Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Channel 101 in "HD Guide"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jpoet

jpoet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

Why does channel 101 show up in the "HD Guide"? It is not an HD channel.....

John

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   twistedT

twistedT

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:37 AM

Why does channel 101 show up in the "HD Guide"? It is not an HD channel.....

John

They used to have it in HD when it first started, but I haven't seen it in HD for a

long time. Maybe they are getting it ready for when the new sat goes up.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

Actually the 101 is a hybrid channel.

On an HD receiver, it will tune to a version that will play HD when that program is available.

On an SD receiver, it will tune to a version that only offers SD versions of what is being played.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

On an HD receiver, it will tune to a version that will play HD when that program is available.

On an SD receiver, it will tune to a version that only offers SD versions of what is being played.

Gee that's one of things that I like about coming here :) I learn so much about D and everyone is so nice :sunsmile:

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

Gee that's one of things that I like about coming here :) I learn so much about D and everyone is so nice :sunsmile:

We are just nice to the tennis fans... ;)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

We are just nice to the tennis fans... ;)

Somehow I don't think I'm ever going to live my tennis obsession down :blush:

#7 OFFLINE   jpoet

jpoet

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:42 AM

Interesting. I guess I have just not tried to watch it when they have had a HD program on.

Thanks for the info.

John

P.S. It would be nice if Directv had a channel like RAVE. Soundstage can be a great show. PBS HD shows some Stoundstage episodes, but my local PBS station has droped DD5.1 so they could make room for another sub-channel.:mad:

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:08 PM

You won't see much on 101 in HD during the baseball season. They use the same bandwidth for MLB HD as they do for the 101 shows. If it is on at all in HD, look late at night (like 3 am ET).
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:55 PM

So not all shows are played in sd and hd on this channel? I mean if they put on , say my wifes soap opera "Passions" and it is in hd ,and we have an sd receiver , we won't get it ?

#10 OFFLINE   D*HR-20

D*HR-20

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:39 PM

So not all shows are played in sd and hd on this channel? I mean if they put on , say my wifes soap opera "Passions" and it is in hd ,and we have an sd receiver , we won't get it ?

You will get the same program we are seeing in HD on a HD receiver in SD on a SD receiver.

#11 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

They double map the station. When HD, HD receivers get the HD channel. When SD, HD receivers get SD. All programming in SD for SD receivers at all times.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:00 PM

They double map the station. When HD, HD receivers get the HD channel. When SD, HD receivers get SD. All programming in SD for SD receivers at all times.

Maybe thats something they could with the HD channels coming this fall, as long as both versions are airing the same programing of course, it would work good on ESPN and the sports channels.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:36 PM

You will get the same program we are seeing in HD on a HD receiver in SD on a SD receiver.

Thanks that is easier to understand.

#14 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:45 AM

I know the Championship Gaming Series is going to be in HD on the 101.

http://www.tvpredict...vgame060707.htm
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#15 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:58 AM

Maybe thats something they could with the HD channels coming this fall, as long as both versions are airing the same programing of course, it would work good on ESPN and the sports channels.

It will be similar. The channels will have the same channel numbers, but there will be two listings in the guide. The first one will be the HD version, and that's the one you'll go to if you enter the channel number directly. The second one will be the SD version.

#16 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:58 AM

It will be similar. The channels will have the same channel numbers, but there will be two listings in the guide. The first one will be the HD version, and that's the one you'll go to if you enter the channel number directly. The second one will be the SD version.

In the past when they have shown things in HD on channel 101 they only had one channel. The HD programming only showed at certain times. That is what I recall from the preview of the gaming chaipionships that they showed.
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#17 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

In the past when they have shown things in HD on channel 101 they only had one channel. The HD programming only showed at certain times. That is what I recall from the preview of the gaming chaipionships that they showed.

They do 101 as only one channel because it's not in HD 24/7.

#18 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:51 PM

The downside to that... is if I want to record an SD show that has an HD couterpart.... I will then be recording the HD feed (Which will probably take up significantly more space), instead of the SD feed.

Like right now... I record a bunch of the newer reality shows (The Next Best Thing, American Inventory, Last Comic, ect....) None of them are in HD, so I set the SL on the SD-version of the channel, so I don't take up all the space..
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#19 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

The downside to that... is if I want to record an SD show that has an HD couterpart.... I will then be recording the HD feed (Which will probably take up significantly more space), instead of the SD feed.

Another thing is, a lot of the new channels are bound to stretch their SD programming. I'd rather just watch the SD channel than distorted crap on the HD channel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...