Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cable Company claims 500 HD Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,718 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

A channel is still a channel. Not a VOD program. If that is the case, then D* will have hundreds to thousands, too.

But D* won't be able to deliver all of those movies via satellite. CATV and telcos will likely carry a lot of the D* VOD content.

D* did not lie.

When you use such peculiar conditions as surveying professional home theater installers to come up with a claim of the best PQ in the industry, you're bending the truth to the point that you may never get it back.

D* is lying because they haven't offered up the definition of "channel" as they are using it. Their usage is at odds with the definition of the word.

A specified frequency band for the transmission and reception of electromagnetic signals, as for television signals.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:15 PM

I think it does matter. And for the record, I agree with Harsh. Both claims made - by DirecTV and by Comcast - are silly, and border on deceptive advertising. By no sane definition is a broadcast of 3 hours per week considered a channel. Nor is a VOD stream. I do think that Comcast's claim goes further out on the limb than DirecTV's - but Harsh is right... DirecTV laid the groundwork for this type of nonsense, and Comcast is just one-upping them.

So you still think there is "nonsense" on DirecTV's part, after they have issued press releases listing the actual channels they will deliver? I believe there were more than 75 total ...

Now, why does it matter? Because there are going to be lots of really ticked off customers when they find out that the numbers don't add up - customers of either company.

Outside of any missteps at CE 2007, hasn't DirecTV been making it clear that they are expanding capacity to up to 150 channels, and haven't they announced the agreement with more than 75 channels set to debut in HD this fall? How will DirecTV customers feel slighted?

This garbage hurts the industry overall, by increasing regulation, and therefore price on the consumer.

I agree with your sentiment, but by my observations, DirecTV has taken steps to very publicly announce what they are doing, and as long as they deliver Phase 1 this year with 75+ HD channels, I think the only ones who will be upset are the cable companies.

#43 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:24 PM

So you still think there is "nonsense" on DirecTV's part, after they have issued press releases listing the actual channels they will deliver? I believe there were more than 75 total ...

Outside of any missteps at CE 2007, hasn't DirecTV been making it clear that they are expanding capacity to up to 150 channels, and haven't they announced the agreement with more than 75 channels set to debut in HD this fall? How will DirecTV customers feel slighted?

I agree with your sentiment, but by my observations, DirecTV has taken steps to very publicly announce what they are doing, and as long as they deliver Phase 1 this year with 75+ HD channels, I think the only ones who will be upset are the cable companies.

But they're including things like NFL ST in that 75 channel sum. And as far as I'm aware, that disclaimer wasn't laid out in a press release - it was admitted to by a senior executive in some interview that was done. I've yet to see that disclaimer in a single ad. And as for that channel list that they've announced, again I've seen no time-table for most of them. When are they adding CNN HD, e.g.? They said that those channels are coming... and they said that they'll be at 70+ channels by the end of the year - the implication being that all those channels that they listed in that release will be in that initial roll-out. That's where I think they're being deceptive. That initial sum of 70+ channels includes NFL ST and the like. Many of the channels in that list that they released will most likely not be in that initial roll-out.

Will DirecTV have alot of HD channels? I have no doubt that they will. They're making it a priority and they've worked out quite a number of deals with channel providers, but they are really stretching it in their advertizing. I balk every time I see that Pamela Anderson ad talking about DirecTV's stunning 1080i HD. I see that, and then I go off and read the thread about how crappy the MHD preview looks.

I've already stated my concern. When companies start playing semantic games like this (and make no mistake, that's exactly what DirecTV is doing) they're just asking for oversight.

#44 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,718 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:30 PM

I want to point out that they have been very vocal about their plans, but until something really happens, they are still just plans. Adding plan after plan to the original plans and claims of numerous agreements hasn't delivered any long-term content.

Whatever they manage to do will be to the good, but it will be difficult to live up to the hype that they have created and you can bet that CATV and the "I told you so" types will not be merciful in the event that D* misses their high standard.

#45 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:17 PM

...and what's interesting is that you'll find them all HERE or on other D*/SAT boards. Have any of you D* supporters gone over to their (Comcast or other cable co's) boards? Not me. I could care less what's going on over there...

