Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cable Company claims 500 HD Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

Print out this list and put a check mark beside each channel that is available today from any provider. I think you'll find that the hit rate is well under 25%.

These lists are assembled primarily from unilateral announcements from DIRECTV. I can't help but think that the programmers may have their own version of delivery dates.

Go Beavs!

Well add TBS HD to the list of "announced with a delivery date" of September 1st. Here's the actual press release today from Time Warner.

http://www.timewarne...1637248,00.html

And by the way Harsh, this list wasn't assembled "primarily from unilateral announcements from DirecTV." They are mostly from Pressers and info from the actual providers.

Patience Harsh, all this stuff is coming.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:00 PM

These lists are assembled primarily from unilateral announcements from DIRECTV.

Here's a few to debunk that....

Tennis Channel:

http://www.thetennis...ail.aspx?id=129

History channel HD + A&E HD:

http://www.multichan.../CA6439832.html

4 new Discovery HD Channels & 5 Starz Channels:

http://www.multichan.../CA6445890.html

11 HBO HD channels:

http://hdtvmagazine....nnels_in_hd.php

You want some more??? I got more....

#63 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

Why would you exclude RSNs and NFS ST channels when counting? Discussion here has been that RSN's may be going national later this year, so everyone paying for sports pack should be able to get them. Also, anyone paying for NFL ST will also get those channels. Would you exclude the HBO/Sho channels from the list for the same reasons you exclude RSNs and NFL ST? The fact that some people won't subscribe is no reason not to cound the channels DirecTV makes available.

Sorry, but that goes to the discussion on the other thread (or was it this thread... I forget). I simply do not count 3 hours of programming a week, for part of the year, as a channel. And when the RSNs go national, then I would consider them.

As for HBO/Showtime - those I just forgot about - you're right on that front, I neglected to include those.

Look, DirecTV will have alot of HD in the near future - I just find their numbers... curious. No, I can't count NFL ST channels. To me a channel is one that broadcasts at least 18 hours a day, every day.

#64 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:53 PM

Dolly, when you consider the money that people are putting out to get it...yes it is pretty serious.

A decent HD big screen $1500
HD DVR20 $ 299
Two Years of D (75/mo) $1800

Some will spend less, many will spend more.

Hey you don't think D isn't about to put me in the poor house :money: :D And on top of it all after saying I wouldn't I got the ticket for the NFL :eek2: I'm sorry, but I just can't get into channel counting no matter how much money I have spent :rolleyes:

#65 OFFLINE   uncrules

uncrules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:08 AM

And when the RSNs go national, then I would consider them.

D* has already stated that when the new satellite goes live, the HD RSNs will be moved from the spot beams they are on now to CONUS transponders and therefore will be national. That will be at the same time the other national channels get lit up.
1 HR34-700 (w/AM21N), 2 HR24-500 (1 w/AM21), 2 HR22-100 - Whole Home DVR with DECA and broadband DECA setup
Panasonic Viera 65" TC-P65V10, Magnavox 42" 42MF337B, Sony Bravia 40" KDL40EX400, 2 Vizio 37" E370VL
Directv subscriber since 1995
Xbox 360 Elite, 2 PS3, Nintendo Wii

#66 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:51 PM

Gee I don't mind people from other areas coming into D's Forum. It's not my Forum. I don't have a right or an interest in keeping anyone out. I just have no interest in going anywhere else myself. But I can't believe this thread of mine which I have repeatedly stated was meant to be a light hearted thread has turned into such a firestorm :raspberry I feel like I created a monster when that wasn't what I had in mind at all :barf:

#67 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:21 PM

I feel like I created a monster when that wasn't what I had in mind at all

You didn't create a monster, you sparked a lively discussion.

#68 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

You didn't create a monster, you sparked a lively discussion.

He's right. If you didn't post it someone else would have. This discussion would have come one way or the other. So don't feel bad.

#69 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:59 PM

He's right. If you didn't post it someone else would have. This discussion would have come one way or the other. So don't feel bad.

Thanks :) But I wish someone else would have posted it :rolleyes:

#70 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,933 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:58 PM

4 new Discovery HD Channels & 5 Starz Channels:

http://www.multichan.../CA6445890.html

11 HBO HD channels:

http://hdtvmagazine....nnels_in_hd.php

As the above two articles were announcements by Derek Chang, VP, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc., they are examples of the unilateral DIRECTV announcements that I referred to. Out of the 23 channels that you offered, I'll grant you three until you produce a statement from the programmer.

#71 OFFLINE   uncrules

uncrules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:03 AM

Try this one harsh.

http://news.moneycen...0604&ID=6990042

Starz Entertainment Executive VP, Affiliate Sales and Marketing, Ed Huguez said, "Lack of programming has for years hampered the growth of high definition television. DIRECTV's leadership role and recently announced breakthrough offering -- including the new HD channels from Starz -- is a landmark development that will open the HD era. Movie lovers are the perfect target audience for HD. Starz looks forward to working with DIRECTV to provide these consumers the best movie-viewing experience possible. With Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound transmitted on all five HD channels, this will be the ultimate home theater offering in the marketplace today."

