed any light onto why this hasn't been taken care of?

And yes, I fully realize that I can turn Native On and set it to stretch, then let my TV do the cropping. But then I can't see the progress bar and the menus properly. Plus I have to keep another remote around to handle the TV's aspect mode (I don't want to crop non-letterbox 4:3 content).

Is anyone else experiencing a lot of trouble with the crop/vertical stretch bug?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kramerboy

kramerboy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:39 PM

I've had my HR20 for about 5 months now, and during that time the vertical stretching bug was never much of an issue for me. On the rare occasions that it happened, a couple of taps on the Play or Pause buttons got things back to normal. But ever since the 168 software release, it has rendered the Crop mode practically useless. Pretty much every letterbox show that I watch can't be cropped without stretching into oblivion. And now, playing around with the trickplay buttons won't bring it back to the correct view. I've tried doing a restart from the menu, and this seems to clear it up for a short time, but I'm lucky to make it through an hour long program before the problem returns. Last night I unplugged the unit for a half hour, and it had no effect on the problem. Nor has playing around with different resolutions, Native On/Off, etc.

I've seen the problem with shows from the Discovery Channel, History Channel, TLC, PBS, and others. I am having a hard time understanding why D* is not only NOT fixing this issue, but they're making it worse! Ed, or anyone else with D* contacts - can you shed any light onto why this hasn't been taken care of?

And yes, I fully realize that I can turn Native On and set it to stretch, then let my TV do the cropping. But then I can't see the progress bar and the menus properly. Plus I have to keep another remote around to handle the TV's aspect mode (I don't want to crop non-letterbox 4:3 content).

Is anyone else experiencing a lot of trouble with the crop/vertical stretch bug?

I'm a new user (almost 3 weeks). I just noticed this issue the other day and didn't have a clue what was going on until I read your post. I remember seeing some threads about the vertical stretch bug, but didn't really experience it until now. Yes, I have 0x168.

Yes, this is very annoying. I was trying to watch a letterboxed show just last night when this happened. I couldn't figure out why it was looking fine on second and then the next, the whole picture was super stretched.

Please fix this Directv.....
HR20-100s (Samsung 42" DLP) --
HR21-100 (32" Samsung LCD) --
AU9 Slimline Dish

#3 OFFLINE   mdl

mdl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

Used to work for me too, but now it doesn't. Very annoying.

#4 OFFLINE   jutley

jutley

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

My wife called me yesterday afternoon and told me that we are having this problem. I have had the HR20 for about one month and this is the first time this has happened. I played with the HR20 last night and it started to work correctly. The wife called me again a few hours ago and it is back again. It is quite annoying. I am also on 0x168.
--Justin

SWiM3 Dish - (2) HR20-700s - (1) R16-300

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:35 AM

It's happening to me since the 0x168 update as well.

#6 OFFLINE   wyoungmann

wyoungmann

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:37 AM

same here, on the H20.

#7 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 771 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:53 AM

Make it one more here, whose crop is trashed since 0X168. FWIW, I'm connected via HDMI into a Samsung tube set.

#8 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:16 AM

Have had the issue for a long time, before 0168. One work around I have found which works for 480i programs: put the HR20 in "stretch" and put you TV in "zoom". That is a term my Sony uses, I'm sure other manufacturers have different terms for the same effect.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   gabe23

gabe23

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

Have had the issue for a long time, before 0168. One work around I have found which works for 480i programs: put the HR20 in "stretch" and put you TV in "zoom". That is a term my Sony uses, I'm sure other manufacturers have different terms for the same effect.

Yes, but as I mentioned in my original post, this method cuts off part of the menu and the progress bar. It's better than nothing, I suppose, but still not a great workaround. I just want D* to fix this thing once and for all! I posted because the problem got significantly worse with 168, so hopefully at a minimum they'll undo whatever change was made in this software version.

#10 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:38 AM

My Samsung won't do a zoom from the HDMI input. The only options available are 16x9, and 4x3, so the work around won't work for me either.

#11 OFFLINE   MattWarner

MattWarner

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:27 AM

It's happening to me since the 0x168 update as well.

+1 but it's been happening with every release for me.

-Matt

#12 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:45 AM

Folks...this isn't a problem. It's just D's way of telling you your TV isn't big enough....and don't get mad at least they changed the color of the menus!

We've had this issue too. Hopefully, they'll do a little "support" and fix this feature.

#13 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

I've had this issue for a *long* time. Way too long. In fact, now that autocorrection is hear, this may be my number 1 issue with the HR20.
- Matt

#14 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,101 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

FWIW, I had the problem until the last CE and haven't seen it since. There is still an issue with crop when pausing but I haven't had a bad crop since the 0x174 CE came out Friday.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#15 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:39 PM

My Samsung won't do a zoom from the HDMI input. The only options available are 16x9, and 4x3, so the work around won't work for me either.

My Father has a Samsung set and if I remember he can use zoom as long as the input is 480i. I could very well be mistaken, but I know it will zoom.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#16 OFFLINE   Cyrus

Cyrus

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:44 AM

I was seeing this problem with the 168 national release. But it seems to have gone away in the 174 CE release, so maybe they have fixed it.

#17 OFFLINE   gabe23

gabe23

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:57 AM

I was seeing this problem with the 168 national release. But it seems to have gone away in the 174 CE release, so maybe they have fixed it.

That's good news. I might have to become an Edge Cutter now...

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:23 AM

I have had it while using the slingbox but not while the TV is on...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   jbellanca

jbellanca

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:24 AM

Nor has playing around with different resolutions, Native On/Off, etc.

I've never experienced this issue that I know of... this is my setup, see if it works for you. I have the HR20 set to Native and I have a Sony 60XBR2 SXRD. For channels that show letterboxed programming like you're describing, by default, the TV stretches the video, which "squishes" the image. Set the TV to Zoom and the letterboxes disappear and the video is in the correct aspect ratio... and the full "live" area is displayed on the TV. This is the way it's meant to be shown by the network - 16:9 full screen. (Granted, blurry from the zoom, however.) Yes, parts of the status bar are clipped off-screen, but that's due to the fact that the HR20 displays the status bar BELOW the "live" area of the broadcast, the the "dead" letterbox zone... which I honestly really can't fault DirecTV over, since it's also in the correct area for HD programming.

#20 OFFLINE   mdb

mdb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:53 AM

I'm glad to see this issue surface again. D* has replaced my box once, telling me the hardward was defective. Of course that didn't solve the problem, and have told me twice that this is NOT a known bug. It renders letterbox cropping impossible. The aspect modification that makes the crop look normal, blows up the guide, progress bar, banner, etc. so that about 1/3 of it goes off the screen.

This only happens on my Panasonic, not the Sony.

As with some others, this is also my number one problem. I truely hope that the new release solves it. We've been a D* customer since practically day one (live in area where cable is not available) and we truely enjoy their service and the HR20, but I WISH THIS WOULD GET RESOLVED.:)

spam firewall