I guess that is one of my biggest surprises :eek2: I'm a D person so I don't go anywhere else :nono2:

#46 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:42 PM

...and what's interesting is that you'll find them all HERE or on other D*/SAT boards. Have any of you D* supporters gone over to their (Comcast or other cable co's) boards? Not me. I could care less what's going on over there...

No, I never go on the other boards. I don't feel a need to, I am secure in my choice.

#47 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:41 AM

Well there really are no dedicated Cable TV boards, or at least ones that get more than a dozen posts a week. At this point in time, after over 7 years, I have absolutely no interest in ever going back to satellite, but I have no intention of not visiting this site on a daily basis either.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#48 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:21 AM

No, I never go on the other boards. I don't feel a need to, I am secure in my choice.

Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner! While I do check out the E* forums, I never spotlight E* faults. What good does it do?
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#49 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:30 AM

Well there really are no dedicated Cable TV boards, or at least ones that get more than a dozen posts a week. At this point in time, after over 7 years, I have absolutely no interest in ever going back to satellite, but I have no intention of not visiting this site on a daily basis either.

I'm in line with you. I was a DirecTV customer for 5 years, and have a real interest in what's going on in the industry overall. Even though I'm now a FiOS customer, I still like to see what's going on here. There are LOTS of changes going on in the industry in general, and I'll be honest, I like to see what DirecTV is doing and this forum is a great resource for that. I think it always pays to keep tabs on what the other guys are doing. I think that's especially true now, more than ever, since the competition between these providers has never been fiercer than it is now (this whole thread is a testament to that). It's sort of like politics - everyone follows what California does for one reason - it's a really big state (the largest by far in terms of population) and what happens there legislatively tends to spread around the country.

Well, DirecTV and Comcast are both mammoth TV service companies, and by following what either is doing, you're likely to see what's going to come down the pike -- e.g. DirecTV may not have invented the DVR, but they were the ones that laid the ground-work to make it an indispensible tool, and Comcast likewise laid the groundwork for VOD. I've never had a real soft spot for Comcast, but I'm grateful that they're there. If not for them, would DirecTV even be considering implementing VOD? I don't think so.

#50 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:55 AM

In case you missed, here's one site's best guess at what D*'s 100 HD channels will be. Note that two of them are "TBD", and the list includes no PPV or VOD channels, AFAIK. It does include 9 NFL "Sunday Ticket" channels, however. /s

http://hdtvmagazine....ctv_-_the_m.php
/steve

#51 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:00 AM

In case you missed, here's one site's best guess at what D*'s 100 HD channels will be. Note that two of them are "TBD", and the list includes no PPV or VOD channels, AFAIK. It does include 9 NFL "Sunday Ticket" channels, however. /s

http://hdtvmagazine....ctv_-_the_m.php

Thanks for the reference. I never saw that before. If you exclude the RSNs and the NFL ST channels, I count 37 HD channels this fall. That's pretty much what I said - they're announcing 70+ channels by end of the year. Nearly half are sports subscription channels, many of which won't be full-time channels. While 37 is alot, I think there are going to be a number of customers that are going to feel cheated by this. Just my opinion.

#52 OFFLINE   uncrules

uncrules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for the reference. I never saw that before. If you exclude the RSNs and the NFL ST channels, I count 37 HD channels this fall. That's pretty much what I said - they're announcing 70+ channels by end of the year. Nearly half are sports subscription channels, many of which won't be full-time channels. While 37 is alot, I think there are going to be a number of customers that are going to feel cheated by this. Just my opinion.

That list come out before HBO announced their new HD which D* has commited to carrying at least 11.

I thing this list is a better indicator of what's coming.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=87235

Counting existing ones but not counting HD locals or RSNs or PPV/sport packages I get to over 50 by fall. Then there is the Tennis channel in December plus more in 2008.

Available Now:

Discovery HD Theater
ESPN
ESPN2
HBO East
HD NET
HD NET Movies
Showtime East
TNT
Universal

HD Pay-Per-View

Depending on service area and equipment:

ABC
CBS
NBC
FOX
CW
MY Network TV

Local Regional Sports Network

Coming in September:

A&E
Animal Planet
Big Ten Network
CineMax East
CineMax West
Discovery Channel (simulcast)
Food Network
HBO West
HGTV
History Channel
MHD (MTV)
NFL Network (Full-Time)
Science Channel
Showtime West
Starz! East
Starz! West
Starz! Edge
Starz! Comedy
Starz Kids & Family
The Movie Channel
The National Geographic Channel
TLC
The Weather Channel
Versus/Golf

Fall 2007:

Bravo
Cartoon
Chiller
CNBC
CNN
FX
HBO2 East
HBO2 West
HBO Family East
HBO Family West
HBO Latino East
HBO Signature East
MoreMax East
Sci-Fi
Sleuth
Speed
TBS
USA

21 Regional Sports Networks:

Blackout Rules still apply!

