Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cable Company claims 500 HD Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:52 PM

Most small market cable subs will not have access to that many HD channels for a very long time no matter what kind of equipment they have. The smallest cable companies may never be able to do it.

Covering a limited area gives the CATV operators a distinct advantage. They don't feel compelled to carry the most thinly spread content (ie internationals) nor do they have to use a lot of bandwidth to carry out-of-market LIL.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:56 PM

That is pure and indefensible BS.

Agreed. At the same time, it is an "embellishment" of the BS that DIRECTV started in an attempt to defend their EOY 2007 claims.

#23 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

HD is serious business. :)

+ 1

Although, my post was intended for humor. :lol:

#24 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:30 PM

DirecTV's count included regular, linear programming channels. Yes, some of them were iffy, but at least they're real channels. Comcast started this mess by counting every HD VOD title as a channel. There is a major difference between the two.

Right an NFL channel gets used maybe 4 hours a week...if that. A VoD channel has to be available 24x7. Of course, the theory being you won't buy 400 VoD at the same time.

Both are sleazy ways of counting...but I guess that's what marketing is all about.

#25 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:36 PM

+ 1

Although, my post was intended for humor. :lol:

:lol: As I stated I had intended the whole thread more or less as humor :) I guess HD IS really serious business !rolling
:rolling:

#26 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:40 AM

:sleeping:
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#27 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

Agreed. At the same time, it is an "embellishment" of the BS that DIRECTV started in an attempt to defend their EOY 2007 claims.

No, it is not. Your anti-D* bias is showing.

D* claimed they will be able to have up to 150 HD channels. That means 150 streams. When couting the ACTUAL programming, they may not have 100 or 150 fulltime channels but they will still have the capacity for 150 HD channels if they were all turned on at the same time.

The cable claims are insane and are no one's defintion of a channel. Period.

D* was using accepted terms. Cable is just lying.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#28 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

I don't think I'll be starting a thread that I think is funny any more :rolleyes:

#29 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:31 PM

I don't think I'll be starting a thread that I think is funny any more :rolleyes:

It's not your fault. In some cases, you can learn from these discussions. Often these topics end up going into the technology and some interesting things are said. After all they are just expressing their opinions and some of those are fact based.

#30 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:39 PM

If Directv counted it's HD VOD when it start's wouldn't that put them up to 500 also?? :whatdidid

#31 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

I do like all the many things I have learned and that I continue to learn here, but sometimes what was meant as a light hearted thread can get rather heavy :rolleyes: I guess my humor is not in tune with other posters :(

#32 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:06 PM

I do like all the many things I have learned and that I continue to learn here, but sometimes what was meant as a light hearted thread can get rather heavy :rolleyes: I guess my humor is not in tune with other posters :(

Your fine. These little battles are common. You just get everybody debating. You always have the pro Directv, Pro Dish, and Pro cable people that will put there 2 cents in. I think that is what makes is a little fun.

But, sometime it does get out of hand and the mods will stop it.

#33 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,041 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

You always have the pro Directv, Pro Dish, and Pro cable people that will put there 2 cents in.

And oddly enough, with all three groups we're still somehow not even making 5 cents worth of sense! :)

#34 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:11 PM

And oddly enough, with all three groups we're still somehow not even making 5 cents worth of sense! :)

:lol:

#35 OFFLINE   rjdude

rjdude

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:00 PM

...You always have the pro Directv, Pro Dish, and Pro cable people that will put there 2 cents in...

...and what's interesting is that you'll find them all HERE or on other D*/SAT boards. Have any of you D* supporters gone over to their (Comcast or other cable co's) boards? Not me. I could care less what's going on over there...

#36 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

D* claimed they will be able to have up to 150 HD channels. That means 150 streams. When couting the ACTUAL programming, they may not have 100 or 150 fulltime channels but they will still have the capacity for 150 HD channels if they were all turned on at the same time.

I'm not arguing the 2004 claims (other than the time table). In 2007, they upped the ante to actual channels of programming. Later, it a fit of sanity, they returned to the "up to" claim, but at CES, they were claiming 100 total national HD channels from more than 70 providers.

The cable claims are insane and are no one's defintion of a channel. Period.

If you buy DIRECTV's definition of a channel, then it isn't a big leap.

D* was using accepted terms. Cable is just lying.

D* was using terms that they twisted and cable just twisted them a lot harder. With Switched Digital, cable may well be able to provide you with 500 choices that you can play at the press of a few buttons on the remote.

The term channel used to represent one more or less continuous stream of programming. It could be shared by two channels or be filled with a bunch of first-run movies or events, but you could always expect to find something when you keyed in that channel number. D* redefined it to include events. They made their bed and now they have to sleep in it.

If SDV progresses to its logical conclusion, cable may be able to provide a different D* style channel to each cable box in their system.

#37 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:45 PM

If SDV progresses to its logical conclusion, cable may be able to provide a different D* style channel to each cable box in their system.

They may, but it still is presented as a single channel.

A channel is still a channel. Not a VOD program. If that is the case, then D* will have hundreds to thousands, too.

Sorry, cable is not twisting what D* already twisted. Cable is changing the definitions, which is lying since they do not clarify the definitions. Using an accepted term in different ways than is acceptable and not clarifying it is lying.

D* did not lie.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#38 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

If Directv counted it's HD VOD when it start's wouldn't that put them up to 500 also?? :whatdidid

If you count VOD as a channel. Given that the VOD bandwidth will be primarily the subscriber's Internet capacity, they can't count all of it -- only the portion of VOD that gets preloaded onto their DVRs off the satellites.

I believe that when all is said and done, VOD isn't going to live up to people's expectations.

#39 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,041 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

OK, somebody lend these guys a ruler... Just whip them out, measure them up, and let's be done with this, ok?

Other than personal grudges or pride, does it matter who's twisting more or less (Cable or DirecTV) or who started it? What matters to me is who is going to greatly expand their HD line up first, and by all accounts the winner will be DirecTV. End of story for me.

#40 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:01 PM

I think it does matter. And for the record, I agree with Harsh. Both claims made - by DirecTV and by Comcast - are silly, and border on deceptive advertising. By no sane definition is a broadcast of 3 hours per week considered a channel. Nor is a VOD stream. I do think that Comcast's claim goes further out on the limb than DirecTV's - but Harsh is right... DirecTV laid the groundwork for this type of nonsense, and Comcast is just one-upping them.

Now, why does it matter? Because there are going to be lots of really ticked off customers when they find out that the numbers don't add up - customers of either company. I've said this before - both companies are just begging for Congress to get involved and help the TV industry define what fair advertising is. And I think that would be horribly unfortunate. Right now what's needed is LESS regulation in the industry... not more. But when both companies play these type of semantic games, it's hard to take them seriously when they make petitions before the FCC or the FTC (like when DirecTV and Dish wanted to merge). This garbage hurts the industry overall, by increasing regulation, and therefore price on the consumer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...