Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TVs on Signatures

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Jim B

Jim B

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:15 PM

Here's my humble set-up.... I sat down last night and flipped back and forth between the HDMI and the component for the HD picture, and just can't tell the difference. I am disappointed with the audio performance of HDMI, like many other seem to have. I use the sound out of the plasma, as it is pretty good for our small den.... Plus, the wife said no to the surround sound 5.1 set up in her decor, so I only have two front channels and a woofer, not really enough to run daily sound through (we do use for movies ocassionally....) Such a shame....
Yes, that really is a 65 lb Airedale Terrier sleeping on my chest!!!

My Setup:
1) Slimline Dish; HR20-100; Belkin UPS with AVR for HR20, DVD & Plasma
2) HDMI to Panasonic 42" Plasma (600u); Native ON
3) Panasonic DVD Burner - HDMI to Panny (and s-video in from HR-20)
3) R15 to 27" Samsung Digital Slimfit in bedroom (really good pic with s-video!)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tensuns

tensuns

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

Since last November. Be thankful it works on yours.

No HDMI problems on my 970 either, with a manufactured date of October 2006.
HR20-700 -> Sony KD-34XBR970 -- Onkyo HT-SR800

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:58 PM

No HDMI problems on my 970 either, with a manufactured date of October 2006.

Must have been the older Sony models. No one has posted a TV that the HDMI does not work on other than me. This is typical of the kind of luck I have.

How do you like the OPPO? I bought one a year or two ago and had a lot of trouble with it. Older model than yours. Returned it to Amazon. Bought a couple Toshiba upscalers and quickly returned them. Paid a small fortune for two Samsung upscalers which were acceptable. Now I use the Sony upscalers Costco sells for $119 and the picture on my Panny is almost as good as HD. I recently watched the digitally remastered version of the first Star Wars trilogy and the PQ was as good as HD.

The only problem I have had with the Sonys is when used with the HR20s, all the upscaling DVD players worked perfectly with the HDMI hook up.

I can't possibly be the only person that has had a problem with HDMI and the HR20...Or can I? Strange?!

#44 OFFLINE   tensuns

tensuns

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

How do you like the OPPO? I bought one a year or two ago and had a lot of trouble with it. Older model than yours. Returned it to Amazon. Bought a couple Toshiba upscalers and quickly returned them. Paid a small fortune for two Samsung upscalers which were acceptable. Now I use the Sony upscalers Costco sells for $119 and the picture on my Panny is almost as good as HD. I recently watched the digitally remastered version of the first Star Wars trilogy and the PQ was as good as HD.

The only problem I have had with the Sonys is when used with the HR20s, all the upscaling DVD players worked perfectly with the HDMI hook up.

I can't possibly be the only person that has had a problem with HDMI and the HR20...Or can I? Strange?!

I love my Oppo! Got it from amazon about 2 months ago for $149. No problems with it so far and the PQ blows me away. But it's the only upconverter I've ever had so I don't really have anything to compare it with (this is also my first hdtv). Plus, it just looks super sweet.
HR20-700 -> Sony KD-34XBR970 -- Onkyo HT-SR800

spam firewall