Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are you turning your HR20 "off"?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you turning your HR20 "off"? (391 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you turning your HR20 "off"?

1. Yes; everytime I turn my TV off, I turn my HR20 "off". (274 votes [70.08%])

Percentage of vote: 70.08%

2. Voted No; when I turn my TV off, I leave my HR20 "on". (93 votes [23.79%])

Percentage of vote: 23.79%

3. Sometimes; I don't always turn my HR20 "off", but do sometimes. (21 votes [5.37%])

Percentage of vote: 5.37%

4. Other (comment below) (3 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

Vote

#61 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

We never turn ours "off".

Force of habit from being TiVo people for so many years.

Never had a lockup/lack of response, or any other problem as a result.

Same for me. Having two Tivo's, I've never turned them "off". I also have a Harmony remote, but I went to the extra effort to program it to NOT put HR20 in standby when turning off TV and A/V Receiver. I guess it just goes back to having the Tivo's and not seeing any real power savings by putting the HR20 in standby mode. I haven't had any problems with my HR20 so far (knock on wood...).
H20, HR20, HR21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   romulox

romulox

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:05 AM

Same for me. Having two Tivo's, I've never turned them "off". I also have a Harmony remote, but I went to the extra effort to program it to NOT put HR20 in standby when turning off TV and A/V Receiver. I guess it just goes back to having the Tivo's and not seeing any real power savings by putting the HR20 in standby mode. I haven't had any problems with my HR20 so far (knock on wood...).

exactly the same here. I too specifically told my harmony not to turn off the hr20.
RAMONE..... get this kid a life!

Simple setup: DVR not networked, no multiswitch, no phone line

Complete setup plus signal strengths: click here

#63 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:09 AM

I remember a poll like this at one time at tivocommunity and the results were the exact opposite. Hardly anyone was turning "off" their D*Tivo's.

Part of that is probably the process involved in "turning off" a TIVO. You had to go into the menu to select standby. Most people would just hit the TV power button and be done. D* has linked standby with the off button. I just hit the off button and am done - since I have had no problems, I've never thought otherwise about this.

#64 OFFLINE   Monty23

Monty23

Icon

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:03 PM

I treat mine like I do my computers, that is never turn them off. Always have them connected to a UPS and have very few major problems.

#65 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:53 AM

Correct. The only thing that putting it in standby/off does is turn off the front lights and cut the video/audio outputs and tells the box it can run background processes now. That's it. It does not use any less power (that would matter) unless running those LEDs on the front is a huge power hog. :D

It does use less power. My kill-a-watt does say it draws one watt less. I know this is not much but over a year it could add up to over 6 kW. I need to measure it over a longer period to get more accurate results.

#66 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:00 AM

I wish there was an option to stop buffering when it was in standby. I forgot what version of the software changed it to buffer all the time but the drive noise drives me nuts sometimes.

#67 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:46 AM

Looks like most are turning it off because that is what the remote does. I can see that. I don't use the HR20 remote. I programmed my SL9000 the day I got the HR20 in the living room (same for the HR20 in the bedroom and my RF10) and never looked back.

Then there is the Harmony (the I will think for you because you are too stupid to know how to watch a DVD) remote....well, I guess I just said what I think of those things.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#68 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

It does use less power. My kill-a-watt does say it draws one watt less. I know this is not much but over a year it could add up to over 6 kW. I need to measure it over a longer period to get more accurate results.

Hey, a watt's a watt! :D I turn it "off" but it's more force of habit. I also turn off my computer when I'm not planning to use it again for a few hours.

Bill

#69 OFFLINE   georgeorwell

georgeorwell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

Looks like most are turning it off because that is what the remote does. I can see that. I don't use the HR20 remote. I programmed my SL9000 the day I got the HR20 in the living room (same for the HR20 in the bedroom and my RF10) and never looked back.

Then there is the Harmony (the I will think for you because you are too stupid to know how to watch a DVD) remote....well, I guess I just said what I think of those things.

That's funny! I used to use an SL9000 back in the 1990's. Are those things even still around?

#70 OFFLINE   LandShark22

LandShark22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

Not sure why you would think of a Harmony that way. I like my Harmony and I'm pretty smart ;)

It doesn't think for me. It automates things, but does exactly what I tell it to do, no more and no less. No different than any other programmable device.

#71 OFFLINE   Duffinator

Duffinator

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

Very surprised by the poll results.

I've yet to get an HR20, but I've never turned "off" either of my D*Tivo's and I've owned each of them for many, many years.

I never turned off my TiVo's either but always turn off my HR20's. One reason is the remotes for the HR20's have a button that turns off both your TV and DVR at the same time so it makes it convient. The new remotes are way better than the ones that came with the HR10's.
HR20-100S w/OTA HDMI to Panasonic 65VT30 Networked
HR20-100S w/OTA HDMI to Panasonic 50PX75U Networked

#72 OFFLINE   Moocher

Moocher

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:30 PM

When I first got my HR20 in January I tried turning it off at night, even though I never turn off my old-but-still-used Tivo. This caused problems, so I started leaving it on. Then we had an upgrade and I read here that the problems were taken care of. Ever since I have been able to turn the unit off at night without any difficulties. I don't know if it makes any difference, however.

Mooch

#73 OFFLINE   RMLacy

RMLacy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

It's a waste of energy to leave it on. You should turn it off. I haven't had any problems doing so.

#74 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

It's a waste of energy to leave it on. You should turn it off. I haven't had any problems doing so.

It wastes almost no energy at all, because it really doesn't turn off...it goes into a standby mode...but nearly everything continues to run (including the hard disk). Someone measured the power difference "on" and "off" quite a while ago and it was very, very small. If one is interested in "energy" and "green" issues, you'd be better off turning off a few lights once in a while or upping the thermo on your a/c.

This was beat to death a few months ago in it's own thread. As usual, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.:)

I'm doing my part with geothermal heating/air conditioning and generous use of fluorescent bulbs for lighting, so you can buy a few carbon credits from me, if you like, and you can even Call Me Al.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#75 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:24 PM