Altitude
Comcast SportsNet Chicago
Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
New England Sports Network
SportsNet New York
SportsSouth
Sun Sports
YES

December 2007:

The Tennis Channel

Spring 2008

Disney Channel
Toon Disney
ABC Family
ESPN News
MGM

1 HR34-700 (w/AM21N), 2 HR24-500 (1 w/AM21), 2 HR22-100 - Whole Home DVR with DECA and broadband DECA setup
Panasonic Viera 65" TC-P65V10, Magnavox 42" 42MF337B, Sony Bravia 40" KDL40EX400, 2 Vizio 37" E370VL
Directv subscriber since 1995
Xbox 360 Elite, 2 PS3, Nintendo Wii

#53 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:27 AM

That list come out before HBO announced their new HD which D* has commited to carrying at least 11.

Counting existing ones but not counting HD locals or RSNs or PPV/sport packages I get to over 50 by fall. Then there is the Tennis channel in December plus more in 2008.

Yeah, you're right. I also realized that I only included new channels coming this fall. I didn't add in the ones that DirecTV currently carries. Guess we'll have to wait and see what they roll out.

#54 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:09 AM

:lol: As I stated I had intended the whole thread more or less as humor :) I guess HD IS really serious business !rolling
:rolling:

Dolly, when you consider the money that people are putting out to get it...yes it is pretty serious.

A decent HD big screen $1500
HD DVR20 $ 299
Two Years of D (75/mo) $1800

Some will spend less, many will spend more.

#55 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:58 AM

[...]
HD DVR20 $ 299
[...]

Watching a great show in crystal clear 16:9... priceless! :) /s

(This post is for Dolly. :lol:)
/steve

#56 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:16 PM

Dolly, when you consider the money that people are putting out to get it...yes it is pretty serious.

HD DVR20 $ 299

Some will spend less, many will spend more.

And then add in non satellite/cable purchases to enhance your HD viewing like A/V Receivers, HD Upconvert DVD Players and maybe even a HD DVD or BD Player and your talking a lot of cash.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#57 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,718 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:33 PM

Print out this list and put a check mark beside each channel that is available today from any provider. I think you'll find that the hit rate is well under 25%.

These lists are assembled primarily from unilateral announcements from DIRECTV. I can't help but think that the programmers may have their own version of delivery dates.

Go Beavs!

#58 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

Print out this list and put a check mark beside each channel that is available today from any provider. I think you'll find that the hit rate is well under 25%.

These lists are assembled primarily from unilateral announcements from DIRECTV. I can't help but think that the programmers may have their own version of delivery dates.

Go Beavs!

I agree with you. I'm not totally familiar with the press release - weren't these agreements in principle? Meaning that they're not set in stone yet? Sort of like a pre-engagement - they agreed to have an agreement at some point. Guess we'll have to wait and see. And for the record, I really hope they do deliver. I want DirecTV to have as much HD as they can handle - that will increase the likelihood that I'll also get that HD through fios.

#59 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:50 PM

Go Beavs!

I know you're a D* hater, but I wouldn't use the term "primarily from unilateral announcements from DIRECTV". I've seen other sources for most of those stations and almost all of them mention DirecTV.

Also, to answer the next post, if D* was going to announce agreements in principle and not really have the agreements set, it would be taking a big risk. You have to believe that those agreements are pretty firm. Otherwise, the other companies would have some serious negotiating rights against D*.

#60 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:22 PM

Why would you exclude RSNs and NFS ST channels when counting? Discussion here has been that RSN's may be going national later this year, so everyone paying for sports pack should be able to get them. Also, anyone paying for NFL ST will also get those channels. Would you exclude the HBO/Sho channels from the list for the same reasons you exclude RSNs and NFL ST? The fact that some people won't subscribe is no reason not to cound the channels DirecTV makes available.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...