1 HR34-700 (w/AM21N), 2 HR24-500 (1 w/AM21), 2 HR22-100 - Whole Home DVR with DECA and broadband DECA setup
Panasonic Viera 65" TC-P65V10, Magnavox 42" 42MF337B, Sony Bravia 40" KDL40EX400, 2 Vizio 37" E370VL
Directv subscriber since 1995
Xbox 360 Elite, 2 PS3, Nintendo Wii

#72 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,615 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:35 AM

Well add TBS HD to the list of "announced with a delivery date" of September 1st. Here's the actual press release today from Time Warner.http://www.timewarne...1637248,00.html

The press release says they are going to show EVERYTHING in 16:9. I'm hopeful they plan to use a more "intelligent" side-stretch or anamorphic stretch for TBS than they are currently using for TNTHD. /s

TBS in HD will be broadcast in 1080i 24 hours a day and use Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound across all TBS in HD programming. In addition, TBS in HD will present all of its programming, including promotional content and commercials, in 16:9 wide-screen, giving viewers a consistent viewing experience.

TBS, a division of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., is television's "very funny" network. It serves as home to such hot contemporary comedies as Sex and the City, Everybody Loves Raymond, Family Guy, King of Queens, Seinfeld and Friends; [...]

/steve

#73 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:59 AM

As the above two articles were announcements by Derek Chang, VP, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc., they are examples of the unilateral DIRECTV announcements that I referred to. Out of the 23 channels that you offered, I'll grant you three until you produce a statement from the programmer.

http://www.multichan...istory starz hd

“The History Channel HD will give our History fanatics an unparalleled view of history with stunning clarity and rich perspective that they will find nowhere else on the television landscape,” said David Zagin, executive vice president of distribution at History parent A&E Television Networks, in a prepared statement. “We are equally delighted that DirecTV, one of the nation’s largest programming distributors, will be there with us from the beginning of this exciting launch. We look forward to many more partnerships with distributors to bring The History Channel HD to their consumers.”

History HD will join sister network A&E HD -- which launched last year -- on DirecTV come September.

http://hd.broadcastn...e.jsp?id=147432

"Starz Entertainment announced today that its new High Definition (HD) premium movie channels will be launched on DIRECTV. Starz Comedy HD, Starz Edge HD and Starz Kids & Family HD represent the multichannel industry's first and only non-flagship premium HD channels.

Expected to debut in September 2007, the three new HD channels will be East Coast feeds of the Starz Comedy, Starz Edge, and Starz Kids & Family networks. They will complement the existing Starz HD channel, which will be available on DIRECTV in both the East and West Coast feeds. All five Starz HD offerings will be presented in Dolby® Digital 5.1 surround sound.

The Starz HD movie channels will be offered at no extra cost to DIRECTV Starz® Super Pack subscribers."

Starz Entertainment Executive VP, Affiliate Sales and Marketing, Ed Huguez said, "Lack of programming has for years hampered the growth of high definition television. DIRECTV's leadership role and recently announced breakthrough offering -- including the new HD channels from Starz -- is a landmark development that will open the HD era. Movie lovers are the perfect target audience for HD. Starz looks forward to working with DIRECTV to provide these consumers the best movie-viewing experience possible. With Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound transmitted on all five HD channels, this will be the ultimate home theater offering in the marketplace today."

#74 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,933 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:27 AM

We're up to eight non-unilateral channel announcements by my count.

#75 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

We're up to eight non-unilateral channel announcements by my count.

Instead of being bated into cutting and pasting links for an hour I'll let you sit there with your Dish equipment and watch our channels light up in September.

If you're not satisfied then go google the HD channels such as CNN and Weather etc. in regards to DirecTV.

Have a nice weekend Harsh.

:icon_lame

#76 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:35 PM

Why in the world did I start this thread :down: :barf:

#77 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

Why in the world did I start this thread :down: :barf:

As someone else said, if you didn't ... someone else would have. So ... just enjoy life and forget about this thread! If it's getting too bad, you can always unsubscribe from the thread, you know! ;)

#78 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:17 AM

As someone else said, if you didn't ... someone else would have. So ... just enjoy life and forget about this thread! If it's getting too bad, you can always unsubscribe from the thread, you know! ;)

I know, but I just can't believe so many people are channel counting :eek2: I remember when I first got on the Forum and was posting about D getting The Tennis Channel (this was before it came out that D was getting TTC) everyone was saying that I was :beatdeadhorse: That's now the way I feel about this thread so I guess it is pay back time :rolleyes:

#79 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:58 AM

Channel counting gets old, but it’s fun to watch the arguments over what constitutes a channel. I have a lot less channels with cable then satellite because I only get three shopping channels, and two religious channels with Time Warner. And that’s fine with me. Next month I’ll be getting HD channels #19 (ESPN 2 HD) and #20 (My Network HD) and that’s actual channels, no On Demands or the sports package HD channels.

HD channel offerings will be no different the SD channels. One multichannel video provider will get a channel, then in a few years every provider will carry the channel. I remember back when DirecTV was the only major player that carried FX.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#80 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:29 AM

Does anybody here remember Sonny and Cher? Do you remember their song "And the Beat Goes On"? For some reason this thread reminds me of that song :beatdeadhorse: :rolleyes: :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...